homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #301
ss.org Regular

silverthesky is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how many people here are using DI boxes? ive never tryed this yet would be nice to hear what the word is on that.
silverthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-09-2009, 02:56 AM   #302
Sir Groove-A-Lot

Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemonic View Post
i usually do that with the big bottom amp (or keep the treble low, like between 20% and 30%, but lately i've gained a fancy for the 5150 model. which is strange cos i've always thought it was shit before. i love finding a certain combo of settings that just sounds great.
Check out my 5150 patch man, might be a place to start

Sevenstring.org - Patch Library - Mattayus' 5150 Patch

If you want it to have more "grit" then change the mic to on axis. It works well with a blend of on axis on the right, off axis on the left.

"The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education or of a lack of verbal interest is just a ....ing lunatic" - Stephen Fry

Recording. Mixing. Mastering. ReAmping. Editing
Mattayus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #303
The Decepticon

Triple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Seeing as how I have a Pod Studio ux2 instead of a Pod X3 or XT, can I still get these patches? I actually still have to download the FX Junkie, and Metal Shop packs.

For some sweet progressive/grunge/metal, check out my band:
www.facebook.com/wearenihilistcrane

Our debut ep will be available April 1st!

For all my solo stuff:
https://soundcloud.com/brianharrigan
Triple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #304
ss.org Regular

silverthesky is on a distinguished road
the fx junkie comes with the ux. or it dose now.

dose anybody know how much it is for an upgrade to platinum? cos i know u can up grade instead of out right buying the whole package
silverthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #305
SS.org Regular

satchfrk will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Oh my god I think I've finally learnt the trick to dialing in good high gain patches on the POD X3. And the thing that made all the difference to this process is me buying studio monitors. I got a pair of Yamaha HS50's and LOVE them

I can upload the patches I made this weekend if someone is interested.
Cheers.
satchfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #306
The Prog Metal Whore

feeleuphoria is a jewel in the rough
I'm interested! always looking for new tones
feeleuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #307
SS.org Regular

satchfrk will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

There you go!
satchfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #308
Sir Groove-A-Lot

Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.
Does anybody know how to wipe the pod xt? I've sold mine, want to restore it to factory setting for the new owner, not sure how to do it

"The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education or of a lack of verbal interest is just a ....ing lunatic" - Stephen Fry

Unread 09-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #309
Sir Groove-A-Lot

Nevermind, done it!

Unread 09-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #310
The Prog Metal Whore

feeleuphoria is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchfrk View Post
thanks man, they sound good!
feeleuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #311
SS.org Regular

Sliggy is just really niceSliggy is just really nice
hey dudes. does anyone here use the pod in conjunction with a presonus firepod? if so, what settings are your levels at? atm my output on pod is at 12:00, channels 1 and 2 (where my pod is plugged in) on the firepod are at about 10:00 and the main output on my firepod is at about 2:00. it must be the wrong way to do it though because my shit starts clipping long before it gets to the volume of.. say bulb recordings.

anyone care to share their settings volume/amp wise?
Sliggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #312
Custom User Title

mnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to all
bulb uses alot of compression to get his mixes as loud as they are (very loud) so you'll need some tricky compression work to get them that loud without clipping/pumping/generally sounding bad.
mnemonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 02:43 AM   #313
SS.org Regular

i see, thanks
Unread 09-27-2009, 02:56 AM   #314
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
One thing about the uber compression, it can work well with some styles of music, but if play stuff with more dynamics (variations in volume) then don't use that much limiting.
There is still plenty of professional recordings not even as loud as Bulb's stuff, so I wouldn't worry so much if I couldn't get to that volume without clipping.
I seriously doubt anyone is going to say "Oh man, this isn't mastered loud enough" about your music
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #315
SS.org Regular

haha yeah I wasn't overly concerned about that, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't poor optimization or anything like that, but just an everyday occurrence.

+ bulb is king so I can't feel too bad about my mixes not being of his quality yet
Unread 09-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #316
Hammer of the Gods

shanejohnson02 is just really niceshanejohnson02 is just really nice
Here's my personal POD X3 Pro setup:

I use the Diezel Herbert model through the Mesa 4x12 cab model. To my ears, that amp gets the best mix between harmonic richness and low-end thunk. I add a *slight* bit of room reverb at the POD to make it sound less artificial, and to let the sound breathe a little.

Until recently, I copied the same settings to Tone 1 and Tone 2, and panned the outputs hard L/R. To separate it in stereo, I would use a 57 on-axis on the L channel and a 57 off-axis on the R. That worked fairly well for most things. If I wanted it even fatter, I would double-track the guitars and swap the L/R tracks on the second take.

These days, I like a much less "cluttered" sound. I simply record a single take, panned straight up the center. If I want the guitar to be "stereo-ized", I simply copy the track, pan them hard L/R, and apply between 5 and 10ms of delay (depending on how wide I want it) to the R track. For lead sounds, I do the same thing but use a stereo track (since I'm a fan of stereo delays). It still sounds mono-esque until you apply the 5-10ms though.

I just recently got into re-amping. Now I basically repeat the process above, except instead of copy-pasting the original track, I re-amp it. The original track is hard L and the re-amped is hard R with a 5-10ms delay. This creates less phasing problems and gets an overall thicker sound.

The final secret I use to recording the POD is to get away from the USB setup as soon as possible. A lot of the "fizz" I've found comes from using the USB outputs. When I run the POD into a proper interface (M-Audio Delta 1010 in my case) it sounds leaps and bounds better.

To record bass, I use the Big 360 setting through a 1x15 cab. Bass for me is *always* mono, straight up the middle.

Now if only I could get my vocals to sound decent...
shanejohnson02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #317
The Decepticon

Triple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
When you say pan hard L/R, does that mean all the way to the left and all the way to the right?

For some sweet progressive/grunge/metal, check out my band:
www.facebook.com/wearenihilistcrane

Our debut ep will be available April 1st!

For all my solo stuff:
https://soundcloud.com/brianharrigan
Triple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #318
Hammer of the Gods

shanejohnson02 is just really niceshanejohnson02 is just really nice
Yep. I know most pros frown on hard L/R pans, but I love the way they sound. At the minimum, I'll do a 60% L/R spread when I want stereo sounds.
shanejohnson02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 01:56 AM   #319
SS.org Regular

alex103188 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
most frown upon it? Interesting. I'm self taught in the whole recording thing but I learned very quickly that the guitars sit best in the mix when panned hard to allow the drums come up the center.
alex103188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #320
stay tuned

damigu is just really nicedamigu is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex103188 View Post
most frown upon it? Interesting. I'm self taught in the whole recording thing but I learned very quickly that the guitars sit best in the mix when panned hard to allow the drums come up the center.
pro recordings generally don't have anything panned hard in any direction.

but everyone self-taught pans hard because it's the easiest way to make more "central channel" type things (drums, bass, lead guitar work) be more present.

a good general rule to work with is that everything in your mix should be present and sound decent regardless of what is panned where. if you can achieve that, then you won't have to rely on tricks (like hard panning) just to make things listenable.
damigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #321
ss.org Regular

VettaUser is on a distinguished road
What IS the usual "professional" panning technique? Guitars 80/80?
VettaUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #322
Custom User Title

mnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to all
i used to go 80/80 back when i first started recording, but it sounds way more open and bigger if i go 100/100. only downside i see is that i have to play tighter, because discrepancies between tracks is more noticeable when panning hard, but thats not really bad anyway, cos it just forces you to be better at playing.
mnemonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #323
ss.org Regular

machinica_band is on a distinguished road
I was wondering, what is a better way to hook up the Toneport UX8. I have it hooked up USB right now but would it perform/sound better hooked up through S/PDIF?
machinica_band is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #324
stay tuned

damigu is just really nicedamigu is just really nice
the sound on the USB bus and the SPDIF should be identical. both are digitally transmitted.

you'll have a higher latency on the USB than the SPDIF because the USB connection itself has additional latency beyond just the miniscule processing latency. that's the only real difference as far as recording/sounding goes.
damigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #325
ss.org Regular

machinica_band is on a distinguished road
thanx. It shouldn't really make to much of a difference then when I set it up.
machinica_band is offline   Reply With Quote