homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-16-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
Bring the gain

MikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
A quote that everyone needs to read

So I came across this quote by Vincent Bennett from The Acacia Strain and thought a few people on here would appreciate it, and everyone would learn from it.

Quote:
“Too many people in bands lately have just been putting out records and playing shows so they can BE in a band and be popular. There is no passion anymore; it’s all an internet popularity contest. We write the music we do because we like playing it, and if people are into it then that’s an amazing bonus. There are so many useless arguments on the internet about what kind of band is metal or metalcore or deathcore or hardcore or whatever. Shut up. Listen to music. The minute you try to define it is the exact moment it loses all of its actual meaning.”
That's something that really hits home for me seeing as every band in Cincy is now doing it for the fame and to get high school girls all over their nuts. So think about it the next time you're in a genre war.

Lethal Force Fitness: For metal dudes who want to get big!
MikeH is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-16-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Rick has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Awesome.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
Banned

iondestroyer1527 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
it's funny THEY would be the band that quote would come from because they're the biggest sell outs of any metal band EVER. listen to their first cd and then the ones that proceeded it. good quote from a shitty source IMO.
iondestroyer1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
Tard

metal_sam14 is a name known to allmetal_sam14 is a name known to allmetal_sam14 is a name known to allmetal_sam14 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The genre nazi's over at UG should read this.
I agree with the statement, why worry about putting a label on everything?, If you like it, then listen to it. if you dont like it, shut the .... up and go listen to something you do like, and dont give someone else shit because you dont like it.
metal_sam14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
Ikebana Noise Club

ry_z is a name known to allry_z is a name known to allry_z is a name known to allry_z is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hell, Oscar Wilde said:

Quote:
To define is to limit.

You bite at TVs, what do they taste like?
Last.fm
ry_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
Bring the gain

MikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by iondestroyer1527 View Post
it's funny THEY would be the band that quote would come from because they're the biggest sell outs of any metal band EVER. listen to their first cd and then the ones that proceeded it. good quote from a shitty source IMO.
They went from death metal influenced hardcore to heavily hardcore influenced death metal. Major change.

Unread 05-16-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
MFB
SS.org Regular

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Don't worry, anyone in a genre that's not popular has had this motto for YEARS. I've been saying it for about 2 years now since I've been working on Stoner/Doom stuff, and aside from that I have a Grindcore album that's halfway done and is about Mortal Kombat for ....'s sake! Do I expect to see ANY profit aside from who I show it to that might give me a dollar for a hard copy? No way cause it's unrealistic and I don't necessarily even want it.

(´・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #8
Thrashsquatch

yetti is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Ummmm, what? In what way are they sellouts?

I am happy as cat that eat some fish than go to WC and then leacking it ass and then go to sleep - yevetz
yetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #9
Captain tying knots

Andii is a glorious beacon of lightAndii is a glorious beacon of lightAndii is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
You're doing it here, in a thread about it.
Andii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 11:21 PM   #10
Bring the gain

Success Troll is quite unsuccessful.

Unread 05-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #11
/)'3'(\

ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_sam14 View Post
The kids over at UG should read this.
I agree with the statement, why worry about putting a label on everything?, If you like it, then listen to it. if you dont like it, shut the .... up and go listen to something you do like, and dont give someone else shit because you dont like it.

Ride the wings of death!

"Seriously... You DO NOT headbang with your knees" Murmel

ittoa666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 12:36 AM   #12
The Decepticon

Triple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Awesome quote

For some sweet progressive/grunge/metal, check out my band:
www.facebook.com/wearenihilistcrane

Our debut ep will be available April 1st!

For all my solo stuff:
https://soundcloud.com/brianharrigan
Triple7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 02:07 AM   #13
Banned

iondestroyer1527 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andii View Post
You're doing it here, in a thread about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetti View Post
Ummmm, what? In what way are they sellouts?
i withdraw my statement and the one i was just trying to make to rebut these posts. everytime i read this quote in the op i just feel more like this guy is full of shit. simply my opinion.
"We write the music we do because we like playing it, and if people are into it then that’s an amazing bonus."
i feel when you alter your music to make it sell more you've done the opposite. so i will "shut up" and not listen to the acacia strain (cept the first cd).imo
iondestroyer1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 03:48 AM   #14
SDMF, mofos

Aurochs34 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Great quote for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibz_rg View Post
They went from death metal influenced hardcore to heavily hardcore influenced death metal. Major change.
hehe ^^^ be careful yourself mate

"The Beard laughed, a sad laugh, it was the sound of birds being scrunched under foot."
Aurochs34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 06:25 AM   #15
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
Isn't this guy more guilty of generalization or categorization than the latter group (the listeners debating on the internets) that he mentions? First of all, I've never seen people actually debate if a band is -core or not; the argument (as with ANY band discussed) is usually if the band is good or not. Second, his statement about trend-following bands tacitly implies that he, too, is guilty of the perceived sin of genre-consciousness as he obviously knows what style is popular right now and identify which bands play in that style... AND he goes as far as to claim to be able to identify people's motivations for playing in bands that aren't as genuine as his, apparently.

I think that if somebody likes to argue about music more than they like to listen to music, then there's a real problem- but that's a gimme and I'll agree with that all day. I also think that people can join and play in bands for whatever reason they ....ing want- not everybody wants to reinvent the wheel- so if they enjoy doing what they do, no matter how mind-blowingly unoriginal it is, there should be no quarrel with that. I also think it's retarded to imply that discussions of subgenres are useless and hamper one's appreciation of music- it doesn't take a particularly acute sense of hearing to know that certain styles of music sound different.

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 06:43 AM   #16
SS.org Regular

Krullnar is a jewel in the rough
Usually when you hear someone say something like that, it's from a band that fits neatly into a genre that people tend to hate on. And that fits the bill here for sure (metalcore, deathcore).
Krullnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #17
Pronounced "FEE"

BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
Isn't this guy more guilty of generalization or categorization than the latter group (the listeners debating on the internets) that he mentions? First of all, I've never seen people actually debate if a band is -core or not; the argument (as with ANY band discussed) is usually if the band is good or not. Second, his statement about trend-following bands tacitly implies that he, too, is guilty of the perceived sin of genre-consciousness as he obviously knows what style is popular right now and identify which bands play in that style... AND he goes as far as to claim to be able to identify people's motivations for playing in bands that aren't as genuine as his, apparently.

I think that if somebody likes to argue about music more than they like to listen to music, then there's a real problem- but that's a gimme and I'll agree with that all day. I also think that people can join and play in bands for whatever reason they ....ing want- not everybody wants to reinvent the wheel- so if they enjoy doing what they do, no matter how mind-blowingly unoriginal it is, there should be no quarrel with that. I also think it's retarded to imply that discussions of subgenres are useless and hamper one's appreciation of music- it doesn't take a particularly acute sense of hearing to know that certain styles of music sound different.

I couldn't have said it better. Rep +1 for you, sir.

Self-appointed member of the Sevenstring.org Welcoming Committee
(alongside Bloody_Inferno, Zealous, Shawn, Apophis, AliceAxe, M3CHKILLA, Fred the Shred, Explorer, and Sebastian) ROFL

My Policy: If you make me laugh in a post or offer something interesting/thought-provoking, you get Rep +1. Pretty simple, right? Waiting now for incoming barrage of funny jokes.

BigPhi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 07:26 AM   #18
ss.org Regular

AliceAxe is a jewel in the rough
why do it?
because its what humans are born to do since the invention of language, to explain , define , categorize , and describe thing to fellow humans. Relay without some sort of genre definition if you wanted to find music of a certain sound when wading through the hordes of possibilities that exist , how would you narrow it down for what you are looking for?

I think the problem lies more with musical prejudice than definitions.
place more importance on genre as a defining characteristic as to whether you will like something or not. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and not liking something is ok too IMO.
AliceAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #19
Pronounced "FEE"

BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceAxe View Post
why do it?
because its what humans are born to do since the invention of language, to explain , define , categorize , and describe thing to fellow humans. Relay without some sort of genre definition if you wanted to find music of a certain sound when wading through the hordes of possibilities that exist , how would you narrow it down for what you are looking for?

I think the problem lies more with musical prejudice than definitions.
place more importance on genre as a defining characteristic as to whether you will like something or not. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and not liking something is ok too IMO.
Rep+1 for you too.

I'll admit, I've been guilty of being prejudiced. I jumped on the bandwagon of Killswitch Engage hate years ago. A few months back, there was a thread here about trying to get a KSE-type tone from the Axe-FX. I figured that I would try to accomplish this with my Axe-FX, so I bought one of their CDs (End of Heartache) to get an ear for their sound and they're one of my favorite bands to listen to now while driving. Sure, the music isn't technical, but it's really aggressive and heart-pumping.

Self-appointed member of the Sevenstring.org Welcoming Committee
(alongside Bloody_Inferno, Zealous, Shawn, Apophis, AliceAxe, M3CHKILLA, Fred the Shred, Explorer, and Sebastian) ROFL

My Policy: If you make me laugh in a post or offer something interesting/thought-provoking, you get Rep +1. Pretty simple, right? Waiting now for incoming barrage of funny jokes.

BigPhi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #20
Banned

nhersom will become famous soon enough
The Acacia Strain have def followed the breakdown fad. They among bands like the Red Cord pretty much started metalcore. After they lost there 3rd guitarist i don't know what happened to them.
nhersom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #21
surrounded by chairs

groph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud of
Not a bad quote. The bit about people being in a band for a reason other than the music is something I can agree with, especially when it comes to underground music. There's no money, there's no publicity, if you're not in it for the music I don't know why you're in it. Yeah, The Acacia Strain and comparable deathcore (I think they're deathcore, either that or just really brutal hardcore) bands are in "style" but I don't know if bands are to blame for that, if people like it then people like it. I mean I make sweeping generalizations (IE: deathcore sucks) all the time in everyday conversation but that's because I'm not bothering to be 100% accurate in my speech. I don't care what genre a certain band is, if I like it I like it. Lots of people on here have this same view and it's a good one to have.

Without getting into a genre rant, I have a couple of things to say. This is not directed at anybody or any band in particular. It almost seems that people intentionally avoid classifying, while I don't see anything at all wrong with classification. That Oscar Wilde quote is bunk (to me) because I kind of think that while I can get the jist of what he's trying to say (defining something puts boundaries on it), it's being too black and white, and things that are "classifiable" are not all in the same, meaning his quote hardly applies to everything. To me, it's just some catchy thing some smart guy said a while ago.

Getting back to the music, for your own purposes I don't see why classifying a band into a genre has to be a bad thing. Having a preconcieved idea of what a genre is and putting the genre before the music is a bad thing; it's pretty much just ignorance.

The music comes before the genre, not the other way around.
groph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #22
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Getting back to the music, for your own purposes I don't see why classifying a band into a genre has to be a bad thing.
Actually, I can't stand bands that are so pretentious that they think they somehow defy categorization. If the shoe fits, and you don't want to wear it, take it off.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #23
ss.org Regular

xiphoscesar is just really nicexiphoscesar is just really nice
Quote:
There are so many useless arguments on the internet about what kind of band is metal or metalcore or deathcore or hardcore or whatever. Shut up. Listen to music.
This
xiphoscesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #24
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variant View Post
Actually, I can't stand bands that are so pretentious that they think they somehow defy categorization. If the shoe fits, and you don't want to wear it, take it off.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 08:13 PM   #25
Ambiente Savante

signalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
yes yes yes.
signalgrey is offline   Reply With Quote