homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Serious ....age

Arsis is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SED winged =C= VS JJ 6l6

I hear two sayings of great tubes to slam into the power section of a 5150.
the JJs are fairly heap. The SED Winged =C= are not.

Does anyone have some experience with these 2 tubes? What do you think?
Arsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Only plays 1 string

Valserp is a glorious beacon of lightValserp is a glorious beacon of lightValserp is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I loved the JJ 6L6's in my Peavey Ultra. Instant meat and chugginess. That's all the experience I can share, though
Valserp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Lots of people (including me) have had a high failure rate of JJ tubes.
JJ Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Murder Machine

Sepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Rodriguez View Post
Lots of people (including me) have had a high failure rate of JJ tubes.
might just be a bad batch issue

if they fail, you should get your moola back

hear good things about the JJ's, but i hear better of the tung-sol's

BEARDS: They Instantly Turn Any Man Into A Badass, It's Like Having Machine Guns On Your Face
Sepultorture is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Never got my money back. I went through 3 sets in under a year, got them from 2 different stores as well. This is pre-amp and power amp, and I'm also not the only one. If you Google it you can find lots of people who get bad JJ's or they die right quick. Also, some amp manufacturers actually wanted to start using them stock in their amps, but they had a 30% or more failure rate. I believe it was Diezel.
Unread 10-21-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

JMP2203 is just really niceJMP2203 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
sed el34 and 6l6gc are the best current production power tubes

tad also make great stuff, look the 6l6gc-str for more modern tone than the sed
JMP2203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Rodriguez View Post
. Also, some amp manufacturers actually wanted to start using them stock in their amps, but they had a 30% or more failure rate. I believe it was Diezel.
I think Mesa passed on them, too, for the same reason.

Division - American metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook, and Soundclick might eventually be updated, too.
eaeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
.... DJENT

DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.
I'm one of the lucky ones. I use JJ preamp tubes, have sets of KT77s and EL34s and I have yet to have a tube blow on me.
DrakkarTyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Pantysniffing zombie

They sound great when they work though
Unread 10-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #10
Serious ....age

I am into a tight clear type sound also. No one heard have experience with the Cs?
Unread 10-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
NUDE MAN!

LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
I have had good and bad luck with JJ's but nothing but great results with =C=. Tonally they are brighter, clearer, and bigger sounding than JJ's. JJ's always sounded kind of dark to me which isn't always a bad thing. They both have their pros and cons but I would go with =C= personally! Never tried either in a 5150, all my comparing was done with Mesas and Engls.

www.bodenhamer-electronics.com

the official gain merchant of sevenstring.org.
LordOVchaoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I honestly think 5881's sound best with 5150's.
They seem to add warmth, thickness and tightness which you don't get with most 6L6's.
JJ 6L6's aren't bad at all, i can't speak for the winged c's however, havent tried them.

imo tungsol or TAD 5881's are the way to go.
noob_pwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:08 PM   #13
splees

Splees is just really niceSplees is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've had both in my 5150 at one point or another. So far I think the best my 5150 has ever sounded was with winged c's. it was tight, and still powerful. I suppose I can make a quick clip tomorrow if you reallly want to hear what the winged c's sound like in it.
Splees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 12:26 AM   #14
Serious ....age

That would be awesome. Right now i have in Sovtek 6l6s and I am not a fan at all.
Also wanting to get some new pres.
Unread 10-22-2009, 01:14 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

jllozano has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
when going from JJs to =C= in my 5150 i got better attack, clarity and tightness...but less bass density.....but maybe its my ears
jllozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 07:38 AM   #16
Serious ....age

That's interesting. Maybe Mesa oversized will help that.
Unread 10-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

jllozano has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
highly doubt it...i use vader 4x12 and earcandy ported 212's ....
jllozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #18
splees

Splees is just really niceSplees is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here is an Unmasterded high gain clip. agile interceptor, emg 707 mahogany body. SM57 slightly off axis v30 speakers. 5150 settings on the lead channel High gain input
Pre: 4.1
Low 6
Mid 4ish (my pot broke it's hard to tell exactly where it's at)
High 6
Post gain 1.1
Res 5.8
Pres 4.1

Here it is with some Post processing.

And with passives. I used a Gibson SG standard with WCR goodwood in the bridge tuned up a step higher than the 7 string but similar riff... I sloppy I know.

I'll do lower gain and "cleans" later.
Splees is offline   Reply With Quote