homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-22-2004, 09:29 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

Andi Rauscher is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question John Petrucci string gauges

hey all, does anyone know the string gauges Mr. Petrucci uses on his 7strings? (for each string?) thx
Andi Rauscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-22-2004, 10:01 PM   #2
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
http://www.ernieball.com/jp/main.html

and btw, welcome to the board!
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2004, 06:51 AM   #3
ss.org Regular

Andi Rauscher is on a distinguished road
hey wildealien, thanks for the link! I already new the site, and (of course!!) I am looking for the gauges of his 7strings! and those are not mentioned there, just the beefys... but who wants a 6string ;-) so, if anyone knows...
and thanks for the welcome!
Andi Rauscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2004, 01:39 PM   #4
Prog Nut

Virtue is on a distinguished road
I believe he uses standard 10's.
Virtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2004, 05:49 PM   #5
Vince is X!!!

Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I picked up almost everything Petrucci did back in the mid 90s because his ways really worked well for me. Amplifiers, guitars, picks (Jazz IIIs), you name it, I really dug his stuff and it worked great for me.

From that, I know that when he tunes to standard tuning, he uses a hybrid 9 guage (9-46) where the lightest 3 strings are basically from a 9 gauge pack and the lower 3 strings are from a standard 10 gauge pack. The Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky pack has this 9-46 configuration. What he's using in that video is for tuning down to C on a six-string guitar, and as such he's using much much higher gauges (12-56). This would feel, as he said in the flash video, just like using 10 gauge strings in standard tuning.

When I tune to C or C# on a six string, what I do is take the bottom 6 strings from a Daddario 7-string set and use the lower 6 strings (11-54). For me that works nicely, as it feels and gives resistance like 9 gauge strings in standard tuning.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2004, 05:18 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Vegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdweller

From that, I know that when he tunes to standard tuning, he uses a hybrid 9 guage (9-46) where the lightest 3 strings are basically from a 9 gauge pack and the lower 3 strings are from a standard 10 gauge pack.
You can get Blue Steels in this gauge they are called "Custom Lites" I've been using them forever on my old Rg550
Vegetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2004, 01:17 PM   #7
Vince is X!!!

Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yeah, that really is the most awesome string gauge, heavy as hell and still very very bendable highs.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote