homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

I_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120

I just preordered one of these as I've been looking for something with a USB to do some direct recording etc, and with the free footswitch rebate I figured I'd take the chance and return it if I don't like it. I recently had the Line 6 spider valve, and honestly I was not impressed.

So my question is, who here owns one, or has tried one out extensively? How close are the the models? Being Peavey I would hope that the 6505 model should be really darn close. And for any owners, how's the recording?

Extended Scale Destroyer of Worlds

Still searching for the perfect cab...
I_infect is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

zilong has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't recall ever hearing any praise about the USB recording features, but I think you'll like the 6505 model for sure.
zilong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I played the 60-watt combo for awhile at GC and it sounded very good on high gain. I didn't really try any other tones though
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

I_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks guys... I think alot of people are afraid to toss up the cash as these are pretty new. I was flirting with the idea of a Bugera for awhile, but saw these were the same price, with Peavey quality and some recording features. I got the head version; hopefully it will be pretty badass.

Unread 10-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
SS Contributor

Isan is a glorious beacon of lightIsan is a glorious beacon of lightIsan is a glorious beacon of light
Bugeras are way more reliable then the vypyrs ....... but Peavey is WAY better in customer service... But you will love it till it starts freezing all the time
Isan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
Blood_Lust:Unlimited

op1e is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I thought the newer ones weren't freezing due to the firmware update. If your unlucky enough to get one thats been sitting a while you'll need to update through your PC and interface. I've been seriously researching the Tube 60 in order to slim down my setup and have an all in one solution that will fit in my trunk. Every review I've read says the Peavey models are spot on, and thats all I'd be intersted in.

Help!!! All guitars stolen. Pics and serial numbers here;
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/mem...s-guitars.html

Like my band! BLu
op1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isan View Post
Bugeras are way more reliable then the vypyrs ....... but Peavey is WAY better in customer service... But you will love it till it starts freezing all the time
That's what happened to the Line 6 I had... I played it about 45 minutes, and it started 're-booting' itself for lack of a better term. Needless to say It went straight back. I'm still iffy on Bugera, and I thought about getting one just for the tone, but really I wanted something a bit more versatile as I have a bunch of different tube heads already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by op1e View Post
I've been seriously researching the Tube 60 in order to slim down my setup and have an all in one solution that will fit in my trunk. Every review I've read says the Peavey models are spot on, and thats all I'd be intersted in.
My thoughts exactly! They're giving away the footswitches you know, with the tube versions I think. You have to send in for it though.

Last edited by I_infect; 10-03-2009 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 10-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
SS Contributor

Isan is a glorious beacon of lightIsan is a glorious beacon of lightIsan is a glorious beacon of light
Last I checked These are still horrible unreliable .... Check the peavey forums
Unread 10-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isan View Post
Last I checked These are still horrible unreliable .... Check the peavey forums
Well noted, thanks... they don't ship til the end of October so I'll find out then.

Unread 10-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

ykcirj is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
you should definately do a detailed review of this amp when you get it. Ive heard alot about this new line and would like to see if they are as good as some say they are.
ykcirj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #11
SS Contributor

the effects suck .... the tone rules .... reliability is still VERY hit or miss ,mostly miss (checked the peavey forums ... still has bad problems)
Unread 10-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
Christpuncher66(6)

christpuncher66 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
theres on at the music store close to my house. i tried it and thought it was awesome. as for being able to capture the 5150 tone, i cant say. i havent tried it out since i got my 5150. at the time i remember it sounding good though. maybe ill go sometime soon.
christpuncher66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #13
Classy
Super Moderator

Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
FWIW, Oli Herbert was using a couple of these when I saw All That Remains last week. Sounded top.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLCİ
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

FretWizard88 is a glorious beacon of lightFretWizard88 is a glorious beacon of lightFretWizard88 is a glorious beacon of light
I have the 60watt tube combo, and I love it. You can get a lot of different amp tones out of it and for the price you can't really go wrong.
FretWizard88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #15
ss.org Regular

norrin radcliff is a jewel in the rough
I picked up a 75W Vypyr last week. My first choice was the 60W tube, but it was sold before I had my funds together. I had the chance to A/B the 60W and 75W, and the difference between the two was very subtle, but noticeable.

My comments below are based on my experience with the 75. My initial impression is this:
  1. The high gain models sounds really good - and I have the solid state 75W. The 6505 model is where mine has lived for the past 5 days, other than just checking out the other models.
  2. The clean models also sound really good.
  3. The USB and 1/8" plugs work well, although the USB recording output level doesn't seem high enough, and there's no adjustability that I can find other that the pre-out.
I have played it live with 2 other guitarists, a bass player and drummer at a live gig, and all of them commented how awesome the tone was. I had a "brown sound" VH tone dialed in with some delay, reverb, and phasing.

Playing it live, I was competing with a DI'ed bass, a JCM 800 4x12, and a Boogie Nomad. I had my 75W on 3.5/4 and was cutting through easily.

There are several effects that I'll never use on this thing (rotary speaker, autowah, etc.) and the nobs are a pretty cheesy (the detents for the different amps/effect don't "click", which makes it easy to over shoot them).

Note: I "forced" the unit to lock up this weekend. I read numerous posts that said, power up the unit before plugging in, or it could lock up. Well I thought I'd try it, and it did. All other uses did not result in a lock up, and I powered the unit before plugging it in....

Bottom line on the 75W Vypyr:
Great tone, lots of power, no hum (as others have observed), some effects will never get used, awesome bang for the buck, can lock up - but doesn't have to if you follow the "power up" protocol.

Based on my needs, I may return the amp and pay the extra money for the 6505+ 112 combo. As I use minimal effects, and love the 6505 tone, I can gain an effects loop for my delay, and a Direct and Cab out, which the Vypyr 75 does not have. But, that flexibility will cost another $300, and for some, it might not really be worth it...
norrin radcliff is offline   Reply With Quote