homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
TheGuiltyUnpunished

danenachtrieb is just really nicedanenachtrieb is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gonna buy a new amp head, need help!

Gonna buy a new amp head. im coming to terms with the fact that i cant do anything for my blue voodoo anymore. everything i do for it is pretty much only satisfying for a week. i do realize now that i need a new head altogether. whatever i get will be run through an orange cab. im low on cash so here's what im looking at.

carvin V3: mark heylmun used to use these and i love his tone. i would probably buy this brand new.

peavy 6505: everyone uses these on the road and the other guitarist in my band said that it's because it's one of the most reliable amps of all time. i would only be able to afford a used one, which is a turn off because i dont know much about the inner workings of peavy amps, and i dont feel like replacing and/or fixing shit.

mesa dual rectifier solo: i love these damn things and occasionally they go for pretty cheap on ebay. yet again id only be able to afford it used. i know they're very high maintenance though.

any input would be great and feel free to drop personal opinions of the V3 because i dont know much about them.

by the way are orange heads any good?
danenachtrieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I wouldn't worry too much about buying either of those amps used. As far as actual tone comparisons go, you can go to GC and try Mesa and Peavey at least. I've never played a V3 before.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you like the gain sounds of the carvin, you can't go wrong there. Every Carvin I've ever heard had a great clean channel, so no worries there. It also has the edge on bells and whistles compared to the other amps you are looking at.

Instead of a 6505, why not an original 5150? It's the same amp, except the used 5150 will cost less compared to a used 6505.
pink freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
WWSD?

DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink freud View Post
Instead of a 6505, why not an original 5150? It's the same amp, except the used 5150 will cost less compared to a used 6505.
Not entirely true. Idiots still think the 5150 is better than the 6505..so you get a lot of people trying to sell "the original" for much more.
DrakkarTyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
step 1. make amp list - check
step 2. take your guitar and test them.

I do believe you're at step 2

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
thrashin`til`death

Nightcrawler is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
by the way are orange heads any good?
yes.
Nightcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
Rivethead Magnate.

Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
yes.
This.

I tried the Thunderverb 200 not too long ago, and it was quite simply monstrous. If i'd had the $4,000AUD, i'd have bought it then and there. Massive roar to it, but a very open sounding 'grind' to the tone as well, kind of like the hotrodded Marshall tone, but infiinitely better, and infinitely more powerful.

Buy! buy! buy!
Daemoniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
SS Contributor

Ostia Man is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the only bad thing about the blue voodoo is the preamp section...
yeah, about 50% of the amp, I know.
but the blue voodoo has an amaizing power section. not only volume wise, but the tone.
If you use a tube preamp and only use the voodoo as a power amp(fx loop return input) youll get better results. even a pod or a boss gt will sound better that the BV preamp section.
thats why I still have mine, because of the power section.
Ostia Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 11:37 PM   #9
The Crimson Comedian

sepherus is just really nicesepherus is just really nice
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Peavey are built like tanks. I used to own a 6505+. It had a cap issue really early on that was covered by warranty, after that it got dropped, banged around and fairly abused (without being scuffed some how.) I had a Triple X combo that had similar road type abuse also. Neither had issues.

My Rectifier (though I haven't gigged with it) survived shipping through the USPS with no issues, and a few gigs with some friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostia Man View Post
the only bad thing about the blue voodoo is the preamp section...
yeah, about 50% of the amp, I know.
but the blue voodoo has an amaizing power section. not only volume wise, but the tone.
If you use a tube preamp and only use the voodoo as a power amp(fx loop return input) youll get better results. even a pod or a boss gt will sound better that the BV preamp section.
thats why I still have mine, because of the power section.
This is quite true actually. Crate knows how to make proper power sections surprisingly. It's a shame the pre-amps sound like overdriven mixers with extra fizz.

Couple you amp with a decent yet inexpensive pre-amp and you won't have to worry. I've heard good things about all the Rocktron stuff, Engl has the E530 which is supposed to slay, Peavey Rockmasters are inexpensive and amazing, Radial Tonebones are really nice, and there are tons of options besides.

sepherus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 04:16 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
5150/6505's are bulletproof and have an awesome high-gain sound that is one of the staples of modern metal (as you would be well aware).
I wouldn't think twice about this if that's you're list, Im not a huge fan of the solo, it doesn't seem to have the same girth to it as the dual recto. At the end of the day it really comes down to what sound you prefer.
so go try them out!
noob_pwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 05:19 AM   #11
Rivethead Magnate.

Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
^ Good advice

From what i've been told about the V3, it's quite similar to the Dual Recto in many respects, but with a darker sound to it. I've not tried one myself, but i have heard that from several people if it helps
Daemoniac is offline   Reply With Quote