homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
I'm walkin' here!!!

scottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Minus The Bear? (Non-metal and odd timing content)

Hey guys,

A girl I met over spring break last year showed them to me. I figured ss.org could appreciate them, with all their cool odd-timing stuff

I highly recommend them to any musician, anybody who likes prog, or anybody who smokes pot

enjoy!

Charlie Sheen says listen to my outlaw country demo.
scottykrieg.bandcamp.com

"All of a sudden I'm making out with someone and I'm thinking "sweet, I'm awesome at picking up chicks, I wasn't even trying... wait, this is a lot hairier than it should be, right?" - Naw38
scottro202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
used to take a lot of LSD and listen to them in college. good stuff indeed.

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good band. I have Planet of Ice, but none of the rest. I should really pick up more.
pink freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink freud View Post
Good band. I have Planet of Ice, but none of the rest. I should really pick up more.
I find Menos El Oso to be heaps better than Planet of Ice in terms of writing, go out and buy it then take loads of drugs and bathe in it

(´・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

t o k u g a w a is just really nicet o k u g a w a is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I've been into these guys for sooo long. Like since like 2002! I've seen em about 7 times.

Their guitar player, Dave, is so creative. I've never seen anybody rock out more than him. He uses like 6 Line 6 DL4's, and he'll loop a part and chop it up, and barley play his guitar the rest of the song, just tap dancing rhythms on the pedals. He is a master of tapping melodies also. One of my fave bands, and I'm so surprised they aren't bigger than they are.
t o k u g a w a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
I can safely say, the chords they use make it a bitch to learn if you aren't used to barring and having your fingers real tight on the board

(´・ω・`)

Unread 06-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
Metal Teddy Bear

auxioluck is a name known to allauxioluck is a name known to allauxioluck is a name known to allauxioluck is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by t o k u g a w a View Post
I've been into these guys for sooo long. Like since like 2002! I've seen em about 7 times.

Their guitar player, Dave, is so creative. I've never seen anybody rock out more than him. He uses like 6 Line 6 DL4's, and he'll loop a part and chop it up, and barley play his guitar the rest of the song, just tap dancing rhythms on the pedals. He is a master of tapping melodies also. One of my fave bands, and I'm so surprised they aren't bigger than they are.
Same here. Got into them in 2003 or 2004, loved them since then.
auxioluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Silence is Violence

Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.
Their new stuff, from what I've heard has been more dance oriented than anything else. But this band has never been the band to sit still, instead taking plenty of risks. You gotta admire that.
Bloody_Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
Such a strange numb

-mouse- is just really nice-mouse- is just really nice
Minus the bear are cool. A friend told me a lot of my stuff sounds like them (despite being alt metal?) so I've been listening to them a lot and getting different ideas.
-mouse- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
No privacy hedge.

anne is just really niceanne is just really nice
Let's play guitar in a five guitar band is basically the reason I made a five-guitar band. :x I heart Minus the Bear!
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
What's a Panini?

eventhetrees is just really niceeventhetrees is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Anything Botch related is awesome... (russian circles... )

Love this band.
eventhetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

etiam is a jewel in the rough
Good group, and plenty of fun live. I dig their matching white Mesa combos, too.

The newest album is by far the 'slickest'. Much more steady in its pacing and smoothly produced. A few dancy bits--'Animal Backwards' is as close as they've ever come to a dance anthem, beyond even '+2 Points'--and a couple really rather pretty parts as well. Altogether more consistent than 'Planet of Ice', but with fewer really high peaks.

Also, clinically proven to be the best driving music ever.

--Circumspice--
etiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 04:30 AM   #13
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Admittedly I'm only really properly familiar with Planet Of Ice and to a lesser degree, They Make Beer Commercials Like This EP, but seeing this thread inspired me to actually spin their latest album for the first time, which had just been sitting around for weeks unlistened.
I just love their extreme creativity and the musician is so awesome.
Better yet, is how they combine math rock, prog rock and just general experimental quirky compositional ideas and extremely high levels of musicianship with a catchy, indie pop kinda sound.
It just lets the music breathe more with the poppier elements, but yet they know how to just go full tilt with having that unique Minus the Bear sound
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 04:41 AM   #14
Banned

JoshuaLogan is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I love Minus The Bear. Menos El Oso is definitely my favorite album by them, but I like everything they've ever done. The new cd is cool too. I like it better than Planet of Ice. It has somewhat of a different sound though... it's more dancey and maybe slightly more mainstream, but it still retains their quirky sound with all the electronica elements, tapping, and little blips and bleeps. haha.
JoshuaLogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 05:34 AM   #15

SD83 is a jewel in the rough
Never heard of them before, but sounds cool to me. For some reason reminds me of Tool a bit, which is definitly a good thing.
SD83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #16
What's a Panini?

eventhetrees is just really niceeventhetrees is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I really like Planet of Ice a lot, I've been listening to that album the most lately...
eventhetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #17
SS Contributor

wannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFB View Post
I find Menos El Oso to be heaps better than Planet of Ice in terms of writing, go out and buy it then take loads of drugs and bathe in it

I saw them 2 weeks ago and they put on a great ....ing show. The guitar player is sick
wannabguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #18
ss.org Regular

boni is a jewel in the rough
I love Minus the Bear and everything they do.
boni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #19
MFB
ExBendable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabguitarist View Post

I saw them 2 weeks ago and they put on a great ....ing show. The guitar player is sick
You're lucky you told me this AFTER I sent you those files, or else I may have been ".... this guy and his 'I go to Minus the Bear concerts and enjoy myself' attitude!"

I've yet to see them

(´・ω・`)

Unread 06-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #20
Frets? What frets?

Varcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud of
Never heard of them before reading this thread, but colour me impressed.

SchecterWhore: "Development, phase four. Beethoven
takes you for a ride through space in his Pontiac Trans Am."
Varcolac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 12:52 AM   #21
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
So I had a chance to finally hear the new album a bit more.
Just so goddamn catchy.
Songs are just so well written
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote