homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-26-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Homebuilding a pedal board, advice needed

Never done any woodwork (which'd make this interesting) but also have an aversion to giving someone the best part of 100 for something where I can't fit what I want on, hence I want to build one, hence:

-> Angles? Shoudl it be tilted?

-> Wood, what do I use, what type is adequate?

-> Anyone built one, I expect it isn't hard, but still...

-> Cases, any ideas for designs?

Currently I want to fit my FCB1010, two wahs and a whammy onto it, but possibly other crap as well. Just want to be able to slap it down, plug in an umbilical cord from the rack (with mains power, midi cable and cables running back and forth to the amp for the signal path)

So, help? I remember not being brilliant at woodwork, but was pretty good at lego!

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-26-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
metalguitarist.org

Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Home use only? Make it out of MDF, and cover it with black carpet, or black stretchable vinyl.

Amp: 6505+ / Recto 4x12s
Rack: Axe-Fx II / HD1221s
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
-

metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Did you ever see my craptastic one when you came to see Promise No Lies? It was a plank of 10 or 15mm MDF with my Whammy and GNX4 attached with heavy duty sticky backed velcro. Worked fine, but over time the velcro unstuck from the MDF. Next time I'm playing live I'll use MDF and some cheap brackets from B & Q. If you ask nicely, I don't mind giving you a hand, plus I've got a good idea for making a removable lid too.
metalfiend666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
Lee
Above

Lee is pretty damn metal.Lee is pretty damn metal.Lee is pretty damn metal.Lee is pretty damn metal.Lee is pretty damn metal.Lee is pretty damn metal.Lee is pretty damn metal.Lee is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't have any pictures, but I made mine out of 1/2" MDF and covered it with grey outdoor carpet. I used a heavy duty staple gun to hold the carpet in place, and it works like a charm
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I made a little "power board" for a power strip and all my AC adapters out of a good-quality plywood scrap i had lying around.

I sprayed it with rattle-can pickup truck bed liner (spray on vinyl).

Truck Bed Coatings

I then mounted four large rubber feet to the back side (if i were designing it as a pedalboard, i would have used two to give it a slight tilt). These help prevent it from sliding around.

Then i used some aluminum drawer/cupboard handles around the perimeter as "kick guards" and handles for picking it up and transporting it.

These also give me convenient places to attach cable ties to keep the cables tidy and with a bit of strain relief.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
Sarcy English Twat

7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
It's all giving me ideas

MDF sounds like a good (cheap) option.

What about ways of nicely routing cables under the board?

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
Unread 09-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
Sarcy English Twat

...and yes, I will be gigging with this. It's to make life easier, slap board down, plug into rack, and all is good!

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
Unread 09-27-2007, 10:48 AM   #8
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
make me one too?

i've been meaning to put something together for my stuff (FCB1010 + wah + OD + envelope filter) as well, but haven't gotten around to it. probably posting too much

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2007, 11:07 AM   #9
Lee
Above

Lee is pretty damn metal.Lee is pretty damn metal.Lee is pretty damn metal.Lee is pretty damn metal.Lee is pretty damn metal.Lee is pretty damn metal.Lee is pretty damn metal.Lee is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
What about ways of nicely routing cables under the board?
I used a daisy chain for my power source, but the concept should be the same. I attached the bottom and sides, and routed a hole for the power cable to exit the back. Then I set my pedals out how I wanted them on the top, and marked the areas that I needed to cut out for the individual power cables, cut them, ran the wires, and then attached the top. The carpet covered up most of the hole, and I just left a little notch for the cable to get through.

I hope that made at least some sense, I'm trying to describe it the best I can without having pictures
Unread 09-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #10
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I would caution you against using MDF, unless you're planning on sealing it up REALLY well, or you're not going to be playing bars or clubs where your pedalboard might be on a wet stage or near where drinks migh get sloshed on it. MDF soaks up water like a sponge and turns to mush. Plywood would be a better bet, in my opinion.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2007, 06:14 AM   #11
Sarcy English Twat

See, i know nothing about woodwork... So Plywood is better? Need something sturdy, as my gear does have to withstand a fair amount of abuse...!

So an angled board, with holes in in it for cables and space for the power underneath sound like a plan?

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
Unread 09-28-2007, 09:05 AM   #12
Lee
Above

I'm going home tonight, so I'd be happy to take some pictures to illustrate what the heck I'm talking about
Unread 09-28-2007, 09:22 AM   #13
SS Contributor

7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Yeah I need to create one as well. now if I could only find time...

7StringofAblicK is offline   Reply With Quote