homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-15-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

ClassicAxe will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
NAD: Carvin V3 (Full review / Rig pics inside)

Just got a Carvin V3. I saw a lot of mixed reviews on it, some people claiming it being fuzzy, but a lot of praises as well. I decided to just go for it. Carvin has a 10day money back gaurantee, and at 850$ brand new... I couldnt see any harm in purchasing the amp.

If your not interested in reading the review, the pics are below. Check em out.

First Impression:
Looks good! Would look better all black... So i decided to paint the faceplate black. Looks much better than the stock industrial grey color... Lots of knobs, lots of switches and options, which is a good thing in my book, i like tweaking. On the back, the switches for impedance and other little knobs,etc, are recessed from the backplate. You have to use a little screwdriver or other various tool to adjust the impedance, etc.. This is a good thing and a bad thing. A good thing because you dont have to worry about it getting switched accidently, etc.... A bad thing because its just annoying to get the tool out to change the impedance every time. Luckily, impedance doesnt ever need to really be changed unless your using more cabinets than normal, or using a different cabinet period.

Overall, good looking amp that is built very well. Solid and sturdy, built in the USA. Not too heavy/big either. One of the main reasons i went with this amp was because it would fit in my mesa recto head/rack case... It is a really tight fit though may i add.

Sound: I plugged in for a few minutes before i had to leave for work just to test it out. I was initially a little bit dissapointed. But i knew the thing had lots of knobs and is not a plug and play amp, so i waited till i got home to work with it some more.

After adjustments and tweaks, i got some great, great sounds. This amp is very versatile! I have owned an XXX(full JJ retube) and Line6 HD147, and the V3 is definately better than both, IMO. I play in deathcore/deathmetal band and this amp fits the bill perfectly. Some people claim the amp to be really fizzy, but i dialied it right out by cranking the master volume and adjusting the channel volume for volumes.

PS - Im boosting with a MaxonOD808

Features:

Great clean channel, 2 identical overdrive channels that go from plexi to recto/6505. 50w/100w switchable. This is a LOUD 100watt amp, holy shit! The amp also has 2 effects loops, 1 serial & 1 parallel. This is really usefull! I keep a gate/compressor in the serial loop, and a Boss RV3 reverb/delay in the parallel loop. The amp has smart loops so i can keep both loops on simultaneously or just one. And each channel remembers which ones i have set to where. This is one of my favorite features in the amp and i have complete control over my rhythym / lead tones(with the loop /w delay) with the switch of a channel. Standard from factory with full groove tubes set - EL34 / 12AX7s. Its got a bias switch for 6l6gcs. Im thinking of putting 6l6s in to give this amp a more modern tone, but im gonna stick with the EL34s for a while.

So far, im very pleased. An 850$ 3 channel modern amp with great sounds across the board is a winner in my book.

Heres my chain along with pics:
Front: 7string > Korg DTR100 Rack Tuner > ISP Decimator > DOD Chorus > Maxon OD808 > Carvin V3 > Vader 4x12

Loop 1: Alesis 3630 Gate/Compressor(Temporary until i get a dedicated rack gate.

Loop 2: Boss RV3 Reverb/Delay Pedal

Pics:

I know this pic looks stupid, but it gives you an idea of what it the amp looks like in lowlight (usual gig situation)

I will try and get some videos up soon as well, or sound clips, either way...

-dave

GEAR:
Carvin V3
Vader 4x12
Ibanez RG7620
Halo Morbus 7(Endorsed)
Jackson Soloist SL3
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator
Digitech Studio400 Rack Processor
2x15 Rack EQ
Furman PC
KORG DTR1000 Tuner

BAND:
Immaculate
ClassicAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-15-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
.... DJENT

DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool review and I agree..that amp looks MUCH better black
DrakkarTyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
SSBRO.org regular

CYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to behold
Very nice rig man. congrats on the amp. They have always interested me.
CYBERSYN is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 03:29 AM   #4
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
cool, thanks for info and

CONGRATS
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 06:03 AM   #5
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Looks fantastic - and Carvin amps have always required some fiddling (I used to have an X100B boosted with a 'Guvnor pedal) but the results are worthwhile

Grats!

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Lord Super Awesome

Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
One of my guitarists in the AIC Tribute sold his 2ch Triple Recto & started using a V3 last year. It has everything the Recto had, but with a much better clean channel. Plus, it nails the AIC tone. WIN WIN!
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
ss.org Regular

Thanks for all the comments guys! I definately think the V3 deserves some more recognition. Its definately a contender with the mesas and 6505s, etc, with more versatility, adjustments and features/options, and an excellent clean channel.

Seriously, you cant go wrong at 850$ new with a 10day money back gaurantee....

If anyone has any questions, hit me up, id be glad to answer them to the best of my ability.

GEAR:
Carvin V3
Vader 4x12
Ibanez RG7620
Halo Morbus 7(Endorsed)
Jackson Soloist SL3
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator
2x15 Rack EQ
Furman PC
KORG DTR1000 Tuner

BAND:
Immaculate
Unread 03-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
Spider Pig

Tuned2F will become famous soon enough
Our rhythm guitarist has a V3. We're using a 15 band EQ on it and still can't dial up a thick, punchy tone. It's always thin, shrill, and fizzy.

Any suggestions?
Tuned2F is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned2F View Post
Our rhythm guitarist has a V3. We're using a 15 band EQ on it and still can't dial up a thick, punchy tone. It's always thin, shrill, and fizzy.

Any suggestions?

Make sure he has EQX enabled.
EQX settings something like this:
Master volume: 6-7 (adjust overall volume level using channel volume. Keep the master pretty high at all times)
Boost: 7-8
Bright: 4-6
Mid-Cut: 2-3
Deep: 7-8

My channel settings(overdrive):
Mode: Intense
Presence: 5-6
Treble: 5-6
Mid: 8
Bass: 6
Drive: 7.5(with boost up front)

The one thing i need to stress is the fine tweaking of the Mid knob on the channel adjustments and the Mid-Cut on the EQX adjustments. These need to be tweaked simultaneously till you find that sweet spot.

Keep in mind these are MY settings. This is what works for me, and it sounds great.

Switch between thick/intense modes, and find out whats better for him...

Also, try switching to 50watts then cranking the master even more. This will thicken up things even more. Even on 50watts the amp is still loud as shit.

Hope this helps

-dave

GEAR:
Carvin V3
Vader 4x12
Ibanez RG7620
Halo Morbus 7(Endorsed)
Jackson Soloist SL3
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator
2x15 Rack EQ
Furman PC
KORG DTR1000 Tuner

BAND:
Immaculate
Unread 03-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
Spider Pig

Thanks man,

It'll be a few days before I can let you know how this turns out.
Unread 03-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
ss.org Regular

Alright cool. Make sure and let me know.

Id sell the EQ and with the money, buy a tubescreamer. Ibanez or Maxon OD808, either way. With the EQX, you really dont need the external EQ.

Also, worst comes to worst, switch to 6l6gcs. This will get rid of that barky characteristic the amp has, and thicken up the low end.

GEAR:
Carvin V3
Vader 4x12
Ibanez RG7620
Halo Morbus 7(Endorsed)
Jackson Soloist SL3
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator
2x15 Rack EQ
Furman PC
KORG DTR1000 Tuner

BAND:
Immaculate
Unread 03-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #12
Spider Pig

We've tried 3 different tube screamers through it. Maxon OD9, Fulltone OCD, Keely Modded TS808.

We're just having trouble getting a nice low end punch.
Unread 03-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #13
ss.org Regular

Do you know if his EQX is enabled? When mines disabled, the amp has no punch it all. Its designed to be used. As soon as i turn the EQX on, i get lots of low end punch. Im sure my Vader helps in this department as well ;]

What kind of cabinet is he using?

Try enabling EQX and crank the Deep and Boost knobs.

Make sure his lows are up on the channel volume. Im sure they are if you guys were having trouble with the low end punch.

GEAR:
Carvin V3
Vader 4x12
Ibanez RG7620
Halo Morbus 7(Endorsed)
Jackson Soloist SL3
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator
2x15 Rack EQ
Furman PC
KORG DTR1000 Tuner

BAND:
Immaculate
Unread 03-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #14
Spider Pig

We're using a G-flex and Cornford 2x12.

I'll email him to see what's goin down with it.
Unread 03-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #15
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned2F View Post
We're using a G-flex and Cornford 2x12.

I'll email him to see what's goin down with it.

GEAR:
Carvin V3
Vader 4x12
Ibanez RG7620
Halo Morbus 7(Endorsed)
Jackson Soloist SL3
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator
2x15 Rack EQ
Furman PC
KORG DTR1000 Tuner

BAND:
Immaculate
Unread 03-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #16
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Congrats man, nice set up
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #17
.... DJENT

DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.
Hey Class..could you by chance get a pic of the inside of the amp? I just want to see how the tube layout and everything is

*If Drakkar decides to get one it must have spacing for KT88's....*
Unread 03-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #18
ss.org Regular

^ Definately. I could do that tomorrow after work.

How do KT88s sound compared to EL34s and 6l6gc? Are they compatible with el34 or 6l6 slots?

GEAR:
Carvin V3
Vader 4x12
Ibanez RG7620
Halo Morbus 7(Endorsed)
Jackson Soloist SL3
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator
2x15 Rack EQ
Furman PC
KORG DTR1000 Tuner

BAND:
Immaculate
Unread 03-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #19
.... DJENT

6550/KT88 tubes just sound huge. Huge but right bottom end, cutting top, and depending on the brand you get they can be a lot like KT77's in the midrange or have a bit of a mid range spike. I use Sovtek 6550s because they've got all the qualities of the tube, but with a midrange spike so I still get that KT77 vibe, just with way more balls
Unread 03-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #20
ss.org Regular

^ Sounds like the right tubes for me.... But are they compatible with the V3, electrical wise?

GEAR:
Carvin V3
Vader 4x12
Ibanez RG7620
Halo Morbus 7(Endorsed)
Jackson Soloist SL3
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator
2x15 Rack EQ
Furman PC
KORG DTR1000 Tuner

BAND:
Immaculate
Unread 03-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #21
SS Contributor

ChrisPcritter is a glorious beacon of lightChrisPcritter is a glorious beacon of lightChrisPcritter is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Great amp... I've gotten to play quite a few of those. I liked the sound better before they switched to Groove Tubes. I had one that was retubed with Ruby tubes that sounded amazing. You have to have a pedal to engage the boost (or at least you use to.) when the boost is on it sounds even better..
ChrisPcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #22
.... DJENT

I don't really know. You should ask around. Carvin has a forum I'm sure and ask them as well. As a matter of fact, shoot Jerry of FJA mods an email and ask him. I was told on a few occasions (from Peavey) that the JSX doesn't take 6550 tubes, however that's mainly to cover themselves. My amp has been running with 0 problem since I made the swap, HOWEVER I'm still going to do some upgrades to the amp to be certain..and trust me it's worth it. I swear I'll never play another amp that's not KT88 capable
Unread 03-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #23
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Grats man.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #24
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
I'd KT77 it.

and also what you said about it being a loud 100W - 100W amps are loud, dude. I wouldnt be able to use my JSX at home if I left the master dimed and used the channel volumes to set levels - i tried that at home, didnt last too long!

congrats. I take it you knew you weren't going to return it, since you painted the faceplate

Rock on!
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #25
ss.org Regular

^ I understand 100watts is loud, but compared to my 120 XXX and my buddys 6505, this 100 watt is louder from the comparisons ive seen so far.

Thats why i claimed its a loud 100watter.

Thanks for all the comments/compliments though guys.

GEAR:
Carvin V3
Vader 4x12
Ibanez RG7620
Halo Morbus 7(Endorsed)
Jackson Soloist SL3
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator
2x15 Rack EQ
Furman PC
KORG DTR1000 Tuner