homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
The Tremol-No Guy

Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Jemfest X....now with Vai!!!

Hey folks!

Jemfest X, our 10th anniversary, is happening June 18-19, 2010.

Artists this year include
:
- Rob Balducci
- Mike Martin
- Tony Smotherman
- Featured On Fridays
- Fernando Pareta
- Angel Vivaldi
- Shane Regal
- Shelby Williford
A truck-load of raffle items (including a JEM *and* a Universe from Ibanez!), door prizes, tons of rare guitars on display, t-shirts, and a bunch of great people who all love guitar-based music.
More info: JEMFEST.COM

In addition to the insane talent over the two nights of Jemfest X, we aligned stars and planets (by using The Force, of course) to get Steve Vai to join us this year!
Steve is offering his Alien Guitar Secrets master class on Sat. afternoon!
Here's a little promo Vai did for the event:

Tickets are still available, but they are going FAST.
This one is MUCH more intimate than the other AGS master classes, so get your ticket early.
More info: Steve Vai: Alien Guitar Secrets Masterclass 2008

Steve will be giving a "key note" speech as well!
No- I don't know what he's going to say or talk about. The whole 'key' and 'note' part just kills me considering who's doing the talking.
Jemfest is also doing a tribute to our long-time friend, Paul Specht. Paul was Jemfest's link with Ibanez since day one, and did everything in his power to help us make Jemfest great. EVERY Jemfest attendee will be asked to sign a JEM guitar that will be given to Paul's son after the event.

Jemfest X also features a LIVE WEBCAST! Each night, from the artists first note to their last, we will roll the webcam so those that aren't able to make it to the event can enjoy it via their computer.
Sorry, but Vai's AGS master class will NOT be part of any webcast. You want do that that in person anyway.

Getting to Jemfest is a piece of cake.
Flights are cheap and easy, from almost anywhere in the country. Check Orbitz, Expeida, and Kayak.com to score great deals.
Hotel rooms are $89/night if you mention the group code when booking. Split that with a buddy and save a few bucks. (or share a twin bed like Chris and Drew and save even more! )
The hotel room jams after the shows each night are some of the most fun you can have with clothes on!

8 incredible artists FOR FREE, and Vai's AGS master class....all in the same place, over the same weekend.
BE THERE!

"Thank YOU, Jim Day!"
Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-31-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
ss.org Regular

AliceAxe is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
gee I wish I could go to that
AliceAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Singlecoils = tr00

JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.
Cool to see Angel in there, he seems to be doing good for himself!

Guitar player and vocalist of Mark Zero: https://www.facebook.com/MarkZeroOfficial
JohnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
z o m b i e 1 3

Zombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Awesome + Vai!
Sounds like a fun event, we need a SS.org fest...
Zombie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

blister7321 is a jewel in the rough
mike martin from all that remains?

edit: nevermind
blister7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
.... me for not being in FL anymore!

Damn, this sounds so badass.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
Pronounced "FEE"

BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Where do you buy tickets? Am I right in assuming that the masterclass is the only thing that you have to pay for?

Self-appointed member of the Sevenstring.org Welcoming Committee
(alongside Bloody_Inferno, Zealous, Shawn, Apophis, AliceAxe, M3CHKILLA, Fred the Shred, Explorer, and Sebastian) ROFL

My Policy: If you make me laugh in a post or offer something interesting/thought-provoking, you get Rep +1. Pretty simple, right? Waiting now for incoming barrage of funny jokes.

BigPhi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
Team Ibanez

mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Goddamn that looks awesome.
mattofvengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 08:48 PM   #9

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
Good to see Vai with his 7's recently.

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Band: www.facebook.com/whisperfromheaven
For fans of Melodic-Metal.

"Once you have entered the Ocean... You have entered the food chain." - Dad
Xiphos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
The Tremol-No Guy

Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPhi84 View Post
Where do you buy tickets? Am I right in assuming that the masterclass is the only thing that you have to pay for?
Correct.
Jemfest = $0.00
Steve Vai's "Alien Guitar Secrets" Master Class = $199.

IIRC the master class Steve did in LA was $350, and it was HUGE with hundreds of people. This one will be MUCH smaller....and at a lower price. $200 to pick Steve's brain for a few hours? Helluva deal in my book.

Tickets for the AGS master class are through the AGS link on Jemfest.com.

Some inside info about the AGS master class:
- It's 3-4 hours long!!!
- There's homework!
- A variety of subjects are covered, including but not limited to: playing, the industry, writing, etc.
- There are usually a couple/few people whom Steve calls up to play with him and show what they've learned during the class (no promises, but it's happened at all the other AGS classes).
- After the class, Steve usually does a meet/greet/photo thing with the attendees. He's super-cool about signing stuff too, but try to keep it civil. Don't show up with so much stuff you could be featured in an episode of "Hoarders".

Check out the forum on Vai.com regarding previous AGS master classes and what attendees thought about it.

(Yes- I'm attending.....because I was asked to tech for Steve. )

"Thank YOU, Jim Day!"
Unread 05-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
SS Contributor

Paul Warren is just really nicePaul Warren is just really nice
That's pretty good news Kevan. Congrats on getting all of that together!

paul

Paul Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
Pronounced "FEE"

BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It's a bummer that you can't bring any recording devices into the Masterclass. With so much charisma, I'm sure that it would be awesome to capture and replay over and over again. Besides, I'm sure all the knowledge that Steve would share would be hard to take down on paper!

Self-appointed member of the Sevenstring.org Welcoming Committee
(alongside Bloody_Inferno, Zealous, Shawn, Apophis, AliceAxe, M3CHKILLA, Fred the Shred, Explorer, and Sebastian) ROFL

My Policy: If you make me laugh in a post or offer something interesting/thought-provoking, you get Rep +1. Pretty simple, right? Waiting now for incoming barrage of funny jokes.

BigPhi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
The Tremol-No Guy

One thing I forgot to mention is:
ROB BALDUCCI CLINIC ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON- (free!)
Rob is going to put on one of his clinics on Friday afternoon.
There is no charge to attend, but be ready to LEARN!
Rob has hand-outs and homework for you as well.
The clinic lasts a couple of hours and covers TONS of aspects of playing, touring, etc.
I'll ask Rob if he does a 'jam' at the end. If not, I'm sure he'll jump up on stage at the Jemfest Jam one or both of the nights.
He's also notorious for knocking on hotel room doors to get in on some of the late night room jams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Warren View Post
That's pretty good news Kevan. Congrats on getting all of that together!

paul
Thanks Ken.
I mean...Paul. LOL
(only he and I get that joke, but damn it's funny. )
It's been months worth of work, but it's all come together nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPhi84 View Post
It's a bummer that you can't bring any recording devices into the Masterclass. With so much charisma, I'm sure that it would be awesome to capture and replay over and over again. Besides, I'm sure all the knowledge that Steve would share would be hard to take down on paper!
Actually, it's a good thing that recording is prohibited.
Running a camera while trying to digest all the info a speaker is putting out is REALLY hard to do. Sure, you have a recording of it so you can watch it later, but.....what happens when he calls on you? Ooops...you were jackin' around with the zoom or swapping out a memory card.....and now you're lost and can't answer the question.

My suggestion: go and enjoy the master class, and suggest to Steve that he put an AGS DVD pack together!

"Thank YOU, Jim Day!"
Unread 06-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMB13 View Post
Awesome + Vai!
Sounds like a fun event, we need a SS.org fest...

thats a good idea a fest for the board members or one dedicated to 7 and extended range gitars specificaly

That would be nice if they could offer a DVD of the class for those who attended and can't attend , but perhaps its a bit impractical because of downloading and bootlegging etc.

it nice that there is going to be web cast of the show though
Unread 06-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #15
Bring the gain

MikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMB13 View Post
we need a SS.org fest...
Completely agreed.

Lethal Force Fitness: Hardcore fitness for hardcore musicians.
KEEP IT GRIM IN THE GYM
MikeH is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 05:20 AM   #16
www.crystalfawn.com

crystalbass has a spectacular aura about
Can't wait to play at Jemfest!!!!! Kevan, will Pop Psyche, Ohio Eric & Leon be there again??

And yes, those room jams WILL happen this yr....

Solos Rule!
crystalbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #17
The Tremol-No Guy

Hey Crystal!

Popsyche will be giving us that great sound he's known for, so he's in charge of the faders all weekend.
Leon's convoy'ing with me again this year. He's also doing the webcast! He's been checking out cool new stuff for it too. Should be slick.
OhioEric is recovering from some health issues, so he's not going to travel down this year. But don't worry; he still loves you.

PSSSST....guys: Crystal has a bunch of fitness model friends that like to come see her play.
Hint. Hint.

To those that mentioned an SS.ORG-FEST, we did that. In 2007 we had a very large contingent of seven-ers join us. SS.org had it's own table with 7-specific artists and merch. Though small (it's first time out), it was fun and worked out well (I think hotel security only asked them to turn down three times. LOL).
We'd be happy to have the SS.org'ers join us this year and in in future years.

"Thank YOU, Jim Day!"
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #18
/)'3'(\

ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.
Damn my family for not living in Florida right now!!!!!

Ride the wings of death!

"Seriously... You DO NOT headbang with your knees" Murmel

ittoa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #19
www.crystalfawn.com

crystalbass has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Hey Crystal!

Popsyche will be giving us that great sound he's known for, so he's in charge of the faders all weekend.
Leon's convoy'ing with me again this year. He's also doing the webcast! He's been checking out cool new stuff for it too. Should be slick.
OhioEric is recovering from some health issues, so he's not going to travel down this year. But don't worry; he still loves you.

PSSSST....guys: Crystal has a bunch of fitness model friends that like to come see her play.
Hint. Hint.

To those that mentioned an SS.ORG-FEST, we did that. In 2007 we had a very large contingent of seven-ers join us. SS.org had it's own table with 7-specific artists and merch. Though small (it's first time out), it was fun and worked out well (I think hotel security only asked them to turn down three times. LOL).
We'd be happy to have the SS.org'ers join us this year and in in future years.
haha, okay Kevan , thanks for the update!!!! Should be a real TRIP this year!!!! I hope OHio Eric gets well soon
See ya there! (and thanks so much for working so hard to make this all come together!!!!)

Solos Rule!
crystalbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #20
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I'll be there, and I might see if I can steal one of Eric's guitars to bring with me

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #21
Oxygen Converter

DomitianX is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I am debating if I am going to make the trek down. Thats a helluva road trip...

Old School Skaters Online
- Dedicated to us old guys that still shred the gnar!
Mel Thorpe & The Sucktones
- Completely random music for no real reason.
DomitianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #22
SS.org Regular

guitareben is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiphos68 View Post
Good to see Vai with his 7's recently.
Ye its great . I am hoping when he releases another album it will be filled with epic 7 string badassness . Pity he doesn't have true temperament frets (the curly ones) on his sevens though

Jemfest sounds awesome too. <3 ibanez jems (and universes)
guitareben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #23
The Tremol-No Guy

CHEAPER HOTEL ROOMS!!!

I just found out if you pre-pay for your hotel room, you can get it for $66.75/night!
No group code needed!

Go book online now!
JEMFEST.COM

"Thank YOU, Jim Day!"
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #24
SS Contributor

AngelVivaldi is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/AngelVivaldi is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/AngelVivaldi is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/AngelVivaldi is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/AngelVivaldi is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/AngelVivaldi is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/AngelVivaldi is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What an adventure... I first want to thank Kevan for having me back for my 4th year!

(RP from MG)
I've just arrived back to my home in NJ from Jemfest. I had a blast at the event and got to see some really awesome people I havent hung out with in quite a while! Unfortunately, it was quite a nightmare coming back home though.

Usually I have a full band come down with me, (minus 06') so traveling is usually done in road trip form. We took two cars; Jake's (bass) & Jason's (gtr) which from here is a good 17 hours or so to Orlando. The trip started wonderfully... until Jake's AC died in North Carolina-ish. Shortly thereafter his car died. Jake, being the genius that he is, somehow managed to McGeiver the fuel line issue with a tire pressure gauge...

From here on out the car worked perfectly to get to the festivities. We checked in, took a dip in the pool, got some r & r and it was time to rock the fugggg out.

Weeks ago when Kevan first filled me in that Vai planned on checking out some of the Jemfest artists on Friday night, I was incredibly skeptical. Not because I don't trust Kevan's word, but because I mean it's Steve Vai... lol With that I completely psyched myself out of the possibility that he'd show up during my set, but all the while I knew that it was a possibility no matter how small. During rehearsals I jokingly told the guys, "if he walks in we have to immediately stop whatever song we are playing and go right into Acid Reign." We found it humorous and continued on with our practice routine.

I hit the stage with my band. We're a good song in and for this set I decided not to wear my glasses. I feel very restricted wearing them if I feel the urge to let loose and rock out because theyll fly right off of my greasy/sweaty face. However, I am B-L-I-N-D w/o them. After the first song Jake looks at me and goes... "Acid Reign..." Yep, that's about when my heart fell into the deepest bowels of my asshole. I started sweating profusely and kinda sorta panicked for three seconds... then tried to pull myself together to truck through the set.

My biggest fear happened.. my "ju ju" as Mike Martin calls it was gone. I had one of those off days that pretty much every guitarist would dread had they been performing in front of Steve Vai. For the first time that I can remember I was genuinely nervous performing. In 09' alone I played about 80/90 shows, this should have been cake! Performing in a room with other guitar instrumentalists is one thing... we all know they're aware of pretty much every .... up you make. But to be performing in front of one of the most successful instrumentalists is a whooole other ball game that I didn't anticipate.

It's kinda funny... I always go all out at each show no matter the lack or abundance of people in the crowd. I make sure I'm not only performing as flawlessly as I can, but I'm also entertaining/engaging the audience. Don't get me wrong, I've never been obsessed with trying to be 100% flawless live... if anything I embrace a few flubs. Shows that I'm still human But I say it all the time... "You never know who's out there, so always give 120% percent." Figure that one out LOL

Halfway through the set, I looked at my drummer and we just laughed. I knew right then and there that there was nothing I could really do but to just try and have a good time. And from there on yeah I may not have played up to par, (w/my own standards) but I enjoyed myself.

Now the trip back home...

About 30 min into our drive back home Jake's car kept stalling. It got to the point where we knew that it was getting serious and pulled off to the next exit. For the next 3.5 hours he tried a bunch of different tactics to get it going and unfortunately none worked. The rest of us had to get back for work so he had no choice but to stay behind and figure out the next logical step to solving the dilemma. We were all severely broke and did everything we could to help him out. Luckily a former gtr student of his who attended the show is putting him up for a few nights while he gets the car towed and serviced. This was the last photo update Ive seen so far...

I have to say I've never seen anyone so overwhelmingly calm and composed during such a crisis. He took the whole experience so gracefully, it was actually pretty inspiring. It killed the rest of us to leave a man down and drive back home without him. But I'll say this, if there is anyone in the world that I know who could manage himself out of any situation it's Jake

Regardless of the off day, the misfortune on the road etc myself and the guys all sincerely enjoyed ourselves. Jemfest is loaded with genuine people and killer artists who love to have a good time and rock face. Every artist who's set I was lucky enough to catch was on top of their game and gave it their all. I really wish I could have stayed the second day of JF to catch my brother Mike Martin break his whammy bar in front of Vai hahaha I have a feeling that he was the shining star of this year's event and made quite the impression on Mr. Vai!

Now Available on iTunes, Amazon & BigCartel iTunes | Amazon | BigCartel
YouTube.com/AngelVivaldi | facebook.com/angelvivaldi
AngelVivaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #25
ss.org Regular

sorry to hear about all your car troubles. Atleast you made it to the gig!
also you shouldnt be nervous about someone watching you. Steve is just another guy with a guitar who has made his fair share of mistakes too. I thought he speech was interesting about his curtains lol
I thought your band sounded good from what i could tell from the webcast. Mike was one of my faves too