homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
SS.org Irregular

ohmanthisiscool is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Mode Four

Whatever happend to these amps? I remember trying one out and thought it was the best thing ever. The cleans and crunch were amazing and the scoop switch made modern metal seem like cake. I dunno what do you guys think, do you remember them? Anyone have one?

Threadkiller
ohmanthisiscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Those are still in production
Marshall Amps :: MF350

what do you mean what happend to them
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
None shall pass.

eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I remember trying one and thinking it was decent. Mostly, though, they were overpriced, and didn't sound good enough to justify the price.

I can think of a couple local bands that use them, though, and that "scoop" mode makes them sound terrible, just really muddy and buried in the mix.

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
eleven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
Deathgrind Maniac

Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I hate them. They sound like garbage when turned up. a couple friends of mine had them and no amount of eqing could make them sound usable at high volumes IMO.
Crucified is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Necky379 is just really niceNecky379 is just really nice
i tried one out about 6 months ago and also liked it for the most part, mostly because of the cleans.
Necky379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
SS Contributor

Seven is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
John5 is still using them I think.

They aren't too expensive anymore, but I still don't see many.
Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #7
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
i donīt like them... they sound good at first, but when youīre going to use it in a practical setting, it just kinda goes BAM right in the kisser!

had to use one for a gig not long ago... couldnīt hear shit... and to compensate, when we turned it up, there was nothing but FIZZ!!!

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #8
hates womanizers.

ShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himself
scoop switch = epic fail imo

I'm typing this on my knees with my butt in the air. -Drew
ShawnFjellstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #9
The Dragonrider

WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnFjellstad View Post
Mode 4 = epic fail imo
fixed
WarriorOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #10
I LIKE JUICE!!!

TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I dunno, I've heard them sound decent before. Nothing that amazing, but workable, though still not worth what they were going for.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
TomAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #11
Tremol-no User

arnoroth661 is a glorious beacon of lightarnoroth661 is a glorious beacon of lightarnoroth661 is a glorious beacon of light
I heard something about a 300 watt(400?) head and was like .

That's about it, though.

What a Djentleman!
arnoroth661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 12:09 AM   #12
Filthy Fat ....er

deathmask666 can only hope to improve
I actually own one...I bought it with the cab...$1000.

I needed something to play loud and i didn't have shit except for a real shitty marshall solid state amp that i had for too long.

But i think if I happen to get some extra money i will go for a Mesa.

"Faith: not wanting to know what is true."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

DEATHMASK Myspace Page
deathmask666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #13

Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Overpriced AVT/Valvestate amp, IMO.
Toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 12:28 AM   #14
Filthy Fat ....er

mine wasn't...

-Friedrich Nietzsche

DEATHMASK Myspace Page
Unread 01-02-2008, 12:35 AM   #15

Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.
$1200 for a hybrid amp head is overpriced, 350 SS watts or not.

Used they might be reasonable though.
Unread 01-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #16
Filthy Fat ....er

yep I agree

although mine was about $500....for the head..

-Friedrich Nietzsche

DEATHMASK Myspace Page
Unread 01-02-2008, 01:17 AM   #17

Yeah, it's fine for that, I feel sorry for the people who bought them new though.
Unread 01-02-2008, 07:26 AM   #18
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Meh. I had it next to a DSL and an 800. It sounded like a metal zone. horrid.

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 07:29 AM   #19
The Viking himself

stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshiro View Post
Yeah, it's fine for that, I feel sorry for the people who bought them though.
Fixed

Just kidding guys, not an amp I like myself (then again theres not a Marshall amp I DO like), but fair play to those that do
stuh84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #20
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanthisiscool View Post
Whatever happend to these amps? I remember trying one out and thought it was the best thing ever. The cleans and crunch were amazing and the scoop switch made modern metal seem like cake. I dunno what do you guys think, do you remember them? Anyone have one?
What happened to them is you're one of maybe four people who thought it was the best thing ever.

The mid scoop switch should really be rebranded the tone suck switch, on this and on the TSL. There's only one acceptable time to ever use it - while recording and looking for a "special' washed out thin tone for an overdub. Anything else, and it just eats away your tone.

Toshiro's right - it's really just a glorified AVT with a case of sticker shock, and the AVT's are overpriced to begin with. It's not that it's absolutely horrid, but there's no way in .... it should cost $100 less than a TSL head.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #21
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmask666 View Post
I actually own one...I bought it with the cab...$1000.

I needed something to play loud and i didn't have shit except for a real shitty marshall solid state amp that i had for too long.
Umm...don't you still have a shitty Marshall solid state amp?

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #22
Down-pick or die

Neal is a jewel in the rough
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 05:02 AM   #23
I Was Once Groove.

John_Strychnine has much to be proud ofJohn_Strychnine has much to be proud ofJohn_Strychnine has much to be proud ofJohn_Strychnine has much to be proud ofJohn_Strychnine has much to be proud ofJohn_Strychnine has much to be proud of
This is the best i've heard a mode 4 sound, they recorded it emselves too.

MySpace.com - Me Vs.The Atlantic (Writing new material) - Milton Keynes, UK - Hardcore / Screamo / Experimental - www.myspace.com/mevstheatlantic
John_Strychnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 10:54 AM   #24
Filthy Fat ....er

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
Umm...don't you still have a shitty Marshall solid state amp?
I had an older solid state marshall that was pretty bad...

Hmmm I'm just not that much of a tone nazi...I'm happy with what i have right now...If i had the money then i would upgrade my equipment...

Maybe i should talk shit about other people's gear...
Oh wait mmmm yeah I have respect for other people...
Funny...

-Friedrich Nietzsche

DEATHMASK Myspace Page
Unread 01-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #25
Deathgrind Maniac

Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
that band might have had a good chance at being popular 15 years ago when that style of music was hip and new. I really can't get behind that kind of music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Strychnine View Post
Crucified is offline   Reply With Quote