homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Interviews, Reviews & Tech Articles > Gear Reviews
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear Reviews Sevenstring.org's fully interactive gear review database.

Comment
LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Dimarzio D-Activator X
Published by your_mum
05-29-2008
Author review
Ease of Use
100%100%100%
Features
100%100%100%
Reliability
100%100%100%
Value
100%100%100%
Expressiveness/Sounds
100%100%100%
Overall Rating
100%100%100%
Average 100%
Thumbs up Dimarzio D-Activator X

Ok, so I bought myself a new guitar. An Ibanez S2020XAV, a nice guitar.
Having experience with Ibanez pickups I can say they are pretty boring, not aweful, just dull.

So after a scan of the internet I found out Dimarzio had shacked up the D-Activator and the X2N and they had made passionate love and produced a child.

The D-Activator X.

The D-activator X captures the djenty, over the top tightness of the X2N and gives it the body of the D-activator.

Distortion
Obviously this is where this thing shines the most, I like to play in drop B and C sharp standard. This thing handles these tunings well. It gives a nice chug in the low end, oomph in the mids and singing highs which do not get harsh ala EMG's and the X2N.

for soloing this thing cuts through the mix like Freddy Krueger Cutting through kids. It really is epic.

Cleans
Don't be fooled! this thing has phenomenal cleans. They are full and well balanced, unlike other bridge pickups that can be shrill and over bearing. Coil tapping it can unlock a sound that reminds me of a really beefy single coil, amazing for blues.

I roll my tone knob down and it can pull off a fairly decent jazz tone, although my guitar is certainly no hollow-body, and my jazz chops are sub par.

All in all it is a truely versatile pickup, and once again Dimarzio you have done it again.

I would definitely pick this over a BK nailbomb (I had 2 in my 1527) or the EMG 85 in the bridge of my strat.

Playing this pickup gives somewhat of an idea of what it would be like going to a sex variety show.

Thanks for reading, mum.

By Elysian on 05-29-2008, 08:50 PM
when i talked to someone at dimarzio when the x2n7 came out, they mentioned something like they liked the way the x2n7 sounded so much, they were thinking of making the x2n sound like it. its got a slightly different eq to the x2n, and i'm thinking thats what they did when they made the d-activator x. good review, glad to hear it sounds good. did you only get the bridge pup? or did you get the matching neck pup as well?
By FortePenance on 05-30-2008, 01:51 AM
I like how you signed off "mum". :P

How are the clean sounds on this in the neck? Are they deep or more sparkling?
By your_mum on 05-30-2008, 04:39 AM
I only have it in the bridge unfortunately. But if I was to take a wild guess, it would be a good neck pickup. It'd deliver shimmering cleans and be amazing for cutting through the mix during solo.
By UGH on 06-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the info. I ordered the set about a week ago after seeing them on Dim's website. I'm really jonesin' now!
By SPiLLiNGER on 08-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Cool

Hey guys, i'm geting this guitar at the end of the month...

Left Handed Classic Pro Specifications

Mine is gonna be basswood with the DiMarzio D Sonic DP207 for the bridge pickup and the DiMarzio D Activator-X Neck DP221 for the neck.

I'm left handed so i've struggled over the years to find an explorer shaped guitar that meets my demands!

What do you guys think?
By Lakonthegreat on 07-16-2009, 11:12 PM
That Gaskell guitar has the ugliest headstock of any guitar I've ever seen.
By EarlWellington on 11-19-2012, 03:18 AM
I have an X2N in the bridge and the D Activator-X in the neck... i've found it to be a really good combo and the D Activator-X is surprisingly nice in the neck position. It's very tight and clear and punches through
Comment