homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree7102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #651
SS.org Regular

Jango is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshow86de View Post
Dude, I was at school and the sites I DID find were blocked. You don't have to be a dick.

My band! Progressive Metal Content!: http://www.myspace.com/maidenvoyagekiel
Jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #652
PRS SE Inspector

Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFB View Post
I'm watching it actually cause it's Posehn related
I've never really been a fan of his. He's OK on the Sarah Silverman show but other than that he's boring to me. Also kind of on and off topic at the same time, heres an awesome video I found of a Periphery song with one of my favorite movies, "The Professional", synced up to it.

"It's a long way, to the top, if you wanna rock n' roll" - Bon Scott

BE A MAN AND SIGN THE NEG REP YOU GIVE ME, PLEASE.
Riffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #653
ss.org Regular

Statue of Ages is on a distinguished road
Honestly, this album was my favorite to come out so far this year. I completely disagree with what they were saying when it came to why they didn't like it...in fact, they're the reasons I love the album.

I guess i'm just a young kid. D:

Sleep on, fly on. In your mind, you can fly.
Statue of Ages is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #654
ss.org Regular

nihilist is a jewel in the rough
I so totally agree with him.
nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #655
I'm walkin' here!!!

scottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So, Iron Maiden gets only 2 tacos?

Charlie Sheen says listen to my outlaw country demo.
scottykrieg.bandcamp.com

"All of a sudden I'm making out with someone and I'm thinking "sweet, I'm awesome at picking up chicks, I wasn't even trying... wait, this is a lot hairier than it should be, right?" - Naw38
scottro202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #656
Captain tying knots

Andii is a glorious beacon of lightAndii is a glorious beacon of lightAndii is a glorious beacon of light
Haha I find that silly because I think metal could use more melody when possible.
Andii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #657
Rainbow In The Dark

Origin is just really niceOrigin is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I like melodic, I do see what they mean and it used to frustrate me, but the cleans really grew on me. But I love Posehn so I can't get mad. That and JESUS are they baked. That had to affect the scores.

Praise the sun!
Origin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #658
SS.org Regular

corellia_guitar is a jewel in the rough
It's their opinion and they're entitled to it, but what's with the 'who is their target audience' bullshit? Since when do bands have to have a target audience, especially in metal/prog? Last I checked most people are willing to agree that artists should create music for themselves and the way they want it to be, free of constraint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andii View Post
Haha I find that silly because I think metal could use more melody when possible.
+1. There are too few talented singers in metal. Easily the weakest area of the entire genre IMO.
corellia_guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #659
Fogdiver

Malacoda is just really niceMalacoda is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Periphery... math metal? Just because they use weird time signatures doesn't make them math metal. I mean, Ion Dissonance and Psyopus are math metal. Not Periphery.

That said, I agree with some of the things he said and disagree with some. I do think that Spencer's vocals are not too great. But they're definitely not going to make the album go down to 2/5; I would still rate it like a 4/5. Maybe I've just been spoiled by listening to the older Bulb instrumentals, since I always prefer my djent to be instrumental. Idk. He made good points and bad ones.
Malacoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #660
SS.org Regular

Crometeef is a jewel in the rough
my question is how did ratt get 4 tacos
Crometeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #661
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Yeah see anyone who says "This would be better if it were all screaming" (or as Posehn put it "scary monster voice") is not approaching the music with an open mind. I could say the opposite, I tend to not dig bands as much if it's all about the cookie monster... I really liked the record because they had a good mix of both vocal styles. I get bored if it's all one or all the other, like a bit of both.

Guitars: PRS (lots <3), Suhr, Parker, Thorn, Carvin
Rigs: Kemper + Atomic CLR, H&K GrandMeister 36 + Scumback M75's/Hellatone 60's

HighGain510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #662
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffer View Post
I've never really been a fan of his. He's OK on the Sarah Silverman show but other than that he's boring to me.
I'm the opposite, I HATE everything to do with not only the Sarah Silverman Show but her in general, but I'm a huge fan of his stand up and shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin View Post
JESUS are they baked. That had to affect the scores.
Noticed this too and found it to be AWESOME. Seriously, I don't think I've ever been THAT high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malacoda View Post
Periphery... math metal? Just because they use weird time signatures doesn't make them math metal. I mean, Ion Dissonance and Psyopus are math metal. Not Periphery.

That said, I agree with some of the things he said and disagree with some. I do think that Spencer's vocals are not too great. But they're definitely not going to make the album go down to 2/5; I would still rate it like a 4/5. Maybe I've just been spoiled by listening to the older Bulb instrumentals, since I always prefer my djent to be instrumental. Idk. He made good points and bad ones.
I can't really see Periphery being anything but math metal/technical. From the few things I've heard (I'm not a djent fan at all - I only really listen to Keith's stuff - but I'm not gonna go all anti-djent with a pitchfork and shit) it doesn't fit into anything else. Not sure if it's Periphery stuff or just Bulb's stuff but things like Totla Mad and Zyglox (or whatever it's called) are pretty insane and don't exactly scream "I'm your ________ genre song!"

(´・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #663
Giddyup.

Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGain510 View Post
Yeah see anyone who says "This would be better if it were all screaming" (or as Posehn put it "scary monster voice") is not approaching the music with an open mind. I could say the opposite, I tend to not dig bands as much if it's all about the cookie monster... I really liked the record because they had a good mix of both vocal styles. I get bored if it's all one or all the other, like a bit of both.
I love Periphery for having clean and screaming, There's really only a few bands I can take with all screaming, or very dirty vox, and it's because of their already present individuality in the scream.
Prydogga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #664
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jango View Post
Dude, I was at school and the sites I DID find were blocked. You don't have to be a dick.
No offense but don't go getting your panties in a bunch.

You raised a simple question that from that quote right there, if you had waited until school was over and you were home - you could've found it yourself like you had been trying to earlier.

Gunshow's answer was a simple joke and it's not like he called you a string of profanities and what have you.

(´・ω・`)

Unread 04-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #665
Fogdiver

Malacoda is just really niceMalacoda is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:

I can't really see Periphery being anything but math metal/technical. From the few things I've heard (I'm not a djent fan at all - I only really listen to Keith's stuff - but I'm not gonna go all anti-djent with a pitchfork and shit) it doesn't fit into anything else. Not sure if it's Periphery stuff or just Bulb's stuff but things like Totla Mad and Zyglox (or whatever it's called) are pretty insane and don't exactly scream "I'm your ________ genre song!"
Yeah, Zyglrox etc are math metal, but I would just call the band in general progressive/technical metal because they really don't fit my description of math metal. Math metal is a pretty nutty term anyway because I've never heard of any bands using math to write their music except for that song pi by After the Burial, even though it seems like some bands do.
Malacoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #666
ss.org Regular

MSalonen is a jewel in the rough
I agree with almost everything Posehn said, except that I like clean vocals. And he stated his opinion really aware of his own opinions and tastes.

I just didn't care for Spencer's clean vocals. He's not a bad singer, he has great range. But there's also the factor of delivery in a singer beyond their technical ability. And I didn't like Spencer's delivery.

To me, it lacked balls. Not because his voice is high, just look at singers like Dickinson or Halford. That's just how it came off to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crometeef View Post
my question is how did ratt get 4 tacos
Because RATT are awesome. The album is great, and they write solid songs.
MSalonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #667
MFB
ExBendable

I have a hinting suspicion that NO band REALLY uses math to come up with their riffs (except for the aforementioned 'Pi')

Math metal is just used to describe that all-over-the-place, technical sound with usually accompanied by an unusual vocal style that switches between clean and dirty (or dirty and dirtier )

This post brought to you by my own insanity

(´・ω・`)

Unread 04-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #668
SS.org Regular

Quote:
No offense but don't go getting your panties in a bunch.

You raised a simple question that from that quote right there, if you had waited until school was over and you were home - you could've found it yourself like you had been trying to earlier.

Gunshow's answer was a simple joke and it's not like he called you a string of profanities and what have you.
Sorry. Got sick of that over at UG, so I don't respond well to it.

Unread 04-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #669
Avant Temporal

right_to_rage is just really niceright_to_rage is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
"Our lead singer would be Spencer Sotelo who's voice goes up like and angel and down like a wounded ox." If Posehn knew that than maybe he would get it.

For someone who has never heard Periphery or music as complex as theirs, it would be wise to hear it more than once because its not easy for a beginner. So, I hope he listens to it again and eats more tacos.
right_to_rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:24 PM   #670
SS.org Regular

Deathbringer769 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by right_to_rage View Post
For someone who has never heard Periphery or music as complex as theirs, it would be wise to hear it more than once because its not easy for a beginner. So, I hope he listens to it again and eats more tacos.
Music as complex as theirs? He says in the video he listens to shit like Dillinger Escape Plan.. I wouldn't call him a beginner. He might be a little closed minded but he's been around the metal block a few times.
Deathbringer769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:25 PM   #671
SS.org Regular

Bobo is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
No, DON'T just do scary monster

"Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity ; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #672
Real. Groggy. Human.

lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I know Periphery has been in Milwaukee(at The Rave, and I missed them) at least once. Just keep checking their Myspace to see their upcoming tour dates.
lobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:29 PM   #673
Classy
Super Moderator

Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
He would've loved the original version of Icarus Lives.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLCİ
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:29 PM   #674
Freemanologist

Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I agree completely. My opinion (which I'll get flamed for), is that Periphery doesn't need clean vocals, well, maybe not Spencer's clean vocals. I enjoy their music more as instrumentals.

To right to rage - Posehn listens to DEP. How is that not as complex as Periphery?

Liberty has never come from the government.
Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.
The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
- Woodrow Wilson
Chickenhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #675
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobee View Post
I know Periphery has been in Milwaukee(at The Rave, and I missed them) at least once. Just keep checking their Myspace to see their upcoming tour dates.
That's disappointing :/ Hopefully the come through soon.