homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Interviews, Reviews & Tech Articles > Gear Reviews
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear Reviews Sevenstring.org's fully interactive gear review database.

Comment
LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Ashdown Fallen Angel FA60DSP head
Published by Jesse
04-15-2006
Ashdown Fallen Angel FA60DSP head

Well from the moment I played the fallen angel combo I knew I had to have one.. within the week I had a deal trading in my Line 6 spider II 212 for the head... which I ironically got on valentines day. When I first plugged it in at the store once It came in I knew Id made the right choice!

Well lets the cosmetics out of the way...

'nuff said

NOw where this amp totally stands out TONE. The first thing I noticed was the bass... this thing is a BASS machine! I usually have my bass set at 10 o'clock and it still bottoms out ( haha get it?!). With the Boost engaged on the Over drive channel this thing KILLS! I swear a Mesa single recto boned a Marshall Plexi and had this. This thing has the glassy distortion of a mesa with the grind you'd expect from a Marshall while still retaining a very distinct tone. On the over drive channel with out the boost you get a AMAZING over driven tone... which I find usefull in my instrumental work for rythm guitars. As well as for crunchier parts in my metal band. And it sounds amazing for those classic rock/metal sounds. The clean channel is perfect. You can go from crystal clear to slightky distorted. I personaly have the gain cranked a bit so when I play lighty I get a smooth clean sound... but when I attack the strings more agressivly I get a more aggressive ring... great for building up moods and song dynamics.

As far as effects go The DSP effects are alright... I only use the delay a bit and it sounds good. And the reverb is great too. However I would not replace your turbo Flange with the built in effects... hold on to your coloured boxes kids. But it is nice to have them anywho.

The back of the amp is home a very well constructed/designed effects loop... as well as my favorite... the ability to use any combination of Cabinets in damn near any reistance ( I use a 400Watt behringer 412 w/jensons).

OVERALL I love this amp... It has got to be one of the best Ive EVER played. And Ive played everything from Mesas to Marshalls, Peavys to Fenders... Line 6 to Hughes and Kettner and I wouldnt play another, and with a price tag of $900Canadian ( about $750US) I dont know of a single person who can't afford good tone.

By David on 04-15-2006, 07:50 PM
woot, I keep hearing about how amazing this amp is, from you, and a lot of people on the internet, but I still haven't HEARD one.

put up some clips.
By bostjan on 04-15-2006, 07:59 PM
It's weird, but every time I see one of these, they look different, but they sound the same. The bass is very tight, the tone is quite clear, but I seem to have to crank the gain up to nine or ten. I've never tried one outside of a store, though, so there might be plenty of breakup at higher volume levels. I think it's a great amp, though. I'm holding out on making a final judgement until I try the big brother of the 60 watt.
By Jesse on 04-15-2006, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
woot, I keep hearing about how amazing this amp is, from you, and a lot of people on the internet, but I still haven't HEARD one.

put up some clips.

will do homes!
By metalfiend666 on 04-16-2006, 05:45 AM
I've yet to read a bad review of these or it's bigger brother the 180. Hopefully I might get a chance to try one some time.
By Jesse on 04-16-2006, 11:44 AM
yeah..I like the 60 watt version better then the 180 just because it sounds better over driven. the 60 watts is plenty loud Ive used it to fill 800 people venues and Ive have volume to spare.
By bostjan on 04-16-2006, 04:06 PM
I still want to try the 180 watt version. As I said, I was pretty impressed with the 60 watt version, and that version might be better for me anyway.

Rock on! ?≈∂y/∂x
By metalfiend666 on 04-17-2006, 03:28 AM
Just because 60W is loud enough doesn't mean it'll do. Remember that in the metal world everything must go to 11, therefore 60W just won't cut it. 180W on the other hand is perfect for making the heads of the first 3 rows explode.
By bostjan on 04-17-2006, 03:40 AM

But it's a great point that you can't say it's good enough without trying the 180 watt version just to see for yourself, or at least that's my approach.
By metalfiend666 on 04-17-2006, 04:21 AM
^ Indeed. To really be certain you're buying the right amp for you you've got to try as many different amps as possible and the different power ratings of each. If you're looking for an amp to last you a long time you've got to spend a fews weeks doing your homework on the net, scouring guitar shops and playing the hell out of loads of amps.

A 180W Fallen angel would be very nice though. I've yet to hear an Ashdown that didn't sound amazing, bass or guitar. They're based about 30 miles from my house too.
By angryman on 04-17-2006, 05:23 AM
I tried out a 180 watt & to be honest i wasn't impressed at all there was nowhere near enough gain on tap for my tastes & no matter how i set the eq there wasn't enough cut to the tone, although there was a hell of alot of bass to use (but i'd never use that much in a band environment) then again i've been using a 5150 for so long i've probably become extremely biased anyway hahaha
By bostjan on 04-17-2006, 10:51 AM
As for the gain, I think I ought to try it with a Boss MT-2 or something. I bet that'd help. Maybe angryman is on to something- I'm probably just used to my amps and when something is a little different, I can't get past the fact that I can't dial in the same tone.
By Jesse on 04-19-2006, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostjan
As for the gain, I think I ought to try it with a Boss MT-2 or something. I bet that'd help. Maybe angryman is on to something- I'm probably just used to my amps and when something is a little different, I can't get past the fact that I can't dial in the same tone.

i have more then enought distortion!!! try the 60 watt. once you get those tubes going you wont look back
By Drew on 04-19-2006, 10:58 AM
You know, that looks WAY better in black and white than in color. They should offer that as an option, I thought it was a totally different amp, at a glance.
By String Seraphim on 04-19-2006, 02:46 PM
I've been lookin all over the place for reviews of the 180 watt version and so far have come up short. Any of you guys know sites that have rated it? Harmony nutcases only have reviews for the 60watt i believe.
Comment