homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #26
SS.org Regular

TravisMontgomery has much to be proud ofTravisMontgomery has much to be proud ofTravisMontgomery has much to be proud ofTravisMontgomery has much to be proud ofTravisMontgomery has much to be proud ofTravisMontgomery has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeah, I see what you guys are saying about the tube power amp. I was just going to use my Mesa cab and practice, and at shows I was going to run the Axe through the FOH and use my cab for stage sound.
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #27
Woopah!

Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Now, I'm not trying to be flippant, but if this thing really is as good as the hype suggests, why would you want to use anything other than the cleanest of power amps, like a PA system?

youtube.com/ibanezcassidy - My YouTube channel. Guitar vidz.

www.soundclick.com/leecassidy - Let me squirt my music into your ears.

"You might as well be suckin' Wes Borland's no-talent dick if you play with any more than six strings on your ....ing guitar." - A Blabbermouth genius.
Unread 11-17-2008, 11:27 AM   #28
Arktanian Diplomat

Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leec View Post
Now, I'm not trying to be flippant, but if this thing really is as good as the hype suggests, why would you want to use anything other than the cleanest of power amps, like a PA system?
Good question, and I honestly don't understand it myself. But even a hifi, full range, purely clean, tube power amp will crush a solid state one. At least that's where I'm leaning.
Unread 11-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #29
Classy
Super Moderator

Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Same. However, I've heard from a few different people that actually DO use a solid state, PA-style power amp and swear by it.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLCİ
Unread 11-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #30
Arktanian Diplomat

Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.
Yep, some guys love using it that way, but I'm not quite getting it yet.
Unread 11-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #31
Is a Pastafarian

sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
I have a PA in my house right now. I'll try my Axe out through it tonight, but from what I've done recording direct.. the power amp sims are pretty good. Very effective at shaping the tone and response of your virtual amp. But the cab sims just aren't that great.. I'm kind of disappointed they modeled a power amp properly, but then just use average quality impulses to model the speakers.

I haven't plugged in any Recabinet impulses yet though. That would probably solve my issues with the cab modeling, but at the moment, I wouldn't really be proud of my tone if I was running the Axe cab sims direct in or into a PA system.

Soundcloud - New clip 9/16/2014
Unread 11-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #32
Arktanian Diplomat

^^ That's why Cliff included slots for user impulses
Unread 11-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #33
Is a Pastafarian

sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepp88 View Post
^^ That's why Cliff included slots for user impulses
yeah I know. Recabinet includes Axe FX impulses of the whole library now too.
I just don't get why the stock Axe impulses are kind of crappy

Unread 11-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #34
Woopah!

Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
I may have phrased that badly. What I mean is, it seems to me that the best choice would be a PA power amp. If the Axe-FX's poweramp and cab sim is as good as is said, I'd have thought a good PA would be all you need.

When the Pod XT's were first out and there was a similar level of hype about them, it seemed everyone was advocating PA amps with them; just going FOH. That didn't last too long and soon everyone was saying you needed a tube power amp to bring out the best.

youtube.com/ibanezcassidy - My YouTube channel. Guitar vidz.

www.soundclick.com/leecassidy - Let me squirt my music into your ears.

"You might as well be suckin' Wes Borland's no-talent dick if you play with any more than six strings on your ....ing guitar." - A Blabbermouth genius.
Unread 11-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #35
Disposable Hero

The Trooper is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I may have phrased that badly. What I mean is, it seems to me that the best choice would be a PA power amp. If the Axe-FX's poweramp and cab sim is as good as is said, I'd have thought a good PA would be all you need.
To approximate the general sound, sure that may be the case. The power amp sim will impart the tonal characteristics of the power amp it's emulating just like the preamps. However, it doesn't supply power (stating the obvious, I know). So, you're at the mercy of the power amp that you feed it through.

What does all that mean? It means that you can run it through a clean, neutral sounding power amp and you'll still get the general sound of running through whatever tube power amp you're emulating...but you won't have the same feel as if you were running through that tube amp. You'll miss the tubes pummeling the speakers, the certian "oomph" that only comes from a tube power section, etc. The sound is there, but the overall feel is not. The only way to nail that down is to turn off your power amp SAG control, yank the cab sim out of your chain, and then pump your signal through an actual tube power amp.

This is not to be confused with the preamp emulations. They do indeed feel like you're playing through the real deal. But, they're not reliant on power, it's just the signals and series of algorithms passing through to the power amp, much like the actual preamps they emulate. So, you're not missing much if it's modeled in great detail. But, you try to get the same feel and response of an actual tube power amp out of a power amp model into a solid state power amp, and you'll fall short. Like I said, the sound is there but the feel is not.

That's the reaosn to use a high end tube power amp with your Axe-Fx. If you just care about it sounding accurate and don't care if it feels and reacts exactly the same, more power to you, you've got a cheaper route to take. for me, I prefer a more authentic feel and like that nut-shaking rumble of my cab behind me and that gradual tube break up and feel you only get form the real deal.
Unread 11-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #36
Is a Pastafarian

Yup that's exactly it. The Axe FX power amp sim is really good, best I've heard, but it is still not perfect. The Axe into the Engl rules way, way harder than the Axe direct does... and with a SS amp, or FRFR, all you are doing is making that direct signal louder, so it wouldn't get any better really.

Unread 11-18-2008, 11:11 PM   #37
ss.org Regular

Jack2529 is on a distinguished road
Now,I'm interesting Axe-Fx.
MIDI preset Seen to be enough. Voodoo Lab GCX seen don't need.
Just Have Ground Control Pro Would Be Perfect. With Furman To Collect All Of Power supply.

Here The Question.
Now I Have Ground Control Pro to gig.
I Want To Hard Spent,So I Plan TO Vht 2902 2/90/2 [This's seen necessary Or Just Grab Vht2502 2/50/2] I Need One Upgrade For Poweramp

Furman Merit Or else What type To gigs all of I Need 1.Axe-Fx 2. poweramp VHT

3 Things, 1.Axe-Fx 2. poweramp VHT 3. Furman and Ground Control Pro[One I Have]

All Seen enough Or U guys Suggest MOre That I through.

Sorry For Language.

Thx
Unread 11-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #38
ss.org Regular

whitewalls1222 is on a distinguished road
sorry for the noobish question.. but is it possible to just run the axe fx through another amps effects loop or something and just use it as a power amp for the axe fx.. if so how would that would exactly? im considering trying this thing out but i wont have the $ for a power amp for a while if i do get one
Unread 11-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #39
ss.org Regular

nateb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewalls1222 View Post
sorry for the noobish question.. but is it possible to just run the axe fx through another amps effects loop or something and just use it as a power amp for the axe fx.. if so how would that would exactly? im considering trying this thing out but i wont have the $ for a power amp for a while if i do get one
Yes, just use the left output, set it up for mono operation and turn off the power and cab sims.
Unread 11-18-2010, 10:31 PM   #40
Pardon my french

Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
-Some people already own a cab they like
-Some people alreayd own a poweramp
-You're pretty much guaranteed to find a cab at any venue you play in. Small bands often play without PA in small bars etc.
-Matter of preference, some people are so used to hearing a cab onstage using a FRFR setup is disturbing to them.
-some people enjoy *their* cab, not the one modeled in the axe or available from third parties. (someone direct me to a MF 280 impulse if they find it)

All in all it's a matter of using what works best for you. I do for exemple get an awesome live tone out of the axe fx but can't for the life of me pinpoint what's wrong with my direct recording tones for now, if I had to do a recording *now* I'd use the axe+2:50+cab ->mike way. Sound engineering is not on the list of what I've studied takes time, time I do not necessarily have as a 37 year old employee working full time with other hobbies than musing claiming their alloted time on my planning too. ^^
People with the proficiency have done it though, so it's nothing wrong with the fractal.
Unread 11-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #41
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromalia View Post
-Some people already own a cab they like
-Some people alreayd own a poweramp
-You're pretty much guaranteed to find a cab at any venue you play in. Small bands often play without PA in small bars etc.
-Matter of preference, some people are so used to hearing a cab onstage using a FRFR setup is disturbing to them.
-some people enjoy *their* cab, not the one modeled in the axe or available from third parties. (someone direct me to a MF 280 impulse if they find it)

All in all it's a matter of using what works best for you. I do for exemple get an awesome live tone out of the axe fx but can't for the life of me pinpoint what's wrong with my direct recording tones for now, if I had to do a recording *now* I'd use the axe+2:50+cab ->mike way. Sound engineering is not on the list of what I've studied takes time, time I do not necessarily have as a 37 year old employee working full time with other hobbies than musing claiming their alloted time on my planning too. ^^
People with the proficiency have done it though, so it's nothing wrong with the fractal.
You do realize that question was asked 2 years ago, right?

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Closed Thread