homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-16-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
Texas CEO / RHLC

st2012 is a glorious beacon of lightst2012 is a glorious beacon of lightst2012 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Question Peavey 3120 vs. Bugera 6262

I have about 1 more month before my new amp day and I've narrowed it down to these 2 models. I actually like the distorted tones about the same. I like the cleans a bit better on the Peavey. The 6262 costs a bit less but I've heard a few stories about Bugera's being a bit unreliable so the Peavey is probably built better. Anyone's opinion's/experiences would be welcome. I'd also listen to any suggestions you guys have in the same price range. Thanks!
st2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
WWSD?

DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To me it's a no brainer. I'd go 3120 all day long..but then again I just really miss my XXX and I want a 3120 as a replacement.
DrakkarTyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
Parker über alles

yingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Why not get a 6505+? It's the same tones as a 6262 but a little nicer (since the 6262 is just a shameful 6505+ clone) and it won't kasplode. It's just a little bit more than the 3120 you're looking at, and in my opinion, sounds leagues better.

I have a problem cn this mod ke the eicoli and the infantry cn a blow dies what can make?

excused for the errors but are Italian
yingmin is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Texas CEO / RHLC

st2012 is a glorious beacon of lightst2012 is a glorious beacon of lightst2012 is a glorious beacon of light
I do like the 6505+ but the 3120 is $999 for the head and cab together. The 6505+ runs about 2-$300 more for the head alone.
Unread 08-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

MacTown09 is just really niceMacTown09 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by st2012 View Post
I do like the 6505+ but the 3120 is $999 for the head and cab together. The 6505+ runs about 2-$300 more for the head alone.
Not sure where you are shopping unless you are getting it used. Everywhere i have seen the 3120 head alone cost $999. But going with drakker, get the 3120 man. Its a really great amp and can get absolutely crushing if you dial it right. I cant wait to get some KT88's in my XXX
MacTown09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
Parker über alles

yingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTown09 View Post
Not sure where you are shopping unless you are getting it used. Everywhere i have seen the 3120 head alone cost $999. But going with drakker, get the 3120 man. Its a really great amp and can get absolutely crushing if you dial it right. I cant wait to get some KT88's in my XXX
Guitar Center has that deal on the 3120, but I don't know if other places are doing it. GC sells the 6505+ for 1159, which is not THAT much more than a 3120. Buy the 6505+ and insist that they give you the free cab with that instead.

I have a problem cn this mod ke the eicoli and the infantry cn a blow dies what can make?

excused for the errors but are Italian
yingmin is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
Texas CEO / RHLC

Well I played a 6262 combo first but I tried a 6260 head earlier today and liked it a lot more. Now I'm thinking about maybe getting a Bugera head and pairing it with a Vader cab...
Unread 08-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #8

Meldville is just really niceMeldville is just really nice
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Considered a used 5150 or XXX instead? I see used XXXs for 500ish all the time. Snag a used Vader and voila!
Meldville is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #9
.... Your Face!

NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
3120!!!!

It's such a better amp and it won't asplode.
NegaTiveXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
Texas CEO / RHLC

How does the 6505 2x12 combo compare to the 6505 half stack? One of my only problems with the stack is that it doesn't sound nearly as good at "bedroom volume" so maybe the combo would be a good middle ground. I'll try to hunt one down somewhere in my area and give it a test-drive...
Unread 08-22-2009, 06:40 PM   #11
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by st2012 View Post
Now I'm thinking about maybe getting a Bugera head and pairing it with a Vader cab...
I had considered doing that.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #12
The Crimson Comedian

sepherus is just really nicesepherus is just really nice
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
You may want to wait till the 6505+ 112 combo (would that make it the 6617 combo?) comes out then. As long as the tone and reliability is true to the original, you should be more pleased with it at lower volume.

sepherus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 04:44 AM   #13
ss.org Regular

drenzium can only hope to improve
My 6262 has been an absolute trooper so far. I changed out V1 to a tungsol 12AX7, the distorted channel tightened up, coupled with an overdrive, my orange ppc412a and the dimarzio's in my esp, it destroys worlds.

I recommend it hands down, it will probably be the same quality (or a tiny bit less) than the 3120 as its clearly going to be a stripped/cheaper version of the 6505 to fit into a lower price bracket. The problems and bugs have been slowly fixed along the way from the initial run of bugeras, they were rushed and thus resulted in everyones problems and added skepticism that plagues every single topic regarding the brand.
drenzium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #14
Dybbuk

Samer is pretty damn metal.Samer is pretty damn metal.Samer is pretty damn metal.Samer is pretty damn metal.Samer is pretty damn metal.Samer is pretty damn metal.Samer is pretty damn metal.Samer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
IMO the Peavey 3120 is the best Peavey amp out there, better than a JSX / 6505 + (after head to head comparison)

The free cab you get at guitar center is worthless, its the entry level peavey cab with bad speakers, you are going to want to get a good cab to go along with any amp you buy.

If you want a 6505 you can buy them cheaper on ebay
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 08:25 PM   #15
SS Contributor

Isan is a glorious beacon of lightIsan is a glorious beacon of lightIsan is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you want to try out my 333.... just let me know... IMO it slaughters the 6262
Isan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 08:31 PM   #16
Dr.Poopyalligator

poopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samer View Post
The free cab you get at guitar center is worthless, its the entry level peavey cab with bad speakers, you are going to want to get a good cab to go along with any amp you buy.

they have been throwing out those peavey windsor cabs. You should see the way they sell those things to kids. They wait for somebody buying their first halfstack and try to unload those things, or when kids are looking at combos they try to sell them a crappy head and pair it up with one of those things for a good price.
poopyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #17
SS Contributor

Isan is a glorious beacon of lightIsan is a glorious beacon of lightIsan is a glorious beacon of light
yeah it is a terrible cab
Unread 08-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #18
WWSD?

DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.
CHRIST I want a 3120
Unread 08-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #19
SS Contributor

have you tried the 333? it is much better sounding than the the 3120...
Unread 08-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #20
WWSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isan View Post
have you tried the 333? it is much better sounding than the the 3120...
I have not..but I'm still skeptical of anything Bugera..especially on a professional level. The 333 is a redone XXX, I'll stick to the original. And when I get a 3120 I'll be modding it so it's not a huge factor tonewise.
Unread 08-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #21
SS Contributor

the 3120 just lacks soooooo much clarity... for the same price you can get two 333's.
my bugera has held together fine and i play at max volume daily ...... i have no doubts that i can gig with it without a backup
Unread 08-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #22
WWSD?

I'm mainly getting one to be a more aggressive version of my DTX. So stock tones don't apply. Not to mention I love the 3120 look.
Unread 08-24-2009, 09:51 PM   #23
Dr.Poopyalligator

poopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis View Post
I'm mainly getting one to be a more aggressive version of my DTX. So stock tones don't apply. Not to mention I love the 3120 look.

The 3120 is a pretty attractive amp, I am sure with some nice mods, and a boost it will sound epic. As for those bugeras, even though I know they have made some strides and supposedly fixed the problems with them. I still have a hard time wanting to buy one just because of the two bad experiences I have with them. I was trying out a 6262 in the store, and i was the very first person to ask to play it to see what it sounded like. Literally about 10 minutes into it, it made a big pop and stopped working all together. Then there was another time this guitarist from another band just got one, and i mean just got one, and it ....ed up on him on their second song.
Unread 08-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #24
WWSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopyalligator View Post
The 3120 is a pretty attractive amp, I am sure with some nice mods, and a boost it will sound epic. As for those bugeras, even though I know they have made some strides and supposedly fixed the problems with them. I still have a hard time wanting to buy one just because of the two bad experiences I have with them. I was trying out a 6262 in the store, and i was the very first person to ask to play it to see what it sounded like. Literally about 10 minutes into it, it made a big pop and stopped working all together. Then there was another time this guitarist from another band just got one, and i mean just got one, and it ....ed up on him on their second song.
Mind you I've NEVER had my Peavey amps so much as blow a tube. So yeah..I'd rather pay for the Peavey.
Unread 08-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #25
Dr.Poopyalligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis View Post
Mind you I've NEVER had my Peavey amps so much as blow a tube. So yeah..I'd rather pay for the Peavey.
Yup, none of mine have either, and i own a 5150,6505 + and i used to own a xxx. I would definitely go with the peavey (or an engl lol).