homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #1

unconventional is a name known to allunconventional is a name known to allunconventional is a name known to allunconventional is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Super Duper Hot Plate Thread - Are you worthy?

So I've been talked into a hot plate. Enough folks have been barking at me to get one. I have a 2:100 mesa power amp for my bedroom

Anyhow, Ima keep it simple.

Weber Mass?

or

THD Hot plate?

Speak or Die.

3,2,1.... GO

unconventional is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
im leaving ss.org

Xtremevillan has much to be proud ofXtremevillan has much to be proud ofXtremevillan has much to be proud ofXtremevillan has much to be proud ofXtremevillan has much to be proud ofXtremevillan has much to be proud ofXtremevillan has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I myself am ordering an 8ohm THD HotPlate.

THD Hot Plate Guitar Amplifier Power Attenuator at AmericanMusical.com

I think they ship from NJ, so win win!
Xtremevillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2008, 09:11 AM   #3

unconventional is a name known to allunconventional is a name known to allunconventional is a name known to allunconventional is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Read this on another forum.

"I used to use a Hotplate, and it sounded like somebody tossed a blanket over my speaker cab. The Mass does the exact same thing - but with the treble compensation, it totally makes up for it. With the switch in the 6db position, it's like the attenuator isn't even there"

unconventional is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
Banned

PlagueX1 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm going to be getting a 16 ohm Hot Plate for my amp pretty soon here.
PlagueX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
THD has "bright" and "deep"switches that do the same thing, and my money says the guy just didn't know how to use them.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2008, 05:16 AM   #6
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
THD will cope with 100w+ amps, the weber I find a bit dodgy just because a high wattage amp could exceed the ratings of them, and then, well, bye bye attenuator.

The Hotplate I have works fine. Use the bright/deep switches for the higher attenuation settings, and you're fine.

Only rubbish thing about them, is that they are for one impedance only, so if i want to run 2 16ohm cabs, I'd have to get the 8ohm version, instead of being able to use my 16ohm one, which, kind of utterly sucks.

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
Deathgrind Maniac

Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
i have a hotplate and i can't seem to get the thing to work right. When it's on if i step the amp up in volume at all where the hotplate would actually be working the tone fizzles out all the low end and sounds like someone is playing it through a telephone, none of the switches do anything to change this. anyone get this problem? am i just retarded?
Crucified is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
You're not running it on -16, by chance? Is it cool for a half second, and then suddenly it drops out?

I had this problem too. As it turns out, I was being an absolute moron and had hooked it up backwards. The amp's speaker output goes into the Hotplate's input, and then the Hotplate's output goes to your speaker.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

Unread 04-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
Deathgrind Maniac

Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
You're not running it on -16, by chance? Is it cool for a half second, and then suddenly it drops out?

I had this problem too. As it turns out, I was being an absolute moron and had hooked it up backwards. The amp's speaker output goes into the Hotplate's input, and then the Hotplate's output goes to your speaker.
thats sounds about right. now you say it, i can't remember how i had it set up. so now i've gotta check it again. thanks buddeh!

ok so i tried that. same problem. does it have something to do with using -16?

Last edited by Crucified; 04-07-2008 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Crucified is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2008, 02:56 PM   #10
-

metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Just remember, as the 2:100 is stereo you'll need two attenuators.

Two thing's I like about my Mass Lite are that it has independant attenuation for highs and lows so you can minimise tone suck, plus it has a speaker motor so it makes the amp react in a more organic way. Oh, and you can plug in rating of speaker cab after it, as the amp just sees the resistance of the Weber
metalfiend666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
SS Contributor

kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
THD will cope with 100w+ amps, the weber I find a bit dodgy just because a high wattage amp could exceed the ratings of them, and then, well, bye bye attenuator.

The Hotplate I have works fine. Use the bright/deep switches for the higher attenuation settings, and you're fine.

Only rubbish thing about them, is that they are for one impedance only, so if i want to run 2 16ohm cabs, I'd have to get the 8ohm version, instead of being able to use my 16ohm one, which, kind of utterly sucks.
no you don't
just switch the amp to 8 ohm and plug both speaker cabs into the speaker outs on the Hotplate.
I have 2 8 Ohm cabs now and I do this all the time, I just switch to the 4 ohm output in the back of the amp.
this came directly from THD(I emailed them and asked about this).
as long as you have a switch to 8 ohms in the ack of your amp (or an 8 ohm output) you're good to go.
As you plug a second speaker out into the Hotplate it cuts the Impedence in 1/2.
That's why there are two Speaker outs on the Hotplate

Axe Fx II in da house
kmanick is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #12
Fear the Polo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucified View Post
thats sounds about right. now you say it, i can't remember how i had it set up. so now i've gotta check it again. thanks buddeh!

ok so i tried that. same problem. does it have something to do with using -16?
I have nop idea why, but when I was running it backwards it only happened at -16dB.

Pull out the manual, and make absolutely sure you've got it backwards. I described my problem to a tech at THD, and he told me right off the bat that this was what I was doing. I figured I couldn't possibly be stupid enough to have hooked the thing up backwards, but I guess they get this question about three times a day.

Amp output ==> hotplate input, hotplate output ==> speaker cabinet. doubcle check that, dude, it almost has to be backwards, I went wrong by matching the amp output to the Hot Plate output without really thinking about it.