homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Awesome-O

Guitarmiester is just really niceGuitarmiester is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Amp Decision

I've got a Carvin Legacy 2x12 combo, but I'm not sure what to do. I moved two years ago after graduating from high school and moving onto college and really haven't been gigging lately. I haven't been able to get a band going or join a serious band, so I've been doing a lot of recording at home and practicing.

I usually use my PodXT for recording and practicing. I live next door to a cop and have another cop a few houses down, so my Legacy barely gets much use anymore. When it does I can't turn it past one, I'd rather not have my neighbors pissed at me. An attenuator really isn't an option at this point. The Legacy is a beast and unbelievably loud. I can easily cut through the mix at gigs/shows/jams. My friend has a 5150, he has to crank it while I'm running my Legacy at about 5.

Now that I'm rarely playing shows or in a band, I'm not so sure the Legacy is practical. It's sitting around in my room collecting dust. I'd hate to get rid of it, but why let it go to waste. I may be playing a few shows this summer with a friend of mine, but it'll probably be small venues like coffee shops and places like that, nothing too crazy. Even in that situation, my Legacy is going to be too much. The amp sounds best when cranked past 4, most of the time I'm no where near that. I could bring my PodXT along and plug directly into the PA for those shows.

My question for you guys, should I sell the Legacy and get something small for at home practice or stick with the Legacy? Another thing to consider, I'll be moving to NY once I'm finished with college in another two years. There's no way I'll be able to have the Legacy in an apartment. Some outside opinions would be nice. I know I should sell it and get some smaller, so some amp suggestions would be appreciated as well. I don't need anything amazing, I'll probably end up going for a low wattage modeling amp.
Guitarmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
sounds like you already made up your mind.

you have the XT - get a power amp and a 112 or 212 cab.

and you're done.

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
Awesome-O

Yea, made the tough decision to sell it. I really don't want to get rid of it, but I'd hate to let it go to waste. It sucks having it there everyday and barely using it. I've had a simple rack setup in the past, didn't use my PodXT with it, but I'd rather keep it simple and go with a combo. I'm thinking about going for a modeling amp. For what I'll be doing that's probably my best choice. The amp is going to be for practice and occasional small gigs. A modeling amp will provide me with a lot of versatility and various I&O options if I don't feel like micing the amp.

More suggestions would be appreciated.
Unread 03-14-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
but what i dont get is why go modeller when that's exactly what your POD does.

you'd have the same thing as your pod, only you'd also have a power amp and speaker built in.

atomic amp?

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 06:31 AM   #5
Giant Fridge Magnet

Ishan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'd suggest a good tube PA and a good 2x12", that's how use my Tonelab SE and it makes a world of difference. It went from pretty good sounding to kicks ass sounding without killing the neighbors. That rig add a little PA tube distortion and speakers distortion which totally bring alive those digital modeler.

Current rig : Agile Intrepid Pro with Lace Aluma Deathbar pickup -> Eleven Rack + TC G-Major -> ESI Near 5 Experience
My string tension calculator STC - supports most D'addarrio and Circle K Strings
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 06:34 AM   #6
Arktanian Diplomat

Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You're surrounded by cops.

Move.
Zepp88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #7
Awesome-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by budda View Post
but what i dont get is why go modeller when that's exactly what your POD does.

you'd have the same thing as your pod, only you'd also have a power amp and speaker built in.

atomic amp?
I guess I could, I'll think about it. The way I was thinking... the singer I'll be working with will be playing rhythm guitar here and there. If I wanted to keep things light, I could plug my PodXT directly into the PA. I've got time to decide.

Ishan - What poweramp are you using?