homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-18-2009, 05:50 AM   #251
SS.org Regular

Omrat is a glorious beacon of lightOmrat is a glorious beacon of lightOmrat is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I'v been allways using a Copressor and a booster ( screamer ) on my distorted rhythm patches.
Now when I have discovered a Boost + EQ stomp, there is one question:
Is there any point of useing Comp and Boost + EQ together ?
Omrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #252
ERG Drummer!

MerlinTKD is a name known to allMerlinTKD is a name known to allMerlinTKD is a name known to allMerlinTKD is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You meant the stock compressor that goes at the end of the chain? Yeah, it makes a difference, depending on how you have it set. The question is, do you need it for your sound? You can turn it off without removing it from the chain, so go back and forth, see what you think. Play with the settings, too, see if there's anything there that makes it sound better to you. If not, yank it out!

Of course, the Boost+EQ does something very different than the Compressor... it's a clean gain boost (plus EQ ), whereas the compressor is, well, compressing and evening out the signal. True, it has a signal boost as well, but that's mainly to compensate for a overall reduction in volume you can get as you turn up the compression.
MerlinTKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 12:53 AM   #253
SS.org Regular

Omrat is a glorious beacon of lightOmrat is a glorious beacon of lightOmrat is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks MerlinTKD !
Unread 05-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #254
ERG Drummer!

MerlinTKD is a name known to allMerlinTKD is a name known to allMerlinTKD is a name known to allMerlinTKD is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFlyingSquirrel View Post
I've used the 2 amps at once on some recordings recently, and rather that posting them to a stereo track in Sonor, I'll post them on individual tracks, pan 1 hard left, the other about 50% left, then repeat the process on the other side, but a copied preset with just a hint of chorus, slow on the speed, a lil over mid-way in depth, and only have it on one of the dual amps in the preset. When I place the chorused signal on the track that's about 50% to the right, it adds a wider spectrum to the overall guitar mix. I drop the Hard signals just a lil' lower in the mix than the 50% tracks, and all of a sudden, the stereo image comes alive, but doesn't distract, and the Bass has a very distinctive identity in the mix, very solid, tucked in with the kicks and toms quite nicely. The rhythm tracks sound wide, yet dynamic, with the bass centering nicely.

Only two recorded performances, 4 tracks recorded & well placed & mixed, priceless results.

I've started working with this idea, Tony, and it freaking ROCKS!

Took me a bit to figure out how to do it in Reaper - PodFarm's outs are 1/2 and 3/4, so I had to set the ins (the Send) for the tracks to 1 and 3, and voila, priceless results, as you say! So far I've only done one performance/two tracks for the guitar, need to play with the amps, etc, and find a good compliment to the modified Bulb patch I'm using, see how that all goes. I really like how I've got two tracks and it's not cluttered at all, but sounds better than just copy/pasting a track and panning it.

I also did this with my bass track and I love how it sounds! I'm already using a dual-amped tone, the same amp on both but one dirty and effected, the other clean - it really cleaned up the tone and sounds almost perfect.

If you haven't tried this, folks, DO IT!
Unread 05-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #255
shake and bake!

ryzorzen is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thats a pretty wicked idea, definitely going to try that suggestion
ryzorzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #256
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
i've written this somewhere earlier, but i'll repeat it since people seem to be asking about dual amps:

i find the dual amps awesome for making a layered sound, like having a delay that sounds different from the dry sound, making a flanged reverb, etc.

but for actual dual tone settings, i have found a specific cabinet combo that works:

T75 cab with sm57 mic, paired with Treadplate cab with 421 mic. trust me, it works like a charm! you have to tame the low end on it, but it'll sound thick and heavy

i discovered this while using identical settings and only changing the cabs/mics, but it might work if you change amps too. not too sure about that.

as for two different amps and stuff, i've only done that with stereo settings (one amp per side) and using one amp for the dry tone and on for the delayed tone (delay set to 100% wet).

dual amp settings can be used in many interesting ways i guess, but it depends entirely on which tone types you use.

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 10:53 PM   #257
ERG Drummer!

Mmm, I'll try that tomorrow night!
Unread 05-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #258
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
...well?

i wanna see what you people can do with that little cab combo trick, i was shocked by it's awesomeness when i found out myself! :P

and thanks for the rep! i gotta remember to actually check out my rep every once in a while, and the whole concept is so loose in my head that i don't even remember to rep others :P

What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
Unread 06-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #259
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Just curious, is anyone here using the ASIO X3 Live driver for recording?
I can't get a latency lower than 10.9ms with that driver because the buffer size wont go lower than 128 samples, so I've had to resort to using ASIO4All which allows under 5ms of latency but I'm no longer able to set my bit rate so I have no idea what bit rate I'm using now. I can set my sampling rate though.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #260
stay tuned

damigu is just really nicedamigu is just really nice
on my system, the WDM drivers get better performance.

i just use whichever drivers give better performance--i'm not married to WDM or ASIO.
damigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 06:05 AM   #261
SS.org Regular

Can someone explain me, how to record a dry guitartrack in Cubase SX via Pod X3 Live ? I just want to try PodFarm, but I need dry track for that.
Unread 06-02-2009, 06:16 AM   #262
ss.org Regular

Fikealox is a jewel in the rough
I'm no expert, buy maybe try turning off the amp block and all effects and make sure your output is selected to direct (or is studio the correct one? I get them mixed up). In essence, make a dry channel. I might be way off the mark though, dude.
Fikealox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2009, 06:39 AM   #263
ss.org Regular

johnf is on a distinguished road
I hope these settings help you with recording processor, effect pedal etc. I used POD 2.0 went directly into computer which has onboard sound chip ALC850. Line-in input has 24 bit 96 KHz, its not as good as a professional audio recording device and doesn't have low latency but does the job.

The key of the sound you will hear in my short sound clip is the CAB Simulator (I'm sure it has been discussed many times under this thread). I added just a little eq and tubedriver adds a little tube like sound (or I imagine like that :P). Nothing new actually. All these plugins are FREE (afaik).

Btw, there are four guitar channels and a bass guitar channel. It's not actually a bass gitar . I have Cort X6 guitar with EMG 81-85 active pickup set loaded. So, the middle single coil pickup sounds so dark that i used it to imitate bass guitar sound . Finally, drum sounds are made by EZdrummer.

I'm posting the screenshot of the recording software to show how the settings look like and the sound clip to give some idea. I think it sounds pretty good .

last2.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
johnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 01:44 PM   #264
Custom User Title

mnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
wow, i just switched to the line6 412 cab, and started using the dual tone feature (combining my big bottom patch with the chunk chunk model to add some mids and thickness to it) and after some creative eqing to get rid of the added fizz from the line6 412 cab model, it sounds waaaaay thicker and more real.

helps to experiment!
mnemonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #265
Set up us the bomb

i have to get away from my amp/cab sim prejudice

i tend to only use the big bottom or the uberschall one, and i donīt tend to use anything but the t75 cab sim. i used the v30 one in the beginning, but itīs got way too sharp a voicing for my taste. itīs hard to just try things without pre-judging them :P

i really like the solo 100 amp model for lead stuff, the piezo 2 preamp thingy for cleans, and the uberschall or big bottom (mostly big bottom) for rhythm stuff.

iīve also had a thing for the vox, marshall, and orange amp models for rock/funk type stuff with my strat. works great

i made a really thick tone once by using a fuzz (the one that isnīt a big muff simulation), with just enough drive to add a teeny bit of dirt, and then i used one of the retifier simulations, and set the tone setting on the fuzz to suit. the actual distortion came from the volume knob of the fuzz, and the gain knob on the amp model. it ends up sounding kinda like a mix between slipknotīs tone on the iowa record (whoever is on the right-hand channel), and kornīs tone on life is peachy. i used the t75 cab for that, with the off-axis mic setting. i recorded a test clip: SoundClick artist: MF Kitten - groovy, heavy, athmospheric, moody, ambient

also, the mixing of the cabs i talked about earlier, can be heard here: SoundClick artist: MF Kitten - groovy, heavy, athmospheric, moody, ambient

-Anthony
Unread 06-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #266
Random Swede

Hypothermia is a jewel in the rough
I've recently started to record some guitar thrhough my regular Line 6 floorpod (cheap stuff) into my soundcard and then logic.

I havent been putting down so much work at getting a decent guitar tone but i could really need some help and tip about getting my tone clearer. When you line the pedal through an amp it sounds way more different than it does through logic.

Anyways, here is a short clip i recorded today just with some standard settings at my floorpod, no eq in logic what so ever.
Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

help me
Hypothermia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 03:11 AM   #267
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinTKD View Post
I really like how I've got two tracks and it's not cluttered at all, but sounds better than just copy/pasting a track and panning it.
You can get the same effect, essentially by doing it the way its been done for ages - just play the track a second, third or fourth time. Copying and pasting a track on the opposite side does nothing except making the existing track sound louder, and doesnt create the true effect of two guitars.

If you list your gear in your signature, you're a prick.
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #268
What's a Panini?

eventhetrees is just really niceeventhetrees is just really nice
Quick question.

What's the major difference with the POD X3 and the POD X3 Live. Is the only difference the volume/wah pedal and all the buttons to surf through patches/effects. I don't use the Pod Live I just use it to record. Will I get all the same sounds/recording ability as the POD X3 Live?

Lemme know if I need to rephrase my question.

I'm so excited to use the Dual Tone function.

I love my Pod XT Live. I used to layer tones (which sounds great!) but it's so tedious, cause it takes time to nail one track, then you gotta nail it again, then the 2 aren't perfect and you gotta figure out which ones bad and blah blah. I've just been doing 1 bare guitar track each (L and R) sounds raw a bit bare but it works.

I might be stacking 3-4 tones now using this dual tone (by layering the old way) get some monsterous tones (post rock kinda stuff haha)

I'm not really playing Metal like most people here. My band has metal type bits, but most of the time I just need a mid-gain rock n roll tone that's still very clear yet distorted and powerful. I'm planning on mixing some drastically different amps, like the Orange amp (what is it the ac30 on the pod? haha) and the Big bottom for rythym etc.

BTW, THIS THREAD IS AMAZING. I've been experimenting with EQ'ing and everything on my own for awhile but this thread has helped my approach a lot!

Also someone suggested using the Ampeg 8x10 cab + big bottom and cut the 300hz a quite a bit. I LOVED the sound personally haha.

The Pod X3 Live comes with ALL model packs (even the vintage amps! ?!? ) and it comes with Pod Farm?
eventhetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 02:18 AM   #269
stay tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventhetrees View Post
Quick question.

What's the major difference with the POD X3 and the POD X3 Live. Is the only difference the volume/wah pedal and all the buttons to surf through patches/effects. I don't use the Pod Live I just use it to record. Will I get all the same sounds/recording ability as the POD X3 Live?
the sound engine in all of the POD X3 models (the bean, the live, and the pro) are all identical. the models and software that comes with all of them is identical as well.

what's different between the X3 bean and the X3 live is that the live has more input/output options and has that pedal board.

even if you're not playing live, i recommend the X3 live. for $100 more, the pedal board is a *MAJOR* convenience to have at hand--errr, foot.
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:18 AM   #270
Custom User Title

mnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to all
back freshman year in college when i had an xt live i wished i had a bean, because floorspace was tight, and thaat giant pedalboard took up an asston of deskspace

but yeah, what damigu said

also as far as i know, the x3's dont come with podfarm capabilities (like using podfarm as a vst in your DAW) but you should be able to use podfarm as an editor for the x3 if you want.
Unread 07-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #271
stay tuned

the podfarm VST plugin does work with the X3 series.
podfarm standalone version doesn't work with them, though.
Unread 07-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #272
What's a Panini?

THanks I already have the XT Live and am used to it so I wanna keep it like that haha for the input/output variations etc

I don't want the pod farm as a vst Daw thing. I just want it as an editor like Gearbox does it come with it like that?
Unread 07-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #273
stay tuned

*none* of the POD series (not XT, not X3, etc) work with the standalone podfarm--only as a VST.

if you want to use podfarm as a standalone program, you need one of the other line6 modelers like the UX1 & UX2, or the toneport series or the guitarport.

the X3 series still work just fine with gearbox, though. and podfarm and gearbox are ultimately exactly the same animal--just with different interfaces.
Unread 07-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #274
What's a Panini?

So with selling my current pod I'd be looking at spending about 377 on this new one.

How are the vocal pre amps on it? Usable? Cause if its good for that too then it's worth it I'd think...

Edit:

Found me a Pod X3 for a cheap price. Only costing me 130 (On top of selling my existing pod)

I don't need the live. I just want something on my desk top. I don't use any of the effects on it (Delay mods etc) I just use the tones to record and my pedal board for effects anyways! I just want mah dual tone! haha. I'm so stoked!

Like my current xt live just gets stepped cause its on the floor not cause I need it hahaha.
Unread 07-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #275
Custom User Title

you dont particularly need an x3 to get the dual tone.

i use a toneport DI with the gearbox gold bundle (got the unit and the software for $100 from musiciansfriend, they were clearing them out) and it has all line6 models, and also does dual tone if you use podfarm (which works 100% with the gearbox gold plugin, even the VST)

i think the most cost-effective way of going about it is to get that toneport GX and then buy the metalshop, fx junkie, and classic collectors pack as a 3 pack (because for some reason the model packs are cheaper for toneports than they are for the podXT's). i think that totals like $130 or something, and you'd have all line6 models + dual tone capabilities if you use podfarm as the editor. only downside is the GX unit has limited ins and outs, all it has is the USB plug to plug into the computer, and a headphone jack to plug speakers or whatever into.

a friend of mine has a ux2 and is able to use the dual tone with podfarm too, though the XT's aren't able to use the dual tone feature. my guess is because the XT's process the sound in the unit, and aren't set up to do dual tone, whereas the toneports use the computer's CPU to do the sound processing, and thus its all software so they can do the dual tone thing.