homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-25-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

eon_shift is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Engl vs. Mesa

let discuss the differences between the powerball and the dual recto the ups and downs of each one which one has more distortion better cleans etc.
lets keep away from what you can put in front of them to make the tighter or smoother. im trying to make a list of amps and i need to narrow it down and one of these needs to disappear.
eon_shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-25-2007, 12:45 AM   #2
hates womanizers.

ShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
more distortion? man, both of those amps have more gain than you'll ever need.

I'm typing this on my knees with my butt in the air. -Drew
ShawnFjellstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 12:46 AM   #3
ss.org Regular

youd be surpprised i usually run gain at 10 so id still like to know
Unread 09-25-2007, 12:47 AM   #4
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 49 reviews
The Powerball has a very scooped, processed, solid-state feel to it. You can crank the mids up but the amp still is not very mid-focused. It is articulate, clear, excellent attack and power.

The Mesa on the other hand, has much richer mids, more dynamic organic tone, with loads of crunch and bite but not as processed and articulate as the Powerball. Mesas need the Tube Screamers in front of it, eventhough you don't want to talk about that, it is the x-factor for the amp. The cleans on the Mesa are better as well.

With the right speakers and tweaks, I definitely think the Dual Rectifier is far superior, despite the Powerball's current popularity trend.

If you are considering an affordable ENGL, I vastly prefer the tone of the Fireball model. It has more character, not as ultra-bright and processed sounding. Obviously the ENGL Invader/SE models are probably amazing and would crush both amps.

You could also look into a used Framus or VHT for those prices. You should also know the character of the TRIPLE Rectifier might be a lot more to your liking. The Triples have a tighter, more focused and brutal attack/crunch. Definitely the most brutal Mesa amp made (that I've played).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon_shift View Post
You can do that with a Line 6 Spider. You won't be doing that with a high-gain tube amp. There's the occasional newbie/lunatic who would dime the gain on a ENGL or Mesa, but for the most part the best tones usually are had with the gain in the 3 to 6 range. Again, a Tube Screamer in front of a tube amp is key. You can run the amps gain lower, but still get the same perceived gain...except it feels better, more liquidity and tight.
zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 12:56 AM   #5
hates womanizers.

ShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
well, considering that you currently have a solid state amp, i'm not surprised at all that you run the gain at ten. when i had a solid state amp, i did too.
tube gain is completely different than solid state gain.
at a certain point, the gain knobs on both the powerball and the recto don't really add more gain, so much as they add more fizz.

when i played through the powerball, keeping the gain at about 10:00-11:00 was really all i needed to get some very crushing tones.
the gain knob on the dual recto i used to own never made it past 12:00-1:00, and i got tones suitable to the liking of most brutal death metal fans.

any more than that, and those amps turn into fizzy balls of noise.

the recto has a much more lush midrange than the powerball, and had a more organic feel to it. i'd go with the recto.

Unread 09-25-2007, 12:58 AM   #6
ss.org Regular

i guess the real question then is can a mesa dual or triple recto do brutal death metal or would the engl do it better and still be able to pull a john petrucci
Unread 09-25-2007, 01:02 AM   #7
hates womanizers.

Quote:
i guess the real question then is can a mesa dual or triple recto do brutal death metal or would the engl do it better and still be able to pull a john petrucci
i wasn't really trying to get a petrucci tone when i played the powerball, so i can't really say for that one.

the recto, however, can definitely go from brutal death metal to a smooth petrucci-esque lead tone. rectos are much more versatile than a lot of people make them out to be.

Unread 09-25-2007, 01:03 AM   #8
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Dude,do you know how many death metal albums have been recorded w/ Dual or Triple recs?

If you list your gear in your signature, you're a prick.
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 01:13 AM   #9
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 49 reviews
All I want to say more about my experience with the Powerball is this.... (Disclaimer: Just my opinion)

I was in our rehearsal space with the amp, I fired it up, let it warm up, then started jamming on it. I was very impressed by some of the initial tones I was hearing. My bandmate Buddy and I were looking at each other like "we're content with our amps, but this is pretty cool!".

I was standing to the side of my cab when setting it up, so I wasn't getting a direct impact of the highs just yet. Everything sounded great. It sounded brutal, loud, in-your-face, articulate, tight punchy bass, etc. Then, my bandmate had to run. I stayed and played with the amp, getting the settings just right, etc.

Within about 2 minutes, my elation started to turn sour, and a sensation overcame me: BOREDOM. It just very quickly stopped being fun to play, the tone was very generic and metallic, perfect for djenting but not really for interesting heavy tone. I also started to realize the solid-state like bass response was fun, but it came at the expense of the the feel of the amp. It has tight bass, but in return the mids and highs are ultra compressed and kind of thin sounding as well.

I turned on my VHT, just to quickly compare. Within about 10 seconds of playing it, the joy and fun had returned, and I was just like "ahhhh, that's more like it". I whipped out my cell phone, buzzed Buddy who had just left, and I was like "dude, I know this is gonna sound crazy considering i was just raving about the amp like FIVE MINUTES AGO, but this amp kind of sucks". And he said "yeah, i was being polite but lets just say I'm more than happy to stick to my Mesa".

I guess the point of this is, and of course this is just our opinion, the amp has many excellent characteristics, it has good tone, but it's just a very bland and mechanical sounding amp. Certain amps are more fun to play because of the liquidity fluid feel, the VHT has that AND retains ultimate clarity/articulation. It's odd, the VHT's tone can sometimes sound "dry" (in other words, ultra clear/note definition), but the feel doesn't correspond with that. I believe an amp is an instrument, and a Mesa or VHT, etc... just is a more fun instrument to play through IMO.
zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 01:17 AM   #10
hates womanizers.

[action=ShawnFjellstad] thinks, upon reading zimbloth's comments, that you should try to find a used VHT UL/CL or Framus Dragon, as both are incredible amps. [/action]

Unread 09-25-2007, 01:21 AM   #11
:ubersquint:

OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnFjellstad View Post
[action=ShawnFjellstad] thinks.[/action]
Lies, I tell you. LIES!

You've got your head down
You've got your eyes closed
You look so pitiful now

Your body encrusted with ash
Breath heavy with toxins
Hair singed and matted
Clothes frayed and burnt

You are left with nothing
OzzyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 01:23 AM   #12
hates womanizers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyC View Post
Lies, I tell you. LIES!

you're just jealous of the love that stitch and i share.

Unread 09-25-2007, 02:16 AM   #13
dotlike

loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbloth View Post
The Powerball has a very scooped, processed, solid-state feel to it. You can crank the mids up but the amp still is not very mid-focused. It is articulate, clear, excellent attack and power.

The Mesa on the other hand, has much richer mids, more dynamic organic tone, with loads of crunch and bite but not as processed and articulate as the Powerball. Mesas need the Tube Screamers in front of it, eventhough you don't want to talk about that, it is the x-factor for the amp. The cleans on the Mesa are better as well.

With the right speakers and tweaks, I definitely think the Dual Rectifier is far superior, despite the Powerball's current popularity trend.

If you are considering an affordable ENGL, I vastly prefer the tone of the Fireball model. It has more character, not as ultra-bright and processed sounding. Obviously the ENGL Invader/SE models are probably amazing and would crush both amps.

You could also look into a used Framus or VHT for those prices. You should also know the character of the TRIPLE Rectifier might be a lot more to your liking. The Triples have a tighter, more focused and brutal attack/crunch. Definitely the most brutal Mesa amp made (that I've played).

You can do that with a Line 6 Spider. You won't be doing that with a high-gain tube amp. There's the occasional newbie/lunatic who would dime the gain on a ENGL or Mesa, but for the most part the best tones usually are had with the gain in the 3 to 6 range. Again, a Tube Screamer in front of a tube amp is key. You can run the amps gain lower, but still get the same perceived gain...except it feels better, more liquidity and tight.

I agree with everything

I AB'ed a Fireball with a Powerball last month and for some reason i liked the fireball way more although i expected things to be the other way around. The Fireball just sounded more raw and growly whereas i couldn't get that sound out of the powerball after messing with channel 3 & 4 and open/focused mids. The cleans on both are pretty much comparable and are well... clean, but that's it.
Yesterday i got a dual recto borrowed from a friend (which will replace my flextone head for the next months) and while it's definitely waay harder to dial in than the fireball/powerball, you can also get a tight and defined crunch with a TS on front of the modern channel in bold+diode mode. I can see why many people claim it to be farty and undefined, but they have obviously not tweaked it properly.
Nonetheless, I will most likely be getting a fireball since they are almost 1/3 of the dual recto price here in germany, used of course New, they're 1000 v/s 2300 !!!
The fireball is certainly not the most flexile amp ever made, but it has one of the best tech/prog-metal tones i've heard.
loktide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 03:13 AM   #14
Stop the Madness!

Nick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to behold
fireball for the win!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 04:42 AM   #15
NUDE MAN!

LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Quick comparison for death metal tones...

Zyklon = Powerball ; Cannibal Corpse = Mesa

They both do death metal very well it just boils down to your personal taste.

www.bodenhamer-electronics.com

the official gain merchant of sevenstring.org.
LordOVchaoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 05:27 AM   #16
Banned

Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnFjellstad View Post
you're just jealous of the love that stitch and i share.

Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 06:01 AM   #17
Stop the Madness!

Nick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOVchaoS View Post
Quick comparison for death metal tones...

Zyklon = Powerball ; Cannibal Corpse = Mesa

They both do death metal very well it just boils down to your personal taste.
zyklon are actually both live

i was practically on the stage when i saw them and samoth was playing a powerball and the lead guy (destructor?!?!) was playing a dual or triple rec.

it was brutal to say the least!!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 07:02 AM   #18
SS Contributor

7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I've owned two dual recs (two channel and three channel) and now have a Pball. I sold the dual for a reason. yes, the duals have more flexibility, but the tone 'i'm' going for is achieved on the pball. I've played two shows with it (at venues I've played the dual with) and both shows I've been bombarted with people praising my tone. Sadly, I never got that with the dual ; it was still an incredible sounding amp.

having owned both at the same time I concluded this: the pball cleans were much better. The pball's volume was more useable: meaning, when you turn a knob it gradually gets louder. on my mesa it went from nothing to BAM in the slightest turn of the volume. The mesa EQ is much more responsive, but I enjoy the pball tones (especially with my bloody murder pedal in front).

apples and oranges. Nick likes apples, I like oranges. Both are great fruits.
7StringofAblicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 11:03 AM   #19
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Having played three Engls now (Fireball, Powerball, SE), I definitely think that the Powerball is the worst of the bunch, for all the reasons that Nick said. It is just too focused in the midrange. This, coupled with the very high damping factor, gives is a very processed sound.

This is very characteristic of Engls, although the Powerball is the worst implementation. The SE is far more organic, but that tight, focused midrange is still there. It is not necessarily a bad thing, just not my thing.

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #20
SS Contributor

7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
My post doesn't feel shit on
Unread 09-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #21
hates womanizers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7StringofAblicK View Post
My post doesn't feel shit on
its just everyone's opinion, man.
obviously you're happy with your amp, it just so happens that the powerball isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Unread 09-25-2007, 12:18 PM   #22
SS Contributor

No you're exactly right, dude.

By shit on I mean having a super mod write the exact OPPOSITE to what I did. Do I mind? Hell no . If we're both happy, that's all that matters. But his credibility is far higher than mine so someone will read both and what I wrote will be completley disregarded. I don't mind, seriously. Just the facts of life Plus others agreed so I guess I'll just be quiet haha
Unread 09-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #23
Banned

Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You are taller though. Just square up to him.
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #24
SS Contributor

Nah, I enjoy 99.99% of the things Noodles has to write.
I'm a 21 year old punk - I still have much to learn.
Unread 09-25-2007, 12:38 PM   #25
Banned

Benzesp is a name known to allBenzesp is a name known to allBenzesp is a name known to allBenzesp is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I'm suprised more of you guys have not played a Blackmore. It's my favorite ENGL. Great mids, tight lows, just a very musical tone all togeather. Dont let the "Blackmore" name fool you. It's a great sounding amp and IMO kills a Recto.
Benzesp is offline   Reply With Quote