homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #101
Sir Groove-A-Lot

Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yeah exactly! Which is very odd, because since i've got into impulses i refuse to use anything but the Mesa 4x12 i have. Just a shame the A.I.R Mesa isn't the same.

"The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education or of a lack of verbal interest is just a ....ing lunatic" - Stephen Fry

Recording. Mixing. Mastering. ReAmping. Editing
Mattayus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #102
Sir Groove-A-Lot

Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemonic View Post
Stomp:
Boost+EQ
Gain: 84%
Bass: 43%
Treble: 67%
Mid: 77%
Mid Freq.: 50%
Sorry to bump this, but I think we should keep it afloat anyway.

I'm just wondering... wtf is the Boost+EQ? (I don't have the FX Junkie pack!) I know what it is, but how does it effect the sound exactly? Also, can you have it on at the same time as the tubescreamer? Seeing as it's a stomp and all...

"The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education or of a lack of verbal interest is just a ....ing lunatic" - Stephen Fry

Unread 12-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #103
Custom User Title

mnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to all
naw, can't have it on at the same time as the tubescreamer.

i usually set it so it acts kinda like a tubescreamer (cutting a bit of bottom and boosting highs and mids) but personally i can't stand the screamer model on the pod, kinda sounds like a half-open wah to me. i guess its more transparent than the tubescreamer, can add gain and tighten up an amp (plus its got an eq on it which is cool, so you have more control, so if you're using a dark amp you can boost treble infront of it)

its not as tight of a stomp as the screamer is though. i've found the screamer can make a really loose amp seem pretty tight, the boost+eq doesn't quite do that aswell. but i use it with the big bottom amp which is already a fairly tight amp so it works out.
mnemonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 03:54 AM   #104
stay tuned

damigu is just really nicedamigu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you know what helps reduce some fizz?

on the EQ, turn the treble level all the way down, then turn the treble frequency to the max value.
damigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 04:06 AM   #105
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by damigu View Post
you know what helps reduce some fizz?

on the EQ, turn the treble level all the way down, then turn the treble frequency to the max value.
i find pulling it ALL the way down is a little too much reduction myself, but the general idea works very well indeed

Mattayus, the EQ+Boost thingy is simply a boost pedal with a treble knob, a bass knob, a mid knob, a mid frequency sweep knob, and a gain knob. simple as that. it´s the most effective boost stomp model on the whole pod, with the screamer doing basically the same thing, but alot more "closed"-sounding. the screamer sounds really weak in comparison, if you´re using it for modern metal tones. if you´re going for leads or more old-school metal stuff though, it sounds ace

the boost+eq stomp model is really open and natural-sounding, and makes for good djentyness, as well as good tightness/chugginess

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 04:13 AM   #106
I LIKE JUICE!!!

TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Lately I've had great results running a real OD in front of the POD and then adding the Boost+EQ stomp in. Actually, it worked really well on my Recto patch and made very little difference on my VH4 patch.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
TomAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 04:14 AM   #107
stay tuned

i like to turn it ALL the way down. it seems extra, but because the highest and lowest are actually shelf EQ, this means that the highest frequencies (where the fizz lives) is cut down no matter what else you do in rest of the signal path.

i then bring back the treble sounds that i do like by turning up the treble/presence on the amp more than usual.
Unread 12-03-2008, 05:14 AM   #108
Sir Groove-A-Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemonic View Post
naw, can't have it on at the same time as the tubescreamer.

i usually set it so it acts kinda like a tubescreamer (cutting a bit of bottom and boosting highs and mids) but personally i can't stand the screamer model on the pod, kinda sounds like a half-open wah to me. i guess its more transparent than the tubescreamer, can add gain and tighten up an amp (plus its got an eq on it which is cool, so you have more control, so if you're using a dark amp you can boost treble infront of it)

its not as tight of a stomp as the screamer is though. i've found the screamer can make a really loose amp seem pretty tight, the boost+eq doesn't quite do that aswell. but i use it with the big bottom amp which is already a fairly tight amp so it works out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post
i find pulling it ALL the way down is a little too much reduction myself, but the general idea works very well indeed

Mattayus, the EQ+Boost thingy is simply a boost pedal with a treble knob, a bass knob, a mid knob, a mid frequency sweep knob, and a gain knob. simple as that. it´s the most effective boost stomp model on the whole pod, with the screamer doing basically the same thing, but alot more "closed"-sounding. the screamer sounds really weak in comparison, if you´re using it for modern metal tones. if you´re going for leads or more old-school metal stuff though, it sounds ace

the boost+eq stomp model is really open and natural-sounding, and makes for good djentyness, as well as good tightness/chugginess
So basically it's like a tubescreamer, but less compressed? And more dynamic in that you can play with the frequencies etc... Sounds awesome, I think when I get the xtpro next week i'm gonna have to invest in the fx junkie!

Unread 12-03-2008, 06:40 AM   #109
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light
Last week I bought the model packs for myself as probably the only decent Xmas gift I'll receive.

*us guitarists are impossible to buy gifts for... everything is called the Turbo 2.7 Deluxe and whatnot these days*

I bought the Metal pack and the FX Junkie...

The process was easy enough (credit card/download/move a .AET file/authentic software/update GearBox if you want).

I found that really, all I use are perhaps a handful of patches and then tweak for the purpose.

It didn't help me get more realistic tones, although it does feel nice to know I have their emulations of some cool gear.

I own a Boogie Dual Rec and Rec 4x12, also I'm familiar with many of the hi gain amps included, especially the JCM 800 and Cornford models.

The 'Boogie patches are not like the real amp, although the model in the Metal Shop is better than the older one. It is %100 to do with the cabinet emulation, in my opinion. The 'Boogie cab with Vintage 30's, in real life, owns... I have never used a better sounding cab. That isn't to say there isn't better ones around, but the Mesa cab is very good.

The Mesa cabinet emulation just sucks... I've ended up using waves C4 compressor (multiband) to destroy the high end, Waves EQ to tast and finally a touch of Waves Rverb. All on double tracked Recto/5150/Bogner/JCM800 takes, with tasty guitars.

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that post processing is the key to getting professional tones out the POD range. Not that I think it's bad, I just know it can be better... somehow!
Ryan-ZenGtr- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #110
Derp.

Methilde is a name known to allMethilde is a name known to allMethilde is a name known to allMethilde is a name known to all
Can someone please give me tips on how to get tight good riffing sounds from a pocket pod? Or should I buy the Pod X3 instead to obtain those. I don't have a cabinet and I record everything directly on the line- in using Cubase.

Please guys help me out, everyone says that my guitar sounds suck monkeyballs
Methilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #111
Sir Groove-A-Lot

You're much better off getting either the XT or the X3 (I think XT personally, X3 seems unnecessarily complicated )

Do it!

Unread 12-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #112
Derp.

Methilde is a name known to allMethilde is a name known to allMethilde is a name known to allMethilde is a name known to all
Teehee, there is a price difference but is there also a difference in sound?
Unread 12-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #113
Sir Groove-A-Lot

The X3 comes with all the model packs as standard, where-as you have to buy them with the XT, but the only thing the X3 can actually do that's different from the XT is the 'dual tone' thing, where you can run two patches at the same time to make different sounds etc. Personally I don't think I'd ever use that feature and think it's a bit gimmicky, but hey, it's up to you!

Unread 12-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #114
ss.org Regular

budule has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methilde View Post
Can someone please give me tips on how to get tight good riffing sounds from a pocket pod? Or should I buy the Pod X3 instead to obtain those. I don't have a cabinet and I record everything directly on the line- in using Cubase.

Please guys help me out, everyone says that my guitar sounds suck monkeyballs
Hi, If you're using a pocket POd try this (I've got one, a pod pro and a xt live) :

- amp model "insane" drive at 63 %, low at 60%, mid at 28 %, high at 80 %, cab sim on 4x12 brit hi gain (V30 sim cab)

- drive "on", eq "on".

with this preset ( strictly the same on my pocket and my pro) , I use an old half rack graphic eq boss :

- 500 Hz >>> -1 Db
- 1 Khz >>> -1,5 Db
- 2 Khz >>> +1,5 Db
- 4 Khz >>> +2Db
- 8 Khz >>> +0,5 Db

Then I use a parametric Eq beetween 1Khz and 8khz to get more precision in the settings and to cut the fizz.

And there's a Dimebag setting from reinventing the steel!!!

For the CFH sound, just change the cab sim to 4x12 Line 6.

In conclusion, using both of them, my preference goes to the POD 2.0 (or pocket or pro), because the insane amp sim is better than the xt one ; unfortunately, the 2.0 has'nt got enough cab sim and mic sim (the xt is better for this)
budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #115
Derp.

Thanks I could, however only do the first step since I don't have the other means with the EQ ing. I can only add those after recording in cubase
Unread 12-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #116
stay tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
The X3 comes with all the model packs as standard, where-as you have to buy them with the XT, but the only thing the X3 can actually do that's different from the XT is the 'dual tone' thing, where you can run two patches at the same time to make different sounds etc. Personally I don't think I'd ever use that feature and think it's a bit gimmicky, but hey, it's up to you!
the dual-tone isn't a gimmick at all. a great deal of professional recordings are done using multiple amps/cabs, often times with the same 1 track re-amped through them, or else with both cabs recorded simultaneously with a single mic between them. this allows the exploitation of the strengths of different amps to cover the weaknesses in any 1 amp. with the dual-tone, i can do that without extra steps or having to re-amp anything.

i like to use the treadplate 2001 (mesa boogie) for its treble and bass, and the diety's son (diezel herbert) for its midrange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methilde View Post
Thanks I could, however only do the first step since I don't have the other means with the EQ ing. I can only add those after recording in cubase
there's a software program you can download from line6's website that'll allow you access to those settings via your PC.
http://www.line6.com/software/
Unread 12-03-2008, 09:29 PM   #117
Custom User Title

mnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to all
i dunno if anyone else has done this but i thought i'd share.

while i was on a break from studying i turned the treble down to 0 on one of my big bottom amp patches, and it sounds a bit darker, but alot less fizzy. its also middier and a bit louder. the last part has me a bit confused, but i'm not complaining. when i turn the treble up, it sounds scooped and fizzy in comparison.

i'll have to save the patch and try it tomorrow to see if it still sounds good, haha
mnemonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 04:53 AM   #118
Sir Groove-A-Lot

haha man, i've literally spent DAYS doing that sorta shit before. It's odd isn't it... the treble is horrible on the big bottom, as is the presence. I never put my presence over 50% anymore because it just gives it too much slap. That allows you put to the treble quite high though, but still never over 70%.

Anyway, yes, i tried what you did and it's peculiar isn't it.. As you turn it down, obviously it gets darker, darker, darker, muffled, horrible, you go to 1 and think "eugh"... then when it hits zero it sorta pops back out again! And you're like WTF! It's very strange.

Unread 12-04-2008, 05:04 AM   #119
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
Gimmicky?

You're nuts... you can come up with some awesome stuff with the dual tone feature... besides unique amp blends, you can get some killer stereo clean ambiance, biamped bass tones, and fuller leads than don't just sound "down the middle of the mix"... I could see how it wouldn't intrigue one if you're strictly a multi-tracking rhythm player (which there seems to be a large number of on here ), but I find the dual-channel configuration of my X3 Pro to be a godsend, particularly with respect to my true-stereo gear, like my Boss Slicer... and can't wait to get a Harmony Man, to throw different harmonies (differently amp'd & effected) on each side of the sound field. Though, a word of warning, if you want all to killer routing options, you need to get the Pro rackmount.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 05:25 AM   #120
stay tuned

is it just me, or does the FX loop on the POD X3 (and presumably the XT, also) really *REALLY* suck?

i don't know if it's the extra digital->analog and analog->digital conversion that's necessary for it, but if i turn it on, it just makes the tone sound completely dead. even if i use a straight cable to connect the output to the input it kills the tone (in a typical FX loop, that trick wouldn't affect the sound).
Unread 12-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #121
Sir Groove-A-Lot

Haha ok ok i stand corrected, i'm sure it's apt for certain things and comes in real handy but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variant View Post
I could see how it wouldn't intrigue one if you're strictly a multi-tracking rhythm player (which there seems to be a large number of on here )
... what the .... is that supposed to mean? "Goddam you kids and your industry-standard technique of recording metal"... right?

Unread 12-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #122
Derp.

Aaight, so the pod XT will be it. (cheapy second hand found on the interwebz) I guess the patches that should be bought are downloadable somewhere (yes I'm an evil poor student musician)

Will keep you updated on sketches and other messy creations by yours truly :P

Cheers!

Beer.
Unread 12-04-2008, 03:29 PM   #123
Sir Groove-A-Lot

Yeah you get them from the line 6 website. They only take credit card though, ....ers!

Unread 12-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #124
Derp.

I don't have a creditcard. I'm European
Unread 12-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #125
Sir Groove-A-Lot

So am I so neither did I had to borrow my dads and give him the cash