homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

View Poll Results: HT5 vs Rebel 20 vs Achemist vs E530
Alchemist 5 45.45%
E530 0 0%
HT5 4 36.36%
Rebel 20 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-21-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

Fionn is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Blackstar HT5 vs Egnater Rebel 20 vs Bogner Alchemist

I'm looking for a low power head to be paired with either an ENGL 1x12 (V30s) or a Framus 2x12 (V30s).

Its mainly going to be used to track with but I would like the option to use it live etc.

The Blackstar hasn't got any buit in FX but the price is so low I can go buy some decent pedals or a rack FX if needed! And neither has the Egnater but again its cheaper than the Alchemist so FX is an affordable option!

What I am more interested in is the voicings, I'm playing a C7 (707s) with a Maxon OD808 (helps tame the grainy HF of the 707s) at the mo, tuned to Drop G. I'm looking for tight defined bass, rich growly low mids, smooth high mids and a open airy top end. I fooking hate Marshally grainy brittle high mids. I think my ideal amp ever would be an Uberschall (only going on the Bogner site clips mind you), to give an ideal of my "perfect tone".

I know Bulb has just reviewed two of these and I have read both, I'm just fishing for any other comments people might have to share...

On a stupid but sorta important question, the Bogner is the only one that won't fit on top a 1x12 so, that is also factoring in on my purchase decision, I don't really want a head bigger than the cab, seems a bit unstable. So has anyone used the Framus Cab and/or the ENGL? I'm not sure there will me much tone diff between them?

The only other options I'm considering is a) waiting for the 6505+ 1x12 combo or b) staying with my E530 Gmajor Velocity rig and buying a better power amp (tube) and ENGL 1x12.

Cheers!

just added a poll for fun!

Perfection at Blistering Speeds! TM

Last edited by Fionn; 03-21-2009 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Fionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
TMM
UUDDLRLRBAStart

TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 59 reviews
I haven't played the HT5 yet, but I've played the other 3, and IMHO the E530 & Rebel can't hold a candle to the Alchemist. It's definitely in a different league from the other low-wattage amps you have listed.

It's not to say the E530 and Rebel weren't nice, but the Alchemist is truly a pro-level amp.
TMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
Resident Gangsta

GH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I tried the bogner 2x12 and thought it was decent. It was a bit muddy imo though. I didn't care for the speaker combination in it. But then again, you won't have this problem with a head because you can match it with whatever speakers you want.

I posted a very similar thread too...
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gea...ml#post1426260

Last edited by GH0STrider; 03-21-2009 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
GH0STrider is offline   Reply With Quote