homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

FearFactoryDBCR has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can't decide on one specific style?

So me and a very close friend started a band not too long ago after being me being in quite a few and himself thinking he's about ready to start a band. So we're riffing and what not and we've already made about 4 whole songs, just guitar and bass so far with some lyrics from our singer. And well we just can't seem to stick to one thing. I'm listening to one've our songs we did a really rough recording of on a phone. And we're starting of with a fast FF kind of riff. And then we're changing the tempo midwway and throwing in a kind of Korn/Nu Metal riff. Then putting in a breakdown and going back to an FF style riff. Then i notice other songs sound really technical and death metal inspired and others are seeming more fast and melodic. So basically my question is. If our band can't keep all of our songs anywhere near the same type of metal, is there something we should do? I know diversity is the key, but my friends are saying you'll have a tough time getting a person to like everysong when we mix it up a lot. I'll have the songs properly recorded soon enough to give to our drummer and singer, and i'll probably post it up here for you guys. But yeah, anything we should do?
FearFactoryDBCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
Iraq Lobster.

synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
For whatever little my opinion is worth, I tend to NOT like bands that only seem to do 'one sound'. Versatility is the key to my heart.
synrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

Ironbird666 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearFactoryDBCR View Post
So me and a very close friend started a band not too long ago after being me being in quite a few and himself thinking he's about ready to start a band. So we're riffing and what not and we've already made about 4 whole songs, just guitar and bass so far with some lyrics from our singer. And well we just can't seem to stick to one thing. I'm listening to one've our songs we did a really rough recording of on a phone. And we're starting of with a fast FF kind of riff. And then we're changing the tempo midwway and throwing in a kind of Korn/Nu Metal riff. Then putting in a breakdown and going back to an FF style riff. Then i notice other songs sound really technical and death metal inspired and others are seeming more fast and melodic. So basically my question is. If our band can't keep all of our songs anywhere near the same type of metal, is there something we should do? I know diversity is the key, but my friends are saying you'll have a tough time getting a person to like everysong when we mix it up a lot. I'll have the songs properly recorded soon enough to give to our drummer and singer, and i'll probably post it up here for you guys. But yeah, anything we should do?
Write what you want, don't try to stick yourself into one particular style. If the songs sound good, if you're happy with them, then who cares what genre it is. Stay true to yourselves and you'll be much happier with your music thanif you write to appease a certain audience. If your songs are good people will dig it.
Ironbird666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
ss.org Regular

That's pretty coolm and i know a lot of people dig that. Our influences are really just bands that get you to throw your head everywhere. So from FF to Coal Chamber to Cannibal Corpse. But i have that kind've thing that when i find one band i like i need the rest of their songs to keep the same style. Kind've why i love FF. Although Some albums are quite different. You KNOW how they'll sound. Whereas i show this riff to my friends who've played with me and they're like "Wow who's this". Rather than "Great Riff you've made man". I'm seeing it in a bad way. I don't know if i should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbird666 View Post
Write what you want, don't try to stick yourself into one particular style. If the songs sound good, if you're happy with them, then who cares what genre it is. Stay true to yourselves and you'll be much happier with your music thanif you write to appease a certain audience. If your songs are good people will dig it.
Yeah man! We're writing what we're thinking which is true to ourselves. Bt i feel as though when we're listening we're like. "Do we wanna be associated with THAT type of metal?" I know it's bad, but it's that little voice in your head that always has something bad to say :/

Last edited by FearFactoryDBCR; 12-29-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 12-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
I have a problem sticking to one style, which can be a blessing and a curse. You want material to be broad and interesting, but to also gel together well at the same time.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

EliNoPants is a glorious beacon of lightEliNoPants is a glorious beacon of lightEliNoPants is a glorious beacon of light
as long as you get the feel and vibe across with your riffs properly, you can get away with just about anything, hell, Korn's Got the Life is pretty much a disco beat, but no one calls it a disco song...if you're doing a ton of different riffing styles though, it can definitely help to keep one guitar tone through them, just to tie them together sonically, otherwise your risk of ending up with "riff soup" increases dramatically
EliNoPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
Awful Jack-ass

6o66er is just really nice6o66er is just really nice
I just write whatever's in my head. I thought the same thing for a while - it wasn't all "the same style"...but after a while, I stopped caring and just did whatever pleased my earballs.
6o66er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

Well i'm the only guitarist in the band so, most've the riffs are made by me and my friend always comes up with sweet little dynamic changes. What i'm thinking of though if we were to ever make an album or something i don't think people want to love one song and hate the other because it's so different. I really can't help it though. I have lots of different inspirations. And i can completely change the way i play after hearing one great song.
Unread 12-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Quote:
Well i'm the only guitarist in the band so, most've the riffs are made by me and my friend always comes up with sweet little dynamic changes. What i'm thinking of though if we were to ever make an album or something i don't think people want to love one song and hate the other because it's so different. I really can't help it though. I have lots of different inspirations. And i can completely change the way i play after hearing one great song.
Sounds like a prog band But yeah I get what you mean, sometimes my stuff comes out djenty and weird, sometimes metalcore, sometimes grungy sometimes nu metal. Depends what I'm listening to. Its good in a way because I get subtle little changes in the overall way I play which ends up leading to my own style, but it also means if I listen to a band too much they take over my life
Unread 12-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

SerratedSkies is just really niceSerratedSkies is just really nice
You haven't developed a sound yet.
I always compare situations like this to The Faceless. Their first album, "Akeldama" varried from song to song, and although they are a "Death Metal(Core...stfu)" band, they go through so many styles of metal throughout the album. Now that "Planetary Duality" is out, you see a lot of varied songs, but they all align to the same formula (NOT STRUCTURE, Formula). "Planetary Duality" has a consistant sound repeated in every song, whereas "Akeldama" has to be taken song for song, as a lot of them sound almost like a different band.
It all comes with maturing as a musician. At first you want every song to sound different, but as time goes on, you develop a sound, and later a formula that will help you produce music in a more efficient manner.
SerratedSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
ss.org Regular

liquidcow is a jewel in the rough
Diversity is a great thing, though I can understand your concern. I did once try to start a band with someone where I found that the songs would sound very different depending on which one of us wrote the majority of it. By different I mean I was worried they sounded like different bands or like we were covering other people half the time.

I personally think keeping things varied is important. It might help if you're more aware of any musical elements that are very much 'you', anything that might be considered part of your musical signature, as it were. Don't try and force these things in or overplay them, but they might help to make things more cohesive while still being varied. I hope that's not too vague.
liquidcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregenocide View Post
Sounds like a prog band But yeah I get what you mean, sometimes my stuff comes out djenty and weird, sometimes metalcore, sometimes grungy sometimes nu metal. Depends what I'm listening to. Its good in a way because I get subtle little changes in the overall way I play which ends up leading to my own style, but it also means if I listen to a band too much they take over my life
I'm the exact same man. I'm really easily influenced, which is good and bad. It used to be if i listen to a band a lot i'd rip off them a lot. But as i played a lot more, i'd just take a certain thing from them and mix it up to make it my own. You can still tell my influences right off from listening to some of the riffs.
Unread 12-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
A Chap Called Ross

Quote:
I'm the exact same man. I'm really easily influenced, which is good and bad. It used to be if i listen to a band a lot i'd rip off them a lot. But as i played a lot more, i'd just take a certain thing from them and mix it up to make it my own. You can still tell my influences right off from listening to some of the riffs.
This is why I want to get another guitarist to write with. Any riffs I write, I have someone else influencing them, plus they are contributing their own material, so the overall product sounds a lot more dynamic than if it were just me.
Unread 12-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #14
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregenocide View Post
This is why I want to get another guitarist to write with. Any riffs I write, I have someone else influencing them, plus they are contributing their own material, so the overall product sounds a lot more dynamic than if it were just me.
You're right there, i just like the fact that if anybody in the crowd is like oh that bassist is great or drummer, singer, guitarist etc. I'd rather them to have someone to look to, rather than guessing which guitarist is playing the hardest part and stuff. Basically what i'm trying to say is i find theirs always competition when theirs 2 guitarists, i know it isn't the best way to look at it. But i've had it where i'm playing lead with one've my old bands live, and my rhythm player is trying to harmonize the solo with me leaving the bassist to do the rhythm on his own which can barely be heard.
Unread 12-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #15
From India,With love

allstar990 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
If you want everyone should like your songs, then screw metal and start writing pop songs with videos having hot chicks wearing skimpy clothes :P...

OR

Stay true to yourself and write whatever makes you happy without giving a .... about what others think.

Cheers,
allstar990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

cycloptopus is a jewel in the rough
Hey, I'd say I have a similar issue and here is the link to the thread. I'd like to hear what you think. http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gen...-the-line.html

I think that is part of my thinking. How different is too different? I feel like my band has created a basic style. Is one tune that is so different going to be a turn off to potential audiences? It's a turn off to me, but I want to be a team player. I'm already into being diverse, but that doesn't mean there aren't things I don't like. People have mentioned Dev Townsend's new album as proof you can be super diverse and still cool. i don't know where to, or if I should, draw a line...
cycloptopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #17
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycloptopus View Post
Hey, I'd say I have a similar issue and here is the link to the thread. I'd like to hear what you think. http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gen...-the-line.html

I think that is part of my thinking. How different is too different? I feel like my band has created a basic style. Is one tune that is so different going to be a turn off to potential audiences? It's a turn off to me, but I want to be a team player. I'm already into being diverse, but that doesn't mean there aren't things I don't like. People have mentioned Dev Townsend's new album as proof you can be super diverse and still cool. i don't know where to, or if I should, draw a line...
I get what you mean dude, and i read your thread. By the sounds of it, your bandmates diversify in all different styles. My band is kind've the same but we diversify in all different sub genre's of metal. I think you should maybe do what we're doing and just make something YOU like. When i do this my bandmates instantly dig it, and then it ends up with me or my bassist throwing in some other riff that foolows the same key, but has a totally different musical element to it, but still stays in the metal genre. If you're bandmates dig and appreciate what you're contributing then obviously you should feel the same about what they give to the group. Also as selfish at it may sound, if you're not digging the way that things are going you should tell the band what's up and how you'd like it to go. And that'll end up working out two ways obviously. All you really need to remember is being in a band is about you enjoying yourself. If it's coming to be more of a bother to play the songs, the band isn't for you. That's my personal opinion anyway, and from what i've been told by people here.
Unread 12-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
ss.org Regular

LotusEater07 is on a distinguished road
The best thing to do would be to keep on writing no matter what it sounds like. Then you would have more choices to work with if you decide to form one song out of two.
LotusEater07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

Nats is a glorious beacon of lightNats is a glorious beacon of lightNats is a glorious beacon of light
as awesome as that is i can see your concern. just go with it for now and maybe songs will eventually start sounding more similar
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

revclay is a jewel in the rough
Just my 2 cents, but it is exceedingly rare to find your sound immediately. Developing a rapport with everyone else in the band takes time and a lot of work. Being diverse up front is better than pigeonholing yourselves. Just go where the music takes you, surround yourself with people who will be honest with you about your sound and the rest should take care of itself.
revclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 05:21 PM   #21
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
If it flows well, continue. You guys have plenty of time to grow as a unit.

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #22
kvlt

7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by synrgy View Post
For whatever little my opinion is worth, I tend to NOT like bands that only seem to do 'one sound'. Versatility is the key to my heart.
7deadlysins666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #23
SS.org Regular

willyman101 is a jewel in the rough
Yeah I had this exact issue with my last band. The reason it was my "last" band was because we kept trying to change everything and it just caused problems. It's understandable if your songs sound like they're made up of several randomly thrown together riffs but if you don't think that then chances are you're perfectly fine
willyman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #24
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Combine ALL of your influences, draw inspiration from wherever you deem fit and keep writing. It takes a lot (if not all bands) a few years to 'find their sound'. Some bands claim to only truly 'find their sound' after 10/15 years of being together, so don't worry about it too much.

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #25
8 string addict

HANIAK is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by synrgy View Post
Agreed! Best bands and albums are those which each song gives you a distinct feeling.

Just do what sounds good to you, don't write music to please a trend or group of people other than yourselves. Do it for the fun of it, and not for the fun of others.
HANIAK is offline   Reply With Quote