homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-11-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
NUDE MAN!

LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Krank has improved their amps.

This year they updated both the Krankenstein and Rev1 with new transformers and 6550 (KT88) tubes.

I must say I'm curious. I liked the Rev1 to begin with but I REALLY want to try out one of the new ones!

I also heard today from a very reliable source that the new Krankenstein is KILLER! This came from a guy that knows tone, is very experienced, owns SEVERAL great amps, and was a previous Krank hater. He now owns it and it's his new favorite amp.

www.bodenhamer-electronics.com

the official gain merchant of sevenstring.org.
LordOVchaoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
The Dragonrider

WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOVchaoS View Post

I also heard today from a very reliable source that the new Krankenstein is KILLER! This came from a guy that knows tone, is very experienced, owns SEVERAL great amps, and was a previous Krank hater. He now owns it and it's his new favorite amp.
to see if it's the same person i think it might be, is it an HCAF member who also currently owns a Splawn Nitro, Bugera 6260, and just bought a Savage 120? if so, that guy's tastes are a little bit questionable....he COMPLETELY scoops out the mids on his amps and at least used to use a Powerball EQd that way, through a Vader 4x12 and iSP Vector guitar subwoofer
WarriorOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
NUDE MAN!

LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfMetal View Post
to see if it's the same person i think it might be, is it an HCAF member who also currently owns a Splawn Nitro, Bugera 6260, and just bought a Savage 120? if so, that guy's tastes are a little bit questionable....he COMPLETELY scoops out the mids on his amps and at least used to use a Powerball EQd that way, through a Vader 4x12 and iSP Vector guitar subwoofer
that's the guy. magh8. He boosts them all with a Bloody Murder rack so it's ok I've spoken with the guy on the phone and he does know his stuff! I didn't know about all the scooping. Anybody who has two Vader 4x12's is cool in my book

Unread 06-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
SS Contributor

ohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would make the crack that Krank's couldn't have sucked any more than they did, but I digress.

If they can make a killer 6550/kt-88 powered amp it would be cool by me.
ohio_eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
<3's Tsukasa

D-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
they would be better if the prices weren't retarded

əBCAir
D-EJ915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
NUDE MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_eric View Post
I would make the crack that Krank's couldn't have sucked any more than they did, but I digress.

If they can make a killer 6550/kt-88 powered amp it would be cool by me.

I always liked them. The Rev1 is a killer amp when paired with a good cab and a guy that knows how to dial in an amp. The Krank cabs = not good cabs. 50% of people try the amps out with matching cabs in music stores and I can see why they don't like them. Then 40% or so have never tried them but hate them because t3h intarweb said it's the cool thing to do. 10% or so have actually tried them through a good cab and didn't like them. Krank cabs SUCK! The amps kick ass.

Unread 06-11-2008, 09:38 PM   #7
NUDE MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-EJ915 View Post
they would be better if the prices weren't retarded
I never thought their prices were that bad. They're between Peaveys and Mesas in price which I think is right where they should be. They use good parts and their build quality is very impressive. What's to complain about? $1600 isn't shit for a good tube amp.

Unread 06-11-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
Bowes Guitars

canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Question - in all the videos I see of "This Godless Endeavor" either being recorded or in videos, both Loomis and Smyth are using Krank amps. At least they're the only ones plugged into and powered on. Did they get that sick tone on the record with Kranks?

I plan on picking up a head sometime in the next few months and I really can't dig on the Mesa sound. Krank and Peavey were on my shortlists.
canuck brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #9
Medicine Chief/RHLC©

Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I liked the Krank Rev, but never cared for the Krankenstien.

Still not my thing, but it sounded good. I like my amps more raw, which is why I my 5150 II

AHHH MOTHERLAND!

All hail soviet Arktanistan-Groffistan!
Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
The Dragonrider

WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOVchaoS View Post
that's the guy. magh8. He boosts them all with a Bloody Murder rack so it's ok I've spoken with the guy on the phone and he does know his stuff! I didn't know about all the scooping. Anybody who has two Vader 4x12's is cool in my book
yeah, he and his co-guitarist in his band both scoop their mids completely

amazingly, you can still kinda hear what they're doing live
Unread 06-11-2008, 10:59 PM   #11
Chief Officer/RHLC ©

ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
well if they BOTH scoop it then that helps eachothers audibility for sure

im yet to hear a crank sound good in person. ive heard a few clips that sounded decent, but who knows with webclips you know?

if the upgrades included improving them, then they could very well be worth looking into

for the first time in history

Reverse Headstocks or Bust

:chris: ALL HEIL THE ADMINISHREDDER!
ibznorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 11:32 PM   #12
<3's Tsukasa

D-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I saw destroy the runner a while ago, they use kranks and sounded good, the distortion is just a little dry

əBCAir
D-EJ915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 12:19 AM   #13
loves metal

SeanC is a name known to allSeanC is a name known to allSeanC is a name known to allSeanC is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I never understood what all the hate for Krank is about. I tried out the Rev at NAMM a couple years ago and I thought it was pretty sweet. I also saw God Forbid live and they were using Krankensteins and they sounded really awesome, probably even one of the best live guitar tones I've ever heard. Krank wouldn't be my first choice in amp when it comes to what I would want but these upgraded ones sound mighty intriguing.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 12:38 AM   #14
The Dragonrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
I never understood what all the hate for Krank is about. I tried out the Rev at NAMM a couple years ago and I thought it was pretty sweet. I also saw God Forbid live and they were using Krankensteins and they sounded really awesome, probably even one of the best live guitar tones I've ever heard. Krank wouldn't be my first choice in amp when it comes to what I would want but these upgraded ones sound mighty intriguing.
you must have missed out on the way they came on the scene....their original website outright bashed other manufacturers (by name), and was just generally unprofessional. then they went around throwing around endorsement deals to everyone and posting fake shill reviews on HC, had employees on the HC boards as shills, and all this for amps that are too easy to make sound bad, too hard to make sound good, and cost way too much for what they are.
Unread 06-12-2008, 01:04 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

neon_black88 is a name known to allneon_black88 is a name known to allneon_black88 is a name known to allneon_black88 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck brian View Post
Question - in all the videos I see of "This Godless Endeavor" either being recorded or in videos, both Loomis and Smyth are using Krank amps. At least they're the only ones plugged into and powered on. Did they get that sick tone on the record with Kranks?

I plan on picking up a head sometime in the next few months and I really can't dig on the Mesa sound. Krank and Peavey were on my shortlists.
They used a mix of Mesa and Krank for all the rhythm tones.
neon_black88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 01:14 AM   #16
loves metal

SeanC is a name known to allSeanC is a name known to allSeanC is a name known to allSeanC is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfMetal View Post
you must have missed out on the way they came on the scene....their original website outright bashed other manufacturers (by name), and was just generally unprofessional. then they went around throwing around endorsement deals to everyone and posting fake shill reviews on HC, had employees on the HC boards as shills, and all this for amps that are too easy to make sound bad, too hard to make sound good, and cost way too much for what they are.
I guess I never really heard of all that. If its true then I guess that mostly justifies the senseless bashing, and I do agree they seem a little on the expensive for what they are, I mean hell, for the price they're asking you could almost buy a powerball and I don't think theres any contest there. It certainly wouldn't hurt their cause to drop their prices a few hundred bucks.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 04:40 AM   #17
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Still haven't tried one out, but have always fancied that krank jr mini stack (which looks awesome )

Intriguing that they're going for kt88/6550's

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 04:54 AM   #18
Fretboard Wizzard

AARRGGHHH will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibznorange View Post
im yet to hear a crank sound good in person. ive heard a few clips that sounded decent, but who knows with webclips you know?
Yeah, that my experience with them. I've not had a chance to play through one of them because nowhere stocks them round here, and to be honest they don't really seem like my kinda amp, and I'm totally happy with my current setup.

But yeah, I saw a band not long ago with one guitarist who was using a Krank of some sort (I'm presuming it was what ever Dimebag used because he was using a Dime sig guitar ) and his live tone sounded ok when boosted for leads, but the rhythm tone sounded pretty thin and fizzy from the crowd, but I'm pretty sure that was just the way he had it dialed in. He was running it through one of the other bands cabs, it was an Engl slant cab of some sort.
AARRGGHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 04:56 AM   #19
Dog says yes ^.^ Yes

InTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Mike Amott used them for a while, so they can't be all bad! I'm intrugued...

Sabaton
InTheRavensName is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 05:01 AM   #20
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Bound is a name known to allBound is a name known to allBound is a name known to allBound is a name known to all
They'd better have their shit together, especially after building that astronomical amount of gear for Mordhaus.

my mother.... she never loved me. She always says she wishes shes was a raped by someone else ~Borat
Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 05:08 AM   #21
Arktanian Diplomat

Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I've heard Kranks live two times.

First was when my old band played a show with Sinaria, the guitarist was playing a Krankenstein and to my ears the tone was awful, too trebly they way she had it Eq'd

Second was Fear Factory, I beleive Christian was using Kranks then, and I was underwhelmed by the tone...
Zepp88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 05:26 AM   #22
NUDE MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
Still haven't tried one out, but have always fancied that krank jr mini stack (which looks awesome )

Intriguing that they're going for kt88/6550's
I'd love to have a Rev Jr. myself! Those little guys look/sound awesome

Unread 06-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #23
President / RHLC ©

playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheRavensName View Post
Mike Amott used them for a while, so they can't be all bad! I'm intrugued...
It's not because it says "Krank" up front that it necessarily is a Krank inside.

Become one of us or die, ....ers. / Rick

RIP Garcia3441
playstopause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #24
SS.org Regular

Coobanez is a jewel in the rough
Yeah, I've only heard good things about the Krank+ and Rev+, and when I saw Behemoth live, their tone didn't sound bad at all IMO, but it wasn't anything special. I saw that Krank released a SS amp that has the same power option as a car stereo, which they advertised in GW magazine, and tbh, that sounds like shite. Anybody wanna fill me in on if it's actually a good idea or am I on the money? I'd have to say it'd surprise me if it'd sound good, but I don't know. Anybody?
Coobanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #25
Good news, everyone!

Ketzer is a name known to allKetzer is a name known to allKetzer is a name known to allKetzer is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Paradise lost was using Kranks when I saw them, and they were bassy as hell.

'course, Paradise lost plays Death/Doom and Gothic metal, so it's not all bad.

"Appreciating the beauty in music fast enough to blow mortals' faces off."
More notes per second = More emotion per second
"Djent" just may be the worst word created in all of ever.

SELF-APPOINTED EMG WIZARD
Ketzer is offline   Reply With Quote