homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #1

bulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can someone reccomend the best way to drill a sperzel?

I am trying to put a .064 through on my carvin 7 string and it just wont go through, what is the best way to drill the hole safely so i can put the string on?
or should i just take it to the shop considering i just said drill and i dont actually have a drill haha
are there any household items i could use to expand the hole slightly?
bulb is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
dremmel?
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

Spondus is just really niceSpondus is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
had a similar problem putting a .70 on my ibanez, but I went for a slightly different solution. Rather than drilling the tuner, I undid a portion of the winding allowing it to go through
Spondus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
you could just unwind the part of the string that goes into the tuner, so it's just the plain steel core, like the tips of the strings usually are?

it's an easy solution if you don't want to drill.

but if you want to retain the speed of sperzels by drilling it, then obviously unscrew the locking thingy as much as possible, and find a drill bit that is just barely larger than the hole in the tuner itself. find the size that just barely fits, and then use the size right above that, i guess (you could compare the sizes too, and find the bit that is the same size as the string, by looking at the gauges).

i just let a tech/luthier drill the lowest tuner of my intrepid to accept the .74 that went in there. it worked fine, and the tuner looks just as nice as always.

come to think of it, you could get a round file that is thin in one end, and then goes just a teeny bit beyond your required thickness in the other end, and just work your way through with that.

i've only had to drill one tuner ever, and i didn't even do that myself, so...

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
maybe one of those circular files if you have one...?

i was hoping this thread would be the easiest way to drill the holes for the little peg on the back.

i have a set of sperzels just sitting around because i haven't figured how to drill the hole w/o ruining my headstock and i refuse to pay someone for something that i'll find out later was really easy.

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Call up Sperzel, and say, "Bob, could you please drill out a tuner for me? I need it to fit a .064 string. Thanks!"
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Resisting urge to make OT comment about Misha "drilling something" and a tiny hole...

On a serious note: Either MF's suggestion of just using the core of the string or Darren's idea to call Sperzel directly and see if they can send you one pre-drilled might be your best bet Misha.

Rig: PRS -> Kemper -> Atomic CLR
First time in a while I've been THIS happy with my tone!
HighGain510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

Slamp is on a distinguished road
I have used the small round file approach with success to fit an .080 string through my tuner
Slamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
SS Contributor

xtrustisyoursx is just really nicextrustisyoursx is just really nice
I've really found unwinding the string to be the safest and easiest bet.
xtrustisyoursx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

dudeskin is just really nicedudeskin is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
blowtourch it
or give the lot to me
dudeskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

Demeyes is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
When I needed to fit in a bigger string I used the unwinding method. It worked out great for me but if you change strings often it could be a bit of a pain to do all the time.
Demeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #12

bulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnate
yeah on tour we change every 2-3 shows, so i really need to drill it
im not a very handy guy so i dont have a round file, could i get that from a regular hardware store? i might do that or just take it to a shop tomorrow and see if they would do it!
bulb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #13
Formerly Lern2Swim

Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Depending on what type of hardware store, you're probably unlikely to find a decent selection of files. Home Depot and Lowe's, for example, both let me down when I needed a .074 gauge file for my Intrepid's nut.

I'd like to drill out my F# tuner. It's a huge pain to have to unwind it. But I'm really hesitant to do it myself.
Ben.Last is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
Banned

Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
It's pretty easy Misha. Unscrew the locking button thing(on the backside of the tuner) all the way, it'll come off, there is a metal shaft that runs up through the tuner, inside of the actual post, remove that(it should just fall out or slide out). Then drill it. Take the tuner out for best results. I wouldn't go any further than .080 for structural integrity.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #15
Formerly Lern2Swim

Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Shouldn't the openings be filed a bit so there's no sharp edges hitting the string?
Ben.Last is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #16
Banned

Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lern2swim View Post
Shouldn't the openings be filed a bit so there's no sharp edges hitting the string?
Sure.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #17
Melowiddler

DaveCarter is a name known to allDaveCarter is a name known to allDaveCarter is a name known to allDaveCarter is a name known to all
I had to drill out a Sperzel for a 0.64 recently, I actually did it by hand instead of using a drill. Just find the right size drill bit (next size up from the one that fits through) and slowly twist it back n forward in the hole until its through. If the strings still wont fit, try the next size up until the string does fit. Worked a trick for me

UK Guitar Teacher and Session Guitarist

DaveCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 06:58 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

Bevo is just really niceBevo is just really nice
Dave, thats a great idea if the metal is that soft.

Most drill bits come with a case to fit the bits, put the string into the hole to check size.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 07:11 AM   #19
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulb View Post
yeah on tour we change every 2-3 shows, so i really need to drill it
im not a very handy guy so i dont have a round file, could i get that from a regular hardware store? i might do that or just take it to a shop tomorrow and see if they would do it!
Misha - Call up Greg @ Metro Guitars (he's in Arlington so he's not far from you) and ask him if he can help you out. His prices are very reasonable and he's a very cool guy with quick turnaround, tell him you're my buddy and he'll take care of you. Chuck's might do it too but Greg is closer and I'd vouch for his work any day of the week.

Rig: PRS -> Kemper -> Atomic CLR
First time in a while I've been THIS happy with my tone!
HighGain510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #20
Murder Machine

Sepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of light
get a friends drill, get the bit you need size wise, bring the clamp ping inside as far down as it will go, drill, try the string , repeat until it goes thru, i did that to get a .60 in there and it worked great.

although I'm now at .58's

BEARDS: They Instantly Turn Any Man Into A Badass, It's Like Having Machine Guns On Your Face
Sepultorture is offline   Reply With Quote