homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Vegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Genz Benz El Diablo

I have some serious gas for the Genz Benz El Diablo - any of you guys ever have one or played one? Basically I'm looking for anything that would/could make this a no buy/ deal killer. (noisy, not reliable, etc...)

this space for rent
Vegetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
'Das brootal.

thadood is a glorious beacon of lightthadood is a glorious beacon of lightthadood is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mine's been extremely reliable and you can get some pretty sweet tones over a variety of genres. I've been using it for about three years, through numerous gigs and tour situations. It still looks great, too. They really do hold up. The knobs are extremely solid. The only thing showing its usage is the front panel's hex-screws. They're rusty. Other than that, the head's case is tough and hardly scratches and feels solid, too. The recessed side handles are a godsend.

It's pretty damn quiet, though you can get it to feed back fairly easily if you want to (more midrange = more chance of feeding back).

I'm currently running a quad of JJ KT77's. I think they work extremely well in it. It's a great mix of 6L6 and EL34. The EL34's are AWESOME for cleans with this amp, while the 6L6 are amazing for the high gain tones.

I'm selling mine, though. I got an Engl on the way.
thadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Vegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud of
ahhh Thanks Dood

Actually I was also considering an engl also but since so many people here have them i have a pretty good grasp about them so i didnt ask about them

this space for rent
Unread 12-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #4
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
i played the combo, it was nothing to write home about. i expected it to smoke my traynor in the metal-tones high gain department, but it didnt.

i think there's better for the money. however if you've tried it and like it, take it home!

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 05:03 AM   #5
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
^ I have the same feelings
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #6
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
With all due respect to thadood, I was completely underwhelmed by this amp. I've played several, and they were all thin, fizzy, and lifeless.

Honestly, in this price range, there is the 5150 and nothing else.

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
'Das brootal.

thadood is a glorious beacon of lightthadood is a glorious beacon of lightthadood is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
With all due respect to thadood, I was completely underwhelmed by this amp. I've played several, and they were all thin, fizzy, and lifeless.

I guess it's how I tweak it and play it, as well as the tube combination. I get some pretty punchy and ballsy tones out of it. I'm mainly getting rid of it and moving on because I tend to change out my voicing every once in a while (I've had it for over three years, time to sample a new flavor!). There is some inherent fizz, but I've found it particularly easy to dial out by not using the attack feature.

In fact, my current settings are (in measurement to a clock face):
Bass: 3:30
Mids: 11:45
Treble: 12:00
Contour: 10:00
Gain: 3:30

Compression on, high gain off, and using my custom OD pedal. One of the differences with this amp is that the way the EQ section works is unique to most guitar amps (in bass amps, it's fairly common). With all EQ at noon, there is no added or removed EQing, meaning it's completely neutral and is the way your guitar naturally sounds. You don't have to push the EQ hard to shape your tone by much.
Unread 12-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #8
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Wow, you need to crank the bass knob that high?

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
thadood, if there's no shift in EQ with all the knobs at 12, you have an active EQ.

i'm with noodles, that's a lotta bass! and a lotta gain :P

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
'Das brootal.

You're right, I was off x=

I don't know what I was thinking when I was typing that out. I know that the mid/highs are correct, but the bass/gain would be more along the lines of 1:45. 3:30 is almost dimed on this amp, haha.
Unread 12-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #11
ss.org Regular

starsnuffer is just really nicestarsnuffer is just really nice
It's a trap!

It just looks like an amp, instead of the tolexed turd it really is.

The other guitarist in my band has one as a backup, and I use it occasionally when I don't feel like dragging my own amp to rehearsals.

Friends don't let friends buy el diablos.

-W
starsnuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

ahh man thanks everyone for the feedback on it - I haven't actually had the chance to try one (I found a dealer kind of close to me...)

this space for rent
Unread 12-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #13
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Bound is a name known to allBound is a name known to allBound is a name known to allBound is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post

I used to own one and that was my sentiment exactly... and oddly enough when I sold it I was looking at used XXX's and 5150's....

my mother.... she never loved me. She always says she wishes shes was a raped by someone else ~Borat
Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #14
NUDE MAN!

LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
I tried one quite extensively and I was really impressed with its rock tones and really disappointed with the metal tones. It just don't do t3h br00talz. The amp is named after the ....ing devil ! It should be a firebreathing metal monster!

A year ago or so a developer at Genz Benz told me they were making an amp called El Grande that was supposed to be a high gain metal machine but I never heard any more about it.

They ARE built like tanks and will probably be left with the cockroaches if we ever have a nuclear war but if you're looking for good metal tones look elsewhere

www.bodenhamer-electronics.com

the official gain merchant of sevenstring.org.
LordOVchaoS is offline   Reply With Quote