homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Interviews, Reviews & Tech Articles > Gear Reviews
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear Reviews Sevenstring.org's fully interactive gear review database.

Comment
LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Digitech DF-7 distortion
Published by Nic
11-13-2006
Author review
Ease of Use
80%80%80%
Features
80%80%80%
Reliability
80%80%80%
Value
80%80%80%
Customer Support
0%0%0%
Expressiveness/Sounds
100%100%100%
Overall Rating
100%100%100%
Average 74%
Digitech DF-7 distortion

Well, now that I have had this thing for a good 6 months I feel I can give an honest review.

First off, for being built into a stomp box, the amp sim kicks major ass. I own a J-Station and the amp sim coming out of this pedal is just as good. Sometimes better, depending on what you want to get for your recording. It is a little less low mid heavy than the J-station, which makes for cleaner tracks but sacrifices the feeling of playing through a kick ass loud set up.

The Rat emulation is spot on, I own a vintage Rat and I actually prefer the DF-7 because of the added EQ.
Likewise, the Big Muff is awesome, as is the Boss Metal Zone. To your amp or direct with cab sim, they just sound great. Those 3 pedals are the only ones I have actually used a lot outside of emulation so the rest of the settings are speculation/personal taste. But in my opinion, a pedal for $100 that can accurately emulate even those 3 pedals is worth it.

The Metal Master does sound like the original from what I have heard of it when I tested one out once, but there is a reason I didn't buy it. It sounds EXACTALLY like the tone on the new 2006 version of Dimmu Borgir's Stormblast. So if you like that tone, this is the pedal for you.

The Tubscreamer is awesome. I've never used a real one, but I love it just the same. Very warm and thick.

Th DOD overdrive 250 is just a damn soild overdrive sound. Don't use it a lot but that doesn't mean you won't.

Same with the Boss DS-1, I love it for grungier stuff. I don't like it as much as my DOD Grunge pedal, thought they have comparable sounds.

This thing has 3 band EQ with sweepable mids, I just love all that control over my sound. Sometimes if you crank the lows it almost sounds like its compressing with a wierd release time. You have to crank it pretty far to get that to happen, though.

There are only 2 bad things abot this pedal:
1. It sucks up batteries like there is no tomorrow. They last maybe 3hrs, tops. If you have a power supply, this isn't a problem. Otherwise, just trust me and buy one.
2. It's really quiet. I have to have the output at 3 o'clock to match my clean tone. And if you crank it past that, the compression sound kicks it like with the lows.

Bottom line: If you like any of the pedals it emulates and don't own them already, buy it. This pedal kicks ass for live and for recording. Highly reccomended.

By ohio_eric on 11-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Cool review, but what amps were you running this thing through?
By Nic on 11-14-2006, 04:24 PM
Tested through A Peavey Transtube half-stack for live. Alesis Monitors and Mackie powered PA speakers for direct.
By Jerich on 03-01-2007, 07:56 AM
i have two CF-7 in my pedal Line up right now and the effects are awesome it is better to have two of these pedals linked together then to have 14 separate pedals in my chain...so if the CF-7 rules: i need to try the DF-7..great review but would help if the amps were mentioned...I run the pedals in to the console 24 digidesign and get a really nice full rounded sound....and for the price how can you beat it?
By HighGain510 on 03-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich View Post
i have two CF-7 in my pedal Line up right now and the effects are awesome it is better to have two of these pedals linked together then to have 14 separate pedals in my chain...so if the CF-7 rules: i need to try the DF-7..great review but would help if the amps were mentioned...I run the pedals in to the console 24 digidesign and get a really nice full rounded sound....and for the price how can you beat it?
Yeah I heard Jerich play live with the CF-7's and they sounded pretty sweet! I tried out the DF-7 and thought it was pretty decent for the price!
By yevetz on 06-08-2007, 06:00 AM
I have one it's great
By acie_umbel on 08-19-2007, 08:31 PM
how much korn sound can you get with it
Comment