homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-16-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

thedownside is a name known to allthedownside is a name known to allthedownside is a name known to allthedownside is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hd147 or vetta?

So in a lil bit i'm gonna be looking for a new amp, and these 2 are both near the top of my list, but i'm curious as to how they compare. is the hd147 just a stripped down vetta mainly built for metal? used these days on ebay they seem to be very similarly priced, so does the hd147 excell at anything over the vetta?
thedownside is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-16-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
I LIKE JUICE!!!

TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I think it's just a stripped down Vetta, but I guess I'm not 100%.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
TomAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

eon_shift is a jewel in the rough
I dont have experience with either of these but if you want loud as .... ear destroying volume the hd 147 is for. If you want a ridiculous amount of versatility you want the vetta.
eon_shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

thedownside is a name known to allthedownside is a name known to allthedownside is a name known to allthedownside is a name known to all
well i dont need to be able to dial up 654 tones, i know that from my previous pod and current gnx3k. and i use very few effects, but i like modellers, dunno why, they just do it for me. i really need like 3-4 tones, on the ultra heavy side for most of them

is the hd147 louder than the vetta? i like the thought of the 2 amps at once in the vetta, but it could be one of those it's cool to have, but i never really use type of things, hah, like allot are to me (i love my whammy pedal, but i be damned if i actually found a use for it!)
Unread 10-16-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
ss.org Regular

eon_shift is a jewel in the rough
the vetta and the hd 147 should be pretty similar in the volume area but if you can afford the vetta it seems to be the better amp. That being said from what you're saying the hd 147 will most likely have you covered. looking at prices the vetta is only about 400$ extra so if you can afford it id go for the vetta it just gives you more options but if that extra 400$ is a big deal i think you'll be fine with the hd 147.
eon_shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 10:34 PM   #6
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Go with the Vetta. Trust me. As someone who loves his HD, if I had had the opportunity to buy the Vetta instead, I would have. You'll love the dual amp feature.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

i was leaning towards the vetta, as used they seem to be about the same price. if i was going new it's be the hd147 cause i'd like to save that cash. i was more just checking to see if the hd147 had anything the vetta might not

how much more complicated is it to program the vetta as opposed to the hd147?

Last edited by thedownside; 10-16-2007 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 10-17-2007, 01:23 AM   #8
Custom User Title

mnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i really dont like pods at all, i had my xt live for about 6 months and never found a tone i was really happy with, but last weekend i was at guitar center, and there was a vetta II combo there, so i thought "what the heck, lets see if its worth the $1600 price tag"

and to be quite honest, i was very pleasantly surprised with the results. the vetta II sounded waaaaaaaaaay better than my pod ever did. after about 5 minutes figuring out how to change stuff, and another 10 minutes of tweaking patches, i came up with some pretty awesome metal rhythm tones. it still had that djenty feel that i didn't like about my pod, but it was alot less apparent, probably because of the dual amp feature. (it could still djent really easily, but i could also get a pretty cool sounding chug out of it)

i'm sure if i had a couple weeks with it i'd be able to create way better tones, but for 10 minutes of tweaking, i was very happy.

also, its dead easy to navigate, i knew exactly what i was doing after playing with knobs and buttons for a couple minutes. layed out fairly similar to the pods.

i've never tried an HD147 tho, so i can't comment on them.
mnemonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 02:22 AM   #9
dotlike

loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
i've never played the VETTA, so i can't comment on that...

I used to play a flextone II head and got to play a HD147 once. From my impression with the HD147, i didn't feel or hear an improvement over the flextone. If you want a line 6 amp to play on your own or below band-practice volumens then you won't regret it. For some reason, the poweramp on these things isn't really very powerful and gives a disgusting clipping sound when cranked although it's not that loud. I also had problem cutting through in a band mix with this thing.

Anyway, my suggestion would be a podXT (+metalshop model pack) through a tube poweramp if you want a line6 rig. Otherwise get a flextone. You won't be throwing away that much money with it at least.
loktide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 06:27 AM   #10
Dog says yes ^.^ Yes

InTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I have a HD147, it's solid but I'd trade up to a vetta in a second

Sabaton
InTheRavensName is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 06:36 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

plusyear will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i vote the vetta too
the 2 amps at once features is awesome you ll be love it
Go for the vetta

-=Dream Within A Dream=-
plusyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #12
Banned

Benzesp is a name known to allBenzesp is a name known to allBenzesp is a name known to allBenzesp is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Buy a upgraded ver 2.5 Vetta I if you want to save cash. the only diffrences are the cosmetics and software. It is exactly the same amp other than that. Once the I/O pannel and the sofware gets up rev'ed you got a Vetta II for half the price. You can pull that gay plastic Storm Trooper thing off of it as well and it makes it look so much better haha. The dual amp function is ....ing awesome.
Benzesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 03:40 PM   #13
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzesp View Post
The dual amp function is ....ing awesome.
I couldn't agree more. There is a setting on it that is ....ing mindblowing. I actually have thought about taking the 2 amp settings and using them on my recordings.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Unread 10-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

Necky379 is just really niceNecky379 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
you can can the two amp at once feature with the 2.5 upgrade?
Necky379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #15
Banned

Benzesp is a name known to allBenzesp is a name known to allBenzesp is a name known to allBenzesp is a name known to all
Yea, its been a Vetta feature for a long time
Unread 10-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

so the 2 amp at once, can they be layered, or is it just a stereo out? my randall cab is stereo so i could run it however, just thinking about possibilites
Unread 10-17-2007, 04:13 PM   #17
ss.org Regular

starsnuffer is just really nicestarsnuffer is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The HD147 is the head version of the flextone.

The vetta is an overpriced Pod X3 with a built in craptastic poweramp.

Get whichever sounds better to you, but do yourself a favor and try them out in a band setting first, as they tend to disappear in the mix.

-W
starsnuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #18
Banned

You can do it mono or stereo. If you got a pair of cabs or a stereo cab you are alright. Run stereo if you can. The signal routing possibilities are pretty much unlimitied.
Unread 10-17-2007, 04:23 PM   #19
ALL HAIL DJOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedownside View Post
so the 2 amp at once, can they be layered, or is it just a stereo out? my randall cab is stereo so i could run it however, just thinking about possibilites
Both amps play at the same time so they sort of are layered.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Unread 10-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

i've used nothing but modellers in a band setting for 2+ years, never had a problem, i'm not worried about that.
Unread 10-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #21
...is bitching

Jerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to behold
HD147 the Vetta is a time bomb waiting for A major repair not covered under warrenty!......

Brunetti Amplifiers
Member since 07-02-2004..
Jerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 08:35 PM   #22
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich View Post
HD147 the Vetta is a time bomb waiting for A major repair not covered under warrenty!......
elaborate?
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 09:47 PM   #23
ALL HAIL DJOD

I'd like to know about this as well.

Head of Agile Gestapo