homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Interviews, Reviews & Tech Articles > Gear Reviews
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear Reviews Sevenstring.org's fully interactive gear review database.

Comment
LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Bugera 333
Published by mikeshallperish
09-25-2010
Author review
Ease of Use
100%100%100%
Features
80%80%80%
Value
100%100%100%
Expressiveness/Sounds
100%100%100%
Overall Rating
100%100%100%
Average 96%
Bugera 333

so i was ready to go tube. and my price range was around $500 so the options were a randall hybrid tube head, a peavey valve king, and a bugera.
the randall wasn't full tube so i crossed that one off, and the valve king sounds terrible anyways so i was left between a bugera 6260, or a 333.
i was sold by the three independent channels of the 333. so first i'll go over the features then the sound and functions.

it comes with 12ax7 preamp tubes and 6l6 power tubes which are good for super high gain and a deep tight bottom end. and if 6l6's arent for you, you can easily bias it to support el34's. usually biasing an amp can be deadly cause you have to take the chassis out of the wooden enclosure and use a screw driver to change the heat bias, but on this thing there is a knob and switch outside the chassis for a quick an easy change.

another cool feature is the voicing option switch on the rear panel that allows you to choose from low mid and high. it comes it handy for controlling those super distorted tones.

the lead channel has a volume, bass, mid, treble, and gain knob.
this thing has so much gain it's mind blowing. i play a super chunky death metal crunch tone and i rarely take the gain above 5. and even though you can get super scooped out high gain tones you can crank the mid with out sacrificing anything and it cuts through perfectly. this thing sounds purely explosive.

the crunch channel has more gain than most amps i've played through. and it can achieve a really bluesy tone to a solid classic rock crunch.i don't have much to say about this channel because i rarely use it for the style of music i play.

the clean channel has a volume, bass, mid, and treble knob for shaping sound. it sounded a little dirty to me when i first started playing it, but i had the amp running at 8 ohms stereo and then switched it to 16 mono and that cleaned it up. this channel is incredibly loud and punchy i never take the master above three with the channel on 1 or 2.

the master controls include a master volume and reverb.

the only disappointment i had was that there was no reverb button on the footswitch. and i took off the shinny chrome pieces and tooks alot better.

but for the money this thing blows every other amp out of the water.
even though these things are modeled after peavey 6505+ heads and the peavey xxx i think it sounds better has more features and its half the price.
if you have a hunger for gain and volume, buy this head.

By chucknorrishred on 09-28-2010, 01:35 AM
i was looking into the bugera brand as well cuz of the price range but since i dont jam with ppl much these days im looking into software mods since ill spend most of my jam time on a cpu anyways.

have fun playing shows tho
By Ill-Gotten James on 02-23-2011, 11:01 PM
You get what you pay for

While the Bugera 333 may be a bang for your buck, the amps are not really the most reliable. Reviews online, as well as an old band mate's personal experience make me very skeptical of low end cost Bugeras. The other guitarist of the band that I play for was ready to upgrade from his god awful Line6 Spider III head, and decided to go with the Bugera 333. Within 2 weeks he returned it due to problems with the one distortion channel. After that incident, I read some blogs on the net about peoples personal experience with Bugera heads. About half of the 15 or so personal experiences with Bugera amps were negative. The other half spoke very highly of them. Personally, if the Bugera head worked properly, it would have been way better than the Line6 Spider III, but I am still skeptical of the amps after the incident, as well as reading the reviews online. You get what you pay for I guess.
By mikeshallperish on 03-23-2011, 05:47 PM
definitely. i've almost had it for a year now and it's been great. i had a similar problem with my carvin, sent it back countless times, and my friend had to get his v3 replaced. every company makes some lemons. i hadn't encountered to many negative reviews, but you kinda make me want to dig up my warranty info just to be safe. the dudes i know personally that own bugera's haven't had any issues.
By tacotiklah on 06-11-2011, 02:59 AM
The defect you guys are talking about have been fixed. The problem that they were having is that the amp was connected to the pc board with plastic clips instead of being soldered directly. The clips would melt and the amp wouldnt work. A cheap fix, but poor design on their part. Like I said though, bugera has since fixed this. Havent gotten to try the 333 yet, but i messed around on a 6262 2x12 at GC and loved it.
By Scone on 01-10-2012, 12:37 PM
I have owned one of these for about a year and a bit, after coming from a line6 spider3. I find them very reliable. Never had a problem with it. Thinking of upgrading the tubes in the next few month's, so i'll probably put up a review of how it sound's then. As it is, I find the lead channel scream's nicely, and the crunch channel is very versatile. From nice blusey crunch to punchy dirty tones that come close to matching the lead channel. Something else that should be noted, is that the fx loop can be used as a boost as well by adjusting the output level of the fx loop at the back of the head. I'm well happy with it anyway, and dont plan on changing it for a while. :-D
By Iron Beard on 07-10-2012, 01:19 AM
This amp pisses me off. The other guitar player in my band has 1 and it has killed most of the higher end amps I have owned. He has had it 2 years with no problems at all.
By neotronic on 07-11-2012, 01:34 PM
how could a plastic clip melt? the temperature inside of the metal chassis should be far less than 80C as 80 is limit for common electrolytic condenser. Maybe it was just loose from the beginning....
By perpetualhate on 09-12-2012, 01:33 PM
They had a plastic clip in the older models which actually had electric wiring go threw it, hence the melting, and a short. That design issue has been since resolved. I actually own the 6262, and it's a great amp. Like the poster above said, it blows most amps out of the water. The caveat is they have a bad rep for not being reliable. I can't contest to it, only the sound which I think is great.
By straightshreddd on 09-12-2012, 04:22 PM
For what it's worth, my old guitar player had a 333(pre-infinium) for about 2 and a half years and never had any issues. I haven't talked to him in a while but if it's still running well, then it's been almost 4 years. I'll hit him up and follow up.
By straightshreddd on 09-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Oh, and it sounded great. I used to play on it all the time and when we jammed, he used a 333 on a bugera cab and I had a 6505+ with a mesa cab. Both sounded awesome.
By Matx on 03-06-2014, 08:31 PM
I'm glad it sounds like Bugera's quality control is better than it used to be. Starting to hear really good things about reliability now
By facepalm66 on 03-10-2014, 02:45 PM
The crunch channel is very metal orientied, and I usually use crunch for leads.
It's a bit brighter, still has too much gain, and can get very distorted.

Personally I use it for a more scooped sound while boosting more mids on the lead channel.

Overall nice amp, haven't got any problems even since.
I'd get a noise gate though, but it definitely not a necesity for this amp. It has a small fizz though.
Comment