homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Interviews, Reviews & Tech Articles > Gear Reviews
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear Reviews Sevenstring.org's fully interactive gear review database.

Comment
LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Peavey Vypyr 75
Published by norrin radcliff
12-07-2009
Author review
Ease of Use
100%100%100%
Features
60%60%60%
Reliability
80%80%80%
Value
100%100%100%
Expressiveness/Sounds
100%100%100%
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Average 87%
Peavey Vypyr 75

I picked up a 75W Vypyr last week. Here's a general review/overview addressing some of the issues with the amp that I couldn't find before I bought it...

My first choice was the 60W Vypyr tube, but it was sold before I had my funds together.

Earlier in the week, I had the chance to A/B the 60W and 75W, and the difference between the two was subtle - subtle enough for me to go ahead and pick up the available 75.

My comments below are based on my experience with the Vypyr 75. My initial impressions are:
  1. The high gain models sound really good - and I have the solid state 75W. The 6505 model is where mine has lived for the past 5 days, other than just checking out the other models. The Dzl and Rec models also sound nice.
  2. The clean models also sound really good and respond well to the stomp box OD's (Tube Screamer, ZW OD).
  3. The user interface is very easy to use. I was able to have a sound dialed in less than 5 minutes.
  4. The USB and 1/8" plugs work well, although the USB recording output level doesn't seem high enough, and there's no adjustability that I can find other than the pre-out.
  5. An effects loop, cab and direct out would make this amp unbeatable...
I have played the Vypyr 75 live with 2 other guitarists, a bass player and drummer at a live gig, and all of them commented how awesome the tone was. Playing it live, I was competing with a DI'ed bass, a JCM 800 4x12, and a Boogie Nomad. I had my 75W on 3.5/4 and was cutting through easily.

There are several effects that I'll never use on this thing (rotary speaker, autowah, etc.) and the knobs are pretty cheesy (the detents for the different amps/effect don't "click", which makes it easy to over shoot them. The master volume on mine drags on the face plate, feeling sticky).

Note: I "forced" the unit to lock up this weekend. I read numerous posts that said, power up the unit before plugging in, or it could lock up. Well I thought I'd try it, and it did. All other uses did not result in a lock up, and I powered the unit before plugging it in....

Bottom line on the 75W Vypyr:
Great tone, lots of power, no hum (as others have observed), some effects will never get used, awesome bang for the buck, can lock up - but doesn't have to if you follow the "power up" protocol.

Based on my needs, I may return the amp and pay the extra money for the 6505+ 112 combo. As I use minimal effects, and love the 6505 tone, I can gain an effects loop for my delay, and a Direct and Cab out, which the Vypyr 75 does not have. But, that flexibility will cost another $300, and for some, it might not really be worth it...

By op1e on 12-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Wow, I didn't know there wasn't a cab out. Thats a deal breaker. I do agree, the 6505 model is awesome, especially with the TS turned on in front of it. I would like this amp, but I just dont think I could go without my 412 on stage, or at least a 212. Good review.
By ShadyDavey on 12-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Have you updated the firmware on this model?

Peavey.com

Also - have you tried it with the Sanpera footswitch for more functionallity?

There are a few comments, gripes, reviews, patches etc etc on the Peavey Forum - I was also looking at getting one so the place is bookmarked.

• View forum - Vypyr & Sanpera
By norrin radcliff on 12-08-2009, 02:29 PM
No, I have not used the Sanpera with this amp - but I do agree that it would only increase the flexibility of the amp.

I also have not performed a firmware update, as I was unsure if I was going to keep the amp and did not want to buy a USB to midi cable. If I keep it, it would be a wise decision to get one. Same is true for the Sanpera. If/when I decide to keep the amp, I'd be willing to consider the pedal.

The point of the initial comment in my review is that this amp doesn't lock up if you follow that rules (power up then plug in).

I'm still up in the air on the fate of this amp, to be honest. It does sound good, and I only have $326 into it. The S2 will tack on another $220, and by that time I'm in 6505 112 combo territory. As I mentioned, I use very few effects (wah, phase, delay, and maybe chorus) so the cost comparison is really close...

As I mentioned, it is a great amp and incredible value. The most direct comparison would be between this amp and the 60W tube, which I would say go for the tubes for the extra $150.
By ShadyDavey on 12-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Hrrm, that IS a close call. Add in the cost for the pedal and tube model (some people also swap out the tubes as well as update the firmware) then you are hovering close to other more widely regarded amps.

I'm kinda waiting to hear how you got on with it before I start looking at one seriously - another chap on a different forum is having no end of reliability issues with his.
By dutchguts on 04-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Amazing practice amp. Best modeling tone in my opinion besides axe fx. Although my amp is not behaving properly. It decided to stop responding on a lockout and never recover. According to peavey i need to upgrade firmware. Get this though... there is a midi port on back and a usb on the front. In order to upgrade the firmware i need to buy a midi to usb cable. Apparently the straight forward usb port wont do the trick lol. Does anyone else see the logic 3rr0r here?
By synapsis78 on 05-20-2010, 09:07 PM
this amp is very fun to play around with...i spent over an hour in guitar center messing around with one
By metalmankam on 08-05-2010, 02:40 AM
my friend sold me his for $150 and i got a sanpera II on craigs for $125! KILLER combo! I think there are better amps out there like randalls and such but for the price it can't be beat. I don't like a lot of the amp models but I don't really need 'em anyways. I'd really like to update the firmware but finding a usb to midi cable for cheap is impossible :P
By MetalheadMattyG on 09-08-2010, 01:43 PM
I haven't had the chance to play a solid-state version, however for $550 the 120H is probably the best bet, it's a tube version. Since it's a head it can go with any cabs you may have (it also has a matching cab), and even if you don't use a lot of effects it's can be nice to have them in case you ever feel adventurous. It's a bit heavy (somewhere around 50 lbs.) but you can get literally any genre's tone on this thing. Great for someone who likes to play a variety of music like me.
By wayne63139 on 09-22-2010, 03:53 PM
This is an excellent practice amp and small rehearsal amp.. you have to tweak tho to get the sound your really after.. thats how it is with all digital amps tho.. I am a former owner of this amp and I liked it better than the Line 6 spider III 75 watt I traded up for the Peavey..
By GuitaristOfHell on 09-22-2010, 04:47 PM
I had the Vypyr 75w. Cleans were okay, the effects were decent, but I did not like the distortion at all. Was very hard to dial in "my tone" and after a week gave up and returned it. It to me sounded like distortion pedals however I will admit mine was very quiet, pretty much no hum/ buzz.
Comment