homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Interviews, Reviews & Tech Articles > Gear Reviews
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear Reviews Sevenstring.org's fully interactive gear review database.

Comment
LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Universal Jems Bobbin Toppers
Published by AVH
03-05-2006
Thumbs up Universal Jems Bobbin Toppers

A quick review of UniversalJems Bobbin Toppers:

Bobbin Toppers are simple way to improve or alter the appearance of any axe by changing the colour of the pickups. They are actually very thin plastic stickers that just attach to the face of each coil bobbin. They are sold individually by each coil, and come in many colours, so that if you're feeling really creative, you could easily make dual-colored pickups like some of the old JPM Dimarzio's (i.e. blue/purple coils), or whatever.

I ordered four white BT's for 7-string, and they came quickly in just an envelope, along with an alcohol swab to prep the pickup surface with (this is very important). After cleaning the pickup, just peel and align very carefully, starting at one end, and gently roll it down and along the face of the bobbin. When you're sure you have it aligned properly around the polepieces and outside edges, press down firmly, and be aware of possible trapped air bubbles. Press these out towards the edges. Done deal. And you can even do this without removing the strings, although I think it would take a awfully steady hand, and would be a pain in the ass to work around the strings. I personally recommend doing it during a string change or something. Waaay easier.
And just to make them appear even more authentic, after attaching them, I used a fine xacto blade to make the tiny bobbin holes. Details count, heh heh.

My experimental guinea pigs were a Dimarzio Blaze and an Air Norton.
Before:

And after, major difference:

Cool, simple project for waaaayyy cheaper than the other place I could find the same sort of product for. There's a link at the bottom of this page.
By The Dark Wolf on 03-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Awesome.

You should think about getting chrome polepices for that Blaze. Mine came with 'em, and it matches up well with the AN's chrome polepieces. They're a screw in/screw out replacement. It would look great!
By nyck on 03-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Do they come off easily though?
By AVH on 03-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Wolf
Awesome.

You should think about getting chrome polepices for that Blaze. Mine came with 'em, and it matches up well with the AN's chrome polepieces. They're a screw in/screw out replacement. It would look great!

Yeah, I had thought about that too, I agree. But since I'm on the whole b&w theme, actually it's the AN's chrome polepieces that are out of place here.
The flathead screws would be easy enough to swap out for black screws, but the fixed poles would be a bitch to remove, and I don't fancy possibly ....ing up the windings internally. I will give it some thought though.

nyck: oh yeah, no problem. They stick on very well, but not permanently, in case you change your mind/tastes later on.
By nyck on 03-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Sorry, I meant to mean if they come off from playing a lot.
By AVH on 03-05-2006, 11:08 AM
I'll soon see.....that's a good point. Lot's of fast, sweaty, palm muting (which is almost 80%, isn't it?) might do it. If it does start coming off, you bet your ass I'll find a fix for that right away, for sure.
By The Dark Wolf on 03-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendroaspis
The flathead screws would be easy enough to swap out for black screws, but the fixed poles would be a bitch to remove, and I don't fancy possibly ....ing up the windings internally. I will give it some thought though.
Yep. the screws are easy. The slugs are BIT trickier, but all you need is a steady hand an something like a screwdriver to push them out. I've done it myself. You won't mess up the wiring because the slugs are really independant of the wiring, floating within the bobbin, just like the screws. You just have to be careful... but! I've never seen black slugs...? (You probably already know all this. )
By Shannon on 03-05-2006, 11:12 AM
I can attest that the UJ bobbin toppers are awesome. I had some on my old RG7621BK. Looked great.

Side note: Where did you get the pearl buttons for the tuners?
By AVH on 03-05-2006, 11:17 AM
HA! I enjoy a challenge....they'll be bloody black when I get through with them. Yeah you're right about the windings...I was aware of that, but I've never done that before, and was more worried about damaging the windings by improperly clamping or securing the pu while removing the slugs.
Interesting proposition.....how much force was necessary to push them out? You got my squirrel running on the wheel now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon
I can attest that the UJ bobbin toppers are awesome. I had some on my old RG7621BK. Looked great.

Side note: Where did you get the pearl buttons for the tuners?
Ah yes, I knew that's exactly the look I was after, and really looked around hard for those unsuccessfully.
Then I happened to be buying some fret files and other tools from Stuart-Macdonald, and lo and behold there they were - and specifically for Schaller minis at that! Yea! They only come in packs of six (no they wouldn't sell individually, I asked), so if you want to buy some, I happen to have 5 extras that I'll be happy to sell any SS.org member the extra single button for next to nothing.

Oh, and hey Shannon - totally OT, but dude I've been meaning to tell you that you have the most metal-looking pic poses I've ever seen, ....in A man!
Last edited by AVH; 03-05-2006 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
By The Dark Wolf on 03-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendroaspis
HA! I enjoy a challenge....they'll be bloody black when I get through with them. Yeah you're right about the windings...I was aware of that, but I've never done that before, and was more worried about damaging the windings by improperly clamping or securing the pu while removing the slugs.
Interesting proposition.....how much force was necessary to push them out? You got my squirrel running on the wheel now...
Not much. I used a small Phillips screwdriver, held the pickup with my hand braced against my leg, and slowly, gently, but firmly pushed on the slugs. They typically resist a bit at frist, but then sort of ease out.

NOTE - I just tried it again using my old Tone Zone 7, and all I used this time was a small diameter pickup mounting screw that I braced against my desk. Placed the pickup slug polepiece over it (the Dimarzio baseplates have holes where the polepieces are - inserted the screw in said hole) and applied firm, gentle pressure while holding the pickup in both hands, downwards on the screw. Just like I remembered - the slug resisted a minute, then eased and POP! Out it came.

Very easy, bro.
By Drew on 03-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Nice, those look great, and you're right, the little mini-holes make all the difference.

How do they look from the side? I love the replacement singlecoil in my UV, but on a PWH it just looks wrong, having a black singlecoil and two faded white Blaze's...
By AVH on 03-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Nice, those look great, and you're right, the little mini-holes make all the difference.

How do they look from the side? I love the replacement singlecoil in my UV, but on a PWH it just looks wrong, having a black singlecoil and two faded white Blaze's...
Absolutely right Drew - that IS just outright wrong. I'd get right on that, that'd drive me nuts.
If you apply it carefully and smoothly enough, it looks just fine from the side. I think if you look at the original post's pics, you can see them at that angle. $5 will fix that poor SC right up. He feels left out and needs to part of the gang.
By Ibanez_fanboy on 03-12-2006, 02:36 AM
but you can get blazes already white..... cant you?
By Drew on 03-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez_fanboy
but you can get blazes already white..... cant you?
You can. However, as I thought the Blaze single coil was a dull, toneless peice of crap, that doesn't do me much good, now does it.
By Metal Ken on 03-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew

They look black from the side. I got 3 and did it so i have 2 zebra pickups and a white S/C on my RG1077XL..i need to go take some pics.
By Metal Ken on 03-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Here's the 1077XL with the bobbin toppers & other parts from Universal JEMS
You guys wish you had that orange chair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0040.jpg (108.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0041.jpg (90.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0042.jpg (67.3 KB, 47 views)
By Drew on 03-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Surprisingly strat-y. Cool.
By Metal Ken on 03-13-2006, 11:51 AM
well, they are official fender knobs ;p
By Shawn on 03-13-2006, 04:02 PM
I think every black pickup should go white.

Nicely done, man.

Oh, and Ken, that looks killer.
By AVH on 03-13-2006, 04:53 PM
....in' A Ken, that's smokin Nice axe
By Metal Ken on 03-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
I think every black pickup should go white.

Nicely done, man.

Oh, and Ken, that looks killer.
Maybe once my birfday rolls around and i get some cash, i'll pick up a white AN7 & A white D Sonic 7 for it.

BTW, thanks for the comments guys \m/
By guitarplayerone on 03-30-2011, 11:04 PM
FWIW the bobbin toppers should go very well over black, but I had trouble getting them to look okay on top of creme (the creme just showed through)
Comment