homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree7390Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-29-2011, 01:39 AM   #3651
Zei
SS.org Regular

Zei will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't care about him asking for donations, but dantejayg has a point now. Just because he works hard doesn't entitle him to anything.

I think it's fine asking for a bit of help, but making excuses for it is needless. Saying "I need a little help getting my rig started, anything you are willing to donate is helpful" should be fine, and there shouldn't be any bitching about it. Either do it, or don't. It's not like he's threatening anyone or anything.

http://soundcloud.com/nicholas-nicoletti

Check out my stuff? You won't regret it.
Zei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 01:55 AM   #3652

bulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantejayg85 View Post
How exactly does he work harder than most? Please explain that... I work a full time and have a wife and kid that I fully support plus car payments mortgage etc and I'm also in a band so does that entitle me to donations too?
You could always do that, and you might be surprised to find that you actually get some. But then again maybe not with your rotten attitude. Look we get it, you dont want to donate you dont approve. And yet all your whining has amounted to nothing, we are still doing it, Spence got a lot of donations, and you just look butthurt and jealous. Cut your losses and drop it dude, at this point you are just imposing your opinion repeatedly to no avail.

If you really are in a band i highly recommend you take a good look at how you talk to people, as it is definitely not doing you any favors, good luck with that...
bulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 01:57 AM   #3653

bulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei View Post
I don't care about him asking for donations, but dantejayg has a point now. Just because he works hard doesn't entitle him to anything.

I think it's fine asking for a bit of help, but making excuses for it is needless. Saying "I need a little help getting my rig started, anything you are willing to donate is helpful" should be fine, and there shouldn't be any bitching about it. Either do it, or don't. It's not like he's threatening anyone or anything.
Whether Spence works hard or not was never the point, i was just seeing some people say things like "he should get a job" which shows that you guys dont realize that he works full time when he goes home and gives lessons on top of that. Completely disrespectful.
Unread 06-29-2011, 01:57 AM   #3654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Crowe View Post
I actually can't understand the issue with Spencer asking for donations on his personal Facebook account. Even if he did just sit on his ass all day, what does it matter?
Some people are just bitter and have no place better to take it out than on the internet.
Hemi-Powered Drone likes this.
Unread 06-29-2011, 01:58 AM   #3655

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantejayg85 View Post
That answers nothing. Let me get this straight, he works harder then most because why? He has to work a job and OMG support himself? What is he like 14? How is that working harder then most? That's called being an adult, you know that part of life after you turn 18 and you don't live off mommy and daddy anymore? It's not a new concept or anything it's been happening for years....
IF YOU DONT WANT TO DONATE YOU DONT HAVE TO <---- (new concept for you perhaps, seriously think about it, it might blow your mind haha!)
Unread 06-29-2011, 02:01 AM   #3656
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
What a loser. I don't ask for donations.

I take them.

...., why does everyone think that their stupid little opinion is so important? ....ing internet...
USMarine75 and Bigfan like this.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 02:03 AM   #3657
Zei
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulb View Post
Whether Spence works hard or not was never the point, i was just seeing some people say things like "he should get a job" which shows that you guys dont realize that he works full time when he goes home and gives lessons on top of that. Completely disrespectful.
Oh I know it wasn't. But some people were bringing it up like it was an excuse. It really isn't, and it shouldn't have even been brought up anyways.

I'm pretty sure you sound like you're ready to drop the subject

I've always wondered, does producing music for people pay well at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Armada View Post
What a loser. I don't ask for donations.

I take them.

...., why does everyone think that their stupid little opinion is so important? ....ing internet...

Unread 06-29-2011, 02:08 AM   #3658
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
I don't work on the same level as Misha, but yes--it can definitely get your bills paid...
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 02:10 AM   #3659
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Depends what your idea of good money is and what you're producing. Some people aren't happy unless they have a 10 million dollar house and a ferrari and some people think $100,000 a year is a lot.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 02:12 AM   #3660
Zei
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Depends what your idea of good money is and what you're producing. Some people aren't happy unless they have a 10 million dollar house and a ferrari and some people think $100,000 a year is a lot.
By well, I mean enough to live off of and still have a bit of spending money. Nothing too extravagant, but a bit. Y'know?

Unread 06-29-2011, 03:02 AM   #3661
prh
SS.org Regular

prh has much to be proud ofprh has much to be proud ofprh has much to be proud ofprh has much to be proud ofprh has much to be proud ofprh has much to be proud of
i dont get whats so complex about the idea of supporting an artist if you like what they do. have none of you ever bought a CD before?

actually dont answer that, this is 2011 after all
TheSilentWater likes this.
prh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 03:10 AM   #3662
Steel Panther Fan

dreamermind is just really nicedreamermind is just really nice
this thread is turns out to be typical blabbermouth nonsense.
if you want to support Spencer do that if not then I don't see why you should judge him. For example Keith Merrow bought some recording equipment for donated money and his latest release sounds way better than previous ones.
dreamermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 04:59 AM   #3663
The Abiding Dude

mhickman2 is just really nicemhickman2 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Misha really wasted his time on these posts. Honestly, the fact that he is defending Spencer like he is speaks volumes about the kind of support Spencer has with Periphery. I for one find no harm in asking for donations. It's as simple as yes or no, with out any additional words to be said other than, "Thank you." or "Your welcome."
mhickman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 05:10 AM   #3664
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
some people think $100,000 a year is a lot.
Don't want to throw this off topic...but this post implies that you think it's not. How is it not a lot?
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 05:12 AM   #3665
SS.org Regular

Bradd is a jewel in the rough
u know who i hate for asking for TAX FREE donations? the ....ing churches ! .... them religious ....s! (pardon the language)

anywho, id give spence some money, but im a broke ass ...... at the moment.

but ill buy ya's all a beer in brisbane if ya want?

http://www.soundcloud.com/projekttile
http://www.reverbnation.com/projekttile
http://www.facebook.com/projekttile
- similar to Karnivool/Tool/Helmet Etc etc.

I use Ibanez and PRS guitars, and Line 6 hardware.
Bradd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 05:14 AM   #3666
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
Don't want to throw this off topic...but this post implies that you think it's not. How is it not a lot?
Canadian tax structure
DVRP likes this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 05:22 AM   #3667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei View Post
Oh I know it wasn't. But some people were bringing it up like it was an excuse. It really isn't, and it shouldn't have even been brought up anyways.

I'm pretty sure you sound like you're ready to drop the subject

I've always wondered, does producing music for people pay well at all?

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png
It pays amazingly well, if i were to do it all year, i would be rich. Sadly i just prefer being in a band, but its always a good fallback, and i produce bands to survive throughout the year. When you tour 6-9 months a year, it just gets very difficult to find a job that will hire you given that you wont be working there most of the time, and for that slot to be open for you whenever you are back it takes even more luck, especially in this job climate. So i am definitely in a lucky and unique situation with this. Spence tries to produce as much as possible, but between working, giving lessons, and having to work on new material so you guys can have new music to listen to, there just isnt time in the day.
Unread 06-29-2011, 05:27 AM   #3668
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
It pays amazingly well
That's interesting and promising. I was under the impression that it's incredibly hard to get by unless you're working in a very reputable studio for big name mainstream acts.
If you were more full time, how many bands could say you'd work with each year?
How do you go about charging - set price per project or by the hour or what?
Is it actually possible to organise royalties?
I just can't imagine it working out, and as I talk to people in the industry it seems a common fact that you wont even break even for a good while at best and you're going to be poor for life
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #3669
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Well this thread turned kinda ugly. I'd donate if I could. I do hope Spence is able to get his music out to the world soon. As someone who has tried for a long time to form a decent band and get recording, I can understand the frustration of having ideas and not being able to bring them to life.
Guitarman700 likes this.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #3670
For Mod

Fiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm just going to ask this straight up, I may have questions later heh.

Do you think its possible to actually gain a reputable status producing, coming out of no where. I mean you did it, but this coming from an 18 year old, down in Australia. Should I go down a career path in sound engineering or not, I haven't put much effort in to school so I don't think I'm going to get into the courses I was hoping to.

I spend roughly 2-3 hours playing guitar each day if I'm not working, with at least 1 hour solid practice on technique. The rest of my time is made up of reading countless threads on music, reading sound engineering stuff. Its all I seem to be doing in the last couple of months, although i haven't been able to put the reading to test properly yet due to my macbook freezing when i have around 2-3 tracks running, but i have $1200 now, ready to put down into recording equipment if I do go down this path.

Edit: Sorry if this is derailing from the topic of periphery, but it seems to be whats being talked about besides spencer at the moment.
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #3671

dantejayg85 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
You could always do that, and you might be surprised to find that you actually get some. But then again maybe not with your rotten attitude. Look we get it, you dont want to donate you dont approve. And yet all your whining has amounted to nothing, we are still doing it, Spence got a lot of donations, and you just look butthurt and jealous. Cut your losses and drop it dude, at this point you are just imposing your opinion repeatedly to no avail.

If you really are in a band i highly recommend you take a good look at how you talk to people, as it is definitely not doing you any favors, good luck with that...
Lol first off it wasn't whining, it was stating an opinion, this is a forum that's kinda what people do on them, and just because it differed from your viewpoint doesn't make it whining.......Actually I wouldn't say to no avail it got you riled up enough to start a debate, plus, the only one getting butthurt on here is you bro lol

I find it kinda funny that you think by me stating my view that im "imposing" my opinion on others, now what I can't understand is why by your logic I could ignore spencers post or anybody elses posts that I didn't agree with, but that doesn't apply to you? You HAD to reply to mine? Also by your reasoning spencers post wasn't affecting me, which is true, but my posts weren't affecting you, so why reply?
Having a difference of opinion is not equal to having a rotten attitude I just say things as I see them and im not on the kiss bulb and peripheries ass bandwagon, if I agree with you cool, if I don't that's cool too,it's what keeps things interesting. No need to take everything personally bro

"dantejayg85: your entry sounded like something you'd hear in a final fantasy game, when the characters discover a massive robot factory where the enemy is creating his army, and as the camera zooms out you see square mile after square mile filled with them in my oppinion anyway."
-p0ke
dantejayg85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #3672
Another Sinking Shit

Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
You HAD to reply to mine?
If he didn't he would get even more shit on his head.

Seriously, give the dudes a brake. If you want to hear Peripherys second album sooner, go donate. If you don't, don't donate. Simple as that.

Quote:
but my posts weren't affecting you, so why reply?
Again, they were. If bulb would have just sit down silent and watch people go mad, he would (as a person that takes contact with fans) have gotten shit on his head, plus things would still be uncleared. It would have affected the band if he didn't respond any, but just leave an FB update "begging for money" (note the quotes) there and continue his everyday life.
Kurkkuviipale is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #3673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurkkuviipale View Post
If he didn't he would get even more shit on his head.

Seriously, give the dudes a brake. If you want to hear Peripherys second album sooner, go donate. If you don't, don't donate. Simple as that.

Again, they were. If bulb would have just sit down silent and watch people go mad, he would (as a person that takes contact with fans) have gotten shit on his head, plus things would still be uncleared. It would have affected the band if he didn't respond any, but just leave an FB update "begging for money" (note the quotes) there and continue his everyday life.
Ok so which is it then? either post's don't affect people or they do.
It can't be, well my post's don't affect you, but yours affect me.
If you want to argue that my posts affect him then Spencer's affected me too, because as a friend of periphery on facebook it popped up in my news feed.

I think the bottom line is he/they took what I said way to personally
and then did exactly what they accused me of doing, saying I was jealous and butthurt and had a rotten attitude, I didn't even mention Bulb and I didn't call names, I questioned why a grown man that's in a Band that's signed and touring needed donations to buy gear to further HIS career when the rest of us have to save and nobody is helping us to further our careers?
How is that such a horrible question?
How do I have a rotten attitude?
So they have the right to ask for money that other people work for, but we don't have the right to question why he would need that money that we may be sending him? Screw that.

And to quote you once again
Quote:
If bulb would have just sit down silent and watch people go mad, he would (as a person that takes contact with fans) have gotten shit on his head, plus things would still be uncleared.
Well maybe they should have been more professional and thought about that and explained to people his situation instead of coming on here and arrogantly telling people that they don't know anything about the life of a touring musician, and how dare all us people ask why and where our hard earned money is going.

Saying if you don't like it then don't donate is a cop out, there's a lot of people that may have been inclined to donate, had they explained the situation and presented their case better, but throwing up a post on facebook asking for money with no back story or reasons is unprofessional and tacky, but most people don't seem to get that because periphery seems to be the heroes of 18-24 year old bedroom musicians who are just willing to throw their money away because now they can say they helped pay for periphery's next album...

Sorry I just like knowing where my money is going and why a person that isn't disabled and fully capable of working needs anyone else's money,
seems reasonable to me, but then again, since I've now been enlightened by Bulb (Pun definitely intended) I see that I have a rotten attitude.
Riffer and Wingchunwarrior like this.

"dantejayg85: your entry sounded like something you'd hear in a final fantasy game, when the characters discover a massive robot factory where the enemy is creating his army, and as the camera zooms out you see square mile after square mile filled with them in my oppinion anyway."
-p0ke
Unread 06-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #3674

Quote:
Actually it's exactly the point.
No coming on here and telling people that have supported you by buying your albums etc that their butthurt and jealous for wanting to know why he needs our money is completely disrespectful.
Quote:
Some people are just bitter and have no place better to take it out than on the internet.
Well where else would you have me talk about it? He asked for money over the internet, logic would then dictate that I respond over the internet.

And by the way I couldn't care less about any of this, I just like debating, if your getting all wound up over this I feel sorry for you.

-p0ke
Unread 06-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #3675
SS.org Regular

OlisDead is a glorious beacon of lightOlisDead is a glorious beacon of lightOlisDead is a glorious beacon of light
Make love, not war^^

The only thing I'd say is donate if you want, don't donate if you don't want. End of the story.
pineappleman likes this.
OlisDead is offline   Reply With Quote