homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
SSBRO.org regular

CYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Randall V2

Hey,

Anyone played or playing through a Randall V2? they sound interesting and I was wondering what anyone thought.
CYBERSYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

thedownside is a name known to allthedownside is a name known to allthedownside is a name known to allthedownside is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the oher guitar player in my band (spinedriver on here) has a t2 and it sounds amazing! massive low end for days. he'll likely pop on here and give you his take on it.
thedownside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2008, 09:27 PM   #3
Rivethead Magnate.

Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.
Hey dude, im using a VMAX at the moment, its the forerunner of the V2 (the actuall forerunner, same features etc.. the V2 is slightly louder and has an extra tube i believe ), and its killer. I would definately recommend trying one though, as 'the Randall sound' is pretty particular, so i def. think you'll either love it or absolutely hate it. Good features though, one thing i will say however: no footswitchable FX bypass. Kinda sucks. Other than that, its a great amp, especially for the price

Also: loud. And for gods sake fiddle with the 6 band EQ, it does absolute wonders for the sound. I think it makes it sound a little less raw and open than usual though, puts slightly more of a compressed sound onto the amp.

Good luck!
Daemoniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
SSBRO.org regular

CYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to behold
How is the noise? I have a 6505+ and that's one noisy bitch. I use a NS-2 with it but have to crank the thresh. So a little noise is expecting from the Randall. Do you have a Randall cab with the mic eliminator? if so hows that?
Unread 10-08-2008, 01:22 AM   #5
Rivethead Magnate.

Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.
I do have a Randall cab, however im using the Warhead, not the XL cabinet. It does have the mic eliminators, however ive yet to actually use them. Noise-wise, its pretty good from my experience so far, i mean, it still hums a bit when you have it up loud (im talking about half way, which is enough to shake the earth...) but its not screechy at all unless you're facing the pickups into the amp. It would still pay to have a noise supressor i think if you plan on turning it up that loud, but honestly i think its good to have one no matter the amp.

Seriously though, with the features and whatnot of the randall, its a fair steal. I dont have too much experience with all tube amps, so i may not be the best to comment on its response etc.. though i do feel like it is excellent. And so far as features go it does give you a lot of versatility, and a really interesting signature sound.

My only concern is if you havent heard one, if you are currently using a Peavey, i dont think it sounds even remotely similar... good if you are looking for something different, but yeah, just a heads up. Finally, if you downtune, it has a pretty massive bass response... seriously huge. If you can find a 2x15 to put it through, it just gets better it also loves thicker strings, real nice grind to it.

Hope it helps man
Unread 10-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #6
SSBRO.org regular

Thanks heaps man...

I will be trying one this weekend. The shop said they will do a straight swap.

If it sounds anything like Christians from FF tone...I'm sold.
Unread 10-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
Rivethead Magnate.

Make sure you get to crank it Its similar to the FF tone, not identical as i believe he uses a T2. The V2 is far far more versatile, better IMO. The 6 band EQ makes a huge difference, make sure you fiddle!!

neways, lemme know how it goes
Unread 10-08-2008, 10:37 PM   #8
Whitechapel

Doomcreeper is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoniac View Post
Make sure you get to crank it Its similar to the FF tone, not identical as i believe he uses a T2. The V2 is far far more versatile, better IMO. The 6 band EQ makes a huge difference, make sure you fiddle!!

neways, lemme know how it goes
My old teacher plays one and it sounds wicked but he says the 6 band eq makes a world of difference between the v2 and t2 as well.
Doomcreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2008, 02:17 AM   #9
Rivethead Magnate.

Yeah, it really does. Like i said before, the difference between using the EQ and not is the difference between like a sort of Krank-like (kind of) dry-ness (think Arch Enemy - Heart Of Darkness) and a really saturated, grinding awesomeness (think more FF or even some of Disturbed's early tracks - The Sickness)

I have to admit, id love a T2, but its a hard call, and i would never replace my VMAX, other than with a V2 or V2 Ninja.. they have the option of series OR parallel FX routing... mine doesnt :'(.
Unread 10-09-2008, 03:12 AM   #10
plays in 69/42

Thrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud of
i have too mates that own the T2, the T2 is a better amp imo. ive played both for a few hours, but the T2 just has more balls i think. plus its cheaper because it doesnt have that built in eq thing and a (imo worthless) solid state channel.
try the T2, i think you will like it, its a great metal amp, but also pretty versatile

...Each guitarist has an evil fat 40 year old blueswankler trying to get out, If you give in to temptation you'll be sitting next to a fender playing john lee hooker while trying to keep your combover in place.

-Desecrated

being black and enjoying watermelon, i think this thread needs more watermelon.
budda
Thrashmanzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #11

Spinedriver is just really niceSpinedriver is just really nice
Firstly, I'd have to say that I was never a huge fan of the 'Randall sound' but the tubes in this version make a WORLD of difference. The T2 has basically 3 'channels', there's clean, od and a 'boost'. I think the biggest factor though is that there's a 12AT7 tube in the mosfet power circuit to give it that low end 'wump' that most ss heads are missing. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't replicate it with my Pod XTL.

As far as the tone goes, it's fairly easy to dial in and I don't think that the graphic eq that's on the V2 is absolutely necessary. I had an MXR 10 band eq pedal in the loop (it can be switched between serial & parallel and can be turned on or off with the midi footswitch) and I ended up taking it out. However I did leave a BBE Sonic Stomp in the loop just because I like my tone more 'up front' (if that makes any sense ). Overall, the amp blends so well with my bandmate's Dual Rectifier it's eerie. As a matter of fact, the boost channel works so well, I've even stopped using the TS-7 I was using with the Pod because it sounds exactly the same.

All I can say is that if you like really heavy low end djenting riffs and don't want or can't afford a Mesa/Engl/5150/etc... I don't think you'll be disappointed. Worst thing that can happen is that you try the amp out and end up not liking it, so I highly recommend trying it out because like I said before, I went into the store not really caring for Randall stuff in the past but I was looking for a good 'high end' ss amp (not wanting to deal with all of the hassles that come with all tube heads), so I gave it a shot and was not disappointed in any way.
Spinedriver is offline   Reply With Quote