homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-23-2009, 02:44 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

GorillaSalsa is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Getting Petrucci's Delay Sound.

I've always loved the way that John Petrucci's guitar has sounded, specifically the depth that his delays add to his sound. I know that he uses Eventide Timefactors, and he has one (two?) set to two different delay times, one being the half of the other (i.e. 600ms on one and 300ms on the other). I want to get that same delay sound, but I don't have $400-$800 to spend on delays alone, so I was thinking of getting two EHX #1 Echos and setting one to half the speed of the other. How well do you think this would fare for me?
GorillaSalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-23-2009, 03:20 AM   #2
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
Yes, he's double-delayed for years. I believe he uses a 400-440 on one, and like a 680-720 on the other. You get the "cascade" effect and the "echo" effect that way. Criss Oliva did this as well for some of the best lead tones imaginable. Though, you don't want exact doubled times as they just start to stack up and loose the overall effect of two delays. The trick with getting two EHX pedals is that you have to figure out on how to get them running in parallel. Set up in serial order, you get a different effect (cool in its own right, for atmospheric stuff especially) but not great for lead work.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 04:38 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variant View Post
Yes, he's double-delayed for years. I believe he uses a 400-440 on one, and like a 680-720 on the other. You get the "cascade" effect and the "echo" effect that way. Criss Oliva did this as well for some of the best lead tones imaginable. Though, you don't want exact doubled times as they just start to stack up and loose the overall effect of two delays. The trick with getting two EHX pedals is that you have to figure out on how to get them running in parallel. Set up in serial order, you get a different effect (cool in its own right, for atmospheric stuff especially) but not great for lead work.
I could just buy something like this, though, and it would work?
Unread 07-23-2009, 04:38 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

onefingersweep is a jewel in the rough
Boss Giga Delay, might work.
onefingersweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 04:41 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

No. I like having a pedalboard.

When I posted this, the guy above me told me to get a G-Major.
vvvvvvvv
Unread 07-23-2009, 06:28 AM   #6
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
The Boss gigadelay IS a pedal...

Guitars: PRS (lots <3), Suhr, Parker, Schecter, Carvin
Rigs: Kemper + Atomic CLR, Invader 100, Port City and Mojo cabs w/ Scumback M75's/Hellatone 60's

HighGain510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 06:30 AM   #7
F'king ............

distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.
One option might be to use something like the Boss Line Selector, which lets you blend two different effects chains. Having said that, do you have two amps available, ideally with effects loops, as going stereo is a big part of this sound. There was an interview with Petrucci on the Boss website where he explains how he wires up his amps and delay pedal to get a big stereo sound when he can't bring his full rack. Here's the article...

http://www.bossus.com/boss_users_gro...p?ArticleId=30

Define 'well-adjusted'...

http://farsideguitars.blogspot.com/
distressed_romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
^

You'll want something active, because with a Y-Cable, you'll load down you're signal. But it may be okay if you run a parallel loop and set your mix higher than usual to make up for the loss in gain. You don't generally run a reflection more than 50% anyway.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 05:26 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

onefingersweep is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaSalsa View Post
No. I like having a pedalboard.

When I posted this, the guy above me told me to get a G-Major.
vvvvvvvv
I misunderstood your question so I changed my post

Giga Delay however have a Tape Echo simulator which you can run two tape heads on with different times.
onefingersweep is offline   Reply With Quote