homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Sean Babiniec is just really niceSean Babiniec is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The "Critique my Technique" Thread!!!

Hey everybody!!!

I have been wanting to make a thread like this for a while but I have been too scurred .

I have seen a lot of videos on this forum with some good and bad criticism being delivered, and I just figured that we should make a thread to so we could post videos and have our peers let us know what is good and bad about our technique!!!

Please try to keep it constructive, but hey, you can say what you want.

As scary as it is, I will go first. Here is a video of me testing a new solo out for one of my bands new songs.

***EDIT***

Here is the full song. I messed up on the diminished taps in the solo, but you can just see the solo in the vid above

Let the games begin!!!!!

~Sean

I finally has RG2027!!!!

Last edited by Sean Babiniec; 05-26-2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Moar Vids!!!!
Sean Babiniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

guitareben is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Great man! you got some skills .

Ok, there was something not nice about the first 2 notes of the solo :P. Its not the note, its just the tone i think (or is it out of tune slightly? i don't know haha). I personally would have less treble on my tone, but thats just me. Maybe some more bass + mids to.

Also, you might want to work on your vibrato a bit, i am not sure, just it didn't appear as if you put THAT much vibrato into some of the notes, but again, it might just be me or something. (and also, i tend to like steve vai type vibrato - massive!)

Now, you may want to vary the licks and stuff used in the solo, lots of it is just runs down scale etc ^^ . (don't take this the wrong way btw i am just saying my dislikes and trying to help you improve - and remember - its only my opinion ^^) Sweeps and just variation in the shredding (dunno what like XD - paul gilbert or jeff loomis licks? or, even better, spend ages coming up with your own unique to you licks. Yea, when you play guitar spend some of the time just trying to come up with new interesting licks. They are part of what define you as a player) - I am presuming your more of a shredder, and you can't really not shred over metal backings like that haha (though if possible mebe come up with something more melodic? i don't know haha XD).

So yea, tone (less treble more bass mids?), Vibrato and bends, and licks . You got some skills btw to ^^.
Anyway, there some of the things I would do, and if you don't want to do any of them, fair enough :P .
guitareben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Not seen you around for what seems like ages dude! You posted a good couple of lesson videos too ^^

All I can really say as far as your video is concerned however is that you could definitely work on your vibrato. If you like the smaller "nervous" style then that's cool, but on a totally personal level the wider, more expressive type seems to fit rock a little more readily - that lovely wide Malmsteen/John Sykes style.

Other than that, nice (perhaps try to break up your runs with different note groupings to stop them feeling quite so rhythmically static?)

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

Antimatter is a jewel in the rough
I don't really have a vibrato "thing", but it does add to solos a lot so I agree with these guys, it would be good to work on it.
Antimatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Thanks guys! Yeah I know that my vibrato is bad and it is definitely something I have to work on! I really appreciate the critique.

And Shady, yeah I have been a silent visitor the last few months. I don't really want to post on things when somebody already said something similar to my opinion, you know what I mean???

Thanks to all!

I finally has RG2027!!!!
Unread 05-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Babiniec View Post
Thanks guys! Yeah I know that my vibrato is bad and it is definitely something I have to work on! I really appreciate the critique.

And Shady, yeah I have been a silent visitor the last few months. I don't really want to post on things when somebody already said something similar to my opinion, you know what I mean???

Thanks to all!
Yeah, for sure dude - good to see you about though

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Bounce The Tits

Cadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Definitely work on your vibrato OP. It might just be me but bad vibrato makes me cringe like nails on a chalkboard.
Cadavuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadavuh View Post
Definitely work on your vibrato OP. It might just be me but bad vibrato makes me cringe like nails on a chalkboard.
Yeah I noticed that mine just looks like my finger is having a seizure on the fretboard

I was watching myself play at band practice tonight, and I can get a good vibrato and I just realized this:

I spend too much of my energy making sure I play the right note on the right time, and not enough on expressing each note!

So I just learned a very valuable lesson thanks to you guys!!!!!

Anybody else want to be critiqued? These guys know what they are talking about!!!

~Sean

I finally has RG2027!!!!
Unread 05-22-2010, 02:22 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Anybody else want to be critiqued? These guys know what they are talking about!!!
~Sean
Soon as I get my guitar back from its refret and get my GCSE's out the way i will
Unread 05-22-2010, 03:44 AM   #10
ss.org Regular

Tomo009 is a jewel in the rough
How did you get your tremelo picking so incredibly tight? In hte video it looks liek your hand isn't even moving. I don't think I can even make a move that subtle without trying to play.
Tomo009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 06:30 AM   #11
-.-

Daggorath is a jewel in the rough
Timing and vibrato for sure. Make sure you're aware of the note groupings you're trying to fit over the bars and concentrate on getting the notes to be equal and even whilst keeping in mind where the accents fall.

"Imagine your eyes dancing on the notes you wanna play
and forget about whether your hands can do it or not"
- Allan Holdsworth

For Sale: Laney VH100R - 400 [UK] PM for details.
Daggorath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #12
ss.org Regular

AliceAxe is a jewel in the rough
good idea for a thread

I overall thought your playing was great
I like your vibrato too.
For criticisms, I thought the first long slide you did was not quite on/smooth (something I have trouble with myself) and your bends could be a little more dead on and expressive IMO. also didnt care for he sound of the assending run, just the choice of notes, call it personal preference, but thought it was well executed.

I should post something, I realy need the critque and advice! hmm I dont have a suitable vid of just me playing I'd like to post just yet.... of my few vids they have some sort of distracting hoohaa going on in them.
AliceAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo009 View Post
How did you get your tremelo picking so incredibly tight? In hte video it looks liek your hand isn't even moving. I don't think I can even make a move that subtle without trying to play.
Thanks man!

Well the key to developing alternate picking is to be extremely relaxed. I have spent about the last 6 months working on doing that. That is why it looks like my right hand is barely moving, and if you watch closely, there is minimal tension in any of the muscles in my right arm (including shoulder, bicepts, etc...)

Quote:
Daggorath Timing and vibrato for sure. Make sure you're aware of the note groupings you're trying to fit over the bars and concentrate on getting the notes to be equal and even whilst keeping in mind where the accents fall.
Thanks man! Yeah, the timing part was kinda tricky on this one. On the quick descending run at the end, I didn't want to put my accents on the quarter note beats, that is just done too much. I was trying to accent quarter note triplets (so 6 notes per 4 beats), which proved to be somewhat difficult. I like the way it sounds though, the notes kinda flow inbetween the beat instead of right on it.

Quote:
also didnt care for he sound of the assending run, just the choice of notes, call it personal preference, but thought it was well executed.
Yeah that was just ascending in groups of 4 with the last note being an open E, following up in the mode of harmonic minor (I end on the major 7th). I liked the idea but in practice it doesn't sound so great so I think I will modify that part.

Thank you all for such great advice! Reps coming your way!

~Sean

I finally has RG2027!!!!
Unread 05-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #14
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
My main problem with this video is well.......it doesn't really allow for much of a technique critique at all
Sure, there is some fast picking, some tapping, a bend or two, some vibrato, but that's barely scratching the surface of what guitar technique is truly about IMO.
What separates the technique of the average bedroom shredder to the very best is really know what technique is.
Technique is not all the obvious factors like how fast you pick, or how well you tap, but little things like picking nuances, controlled sliding into other notes with careful phrasing, being able to half tone bend, full tone bends, 5 semi tone bends and all in between, being able to vary up your vibrato technique.........the list goes on.
Sure guys like Satch and Vai can play super fast, but the fact they also have all of the stuff I listed above in addition to the obvious speed techniques is what makes them truly technical virtuosic players.
Hell, while David Gilmour might not be a "fast" guitarist as such, his overall command of the instrument and his supreme level of nuance and subtlety, IMHO, puts him in a technical level FAR above many so called "shred" guitarists.
Listen to guys like him, you'll learn a lot about not only guitar playing but just music in general, seriously.
Also take into account rhythm guitar. That's a huge aspect of guitar technique and something often overlooked by some "shred" guitarists.
You gotta have the rhythm thing down too, so make some videos displaying your rhythm technique.

You just gotta look at the big picture.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
My main problem with this video is well.......it doesn't really allow for much of a technique critique at all
Sure, there is some fast picking, some tapping, a bend or two, some vibrato, but that's barely scratching the surface of what guitar technique is truly about IMO.
What separates the technique of the average bedroom shredder to the very best is really know what technique is.
Technique is not all the obvious factors like how fast you pick, or how well you tap, but little things like picking nuances, controlled sliding into other notes with careful phrasing, being able to half tone bend, full tone bends, 5 semi tone bends and all in between, being able to vary up your vibrato technique.........the list goes on.
Sure guys like Satch and Vai can play super fast, but the fact they also have all of the stuff I listed above in addition to the obvious speed techniques is what makes them truly technical virtuosic players.
Hell, while David Gilmour might not be a "fast" guitarist as such, his overall command of the instrument and his supreme level of nuance and subtlety, IMHO, puts him in a technical level FAR above many so called "shred" guitarists.
Listen to guys like him, you'll learn a lot about not only guitar playing but just music in general, seriously.
Also take into account rhythm guitar. That's a huge aspect of guitar technique and something often overlooked by some "shred" guitarists.
You gotta have the rhythm thing down too, so make some videos displaying your rhythm technique.

You just gotta look at the big picture.

Yeah I realize I have a long way to go. That is why I posted this, so you guys could give me an idea on how to get there .

If I thought I was awesome the title would have been "Tell me how good I am".

I have a lot of work to do...

I finally has RG2027!!!!
Unread 05-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #16
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Yeah I realize I have a long way to go. That is why I posted this, so you guys could give me an idea on how to get there .

If I thought I was awesome the title would have been "Tell me how good I am".

I have a lot of work to do...
No worries dude.
It's the same for pretty much any humble guitarist really.
We can always look at ourselves and how we can improve.
I'm rarely ever happy with my playing and even when I am, I still think there is some way to keep trying to perfect something.
The fact you have that humble mindset and know you can improve already puts you leagues ahead of guys who suck but think they are top shit shit
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #17
ss.org Regular

Josh Geohagan has a spectacular aura about
Satch and Vai really aren't all that fast when you compare them to a lot of shredders. I find them to have a lot of little nuances, Vai more than Satch to me, about their playing that make them instantly recognizable.

If you want speed, look at Cooley.
Josh Geohagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Geohagan View Post
Satch and Vai really aren't all that fast when you compare them to a lot of shredders. I find them to have a lot of little nuances, Vai more than Satch to me, about their playing that make them instantly recognizable.

That's a given.

Also, just to put it into perspective, this is a 24 second solo in a song. The solo is kinda speedy and lacks melody, but that is kinda what I felt the song calls for, especially since our other guitarist does a much more melodic solo after me.

Sometimes you gotta set the pins up so someone else can knock them down.

I could do a video of the whole song, or a different solo that has much more phrasing if anybody is interested.

I finally has RG2027!!!!
Unread 05-23-2010, 02:38 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Geohagan View Post

Spot on ^^ .

Quote:
I could do a video of the whole song, or a different solo that has much more phrasing if anybody is interested.
Yea do some more ^^
Unread 05-23-2010, 04:36 AM   #20
Team Ibanez

mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
That doesn't look like a 2027
mattofvengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #21
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattofvengeance View Post
That doesn't look like a 2027
Hahaha, yeah, I still need to put new pickups and electronics in it!

Quote:
Yea do some more ^^
Sure, I will get to it soon!

Remember, this thread isn't only for me! Post your videos if you want positive criticism!

~Sean

I finally has RG2027!!!!
Unread 05-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #22
SS.org Regular

Bump! New video in the original post. It is the full song instead of just the solo. Ironically, I screwed up in the solo, so just watch both vids mmmmmkkkkaaayyyy???

I finally has RG2027!!!!
Unread 05-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #23
Fire and Brimstone

Nights_Blood is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Kudos for putting up this vid man.

My main criticisms would be (1) that there are a few moments where you fall behind the metronome slightly at some points, most notably when you go from the low register chords up to the high lead parts (understandable), and (2) which is kind of related, your fretting hand tends to speed up towards the end of the more intricate licks.

On the other hand, when you get going, you can burn pretty good man! That run from 4:07-4:12 was clean.
Nights_Blood is offline   Reply With Quote