homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-24-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

janne_oksanen is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's the Deal with the All the Tube Screamers?

I see a lot of ppl here using tube screamer pedals with their super high gain amps. This being a 7 string forum and seeing that the amps have enough gain for a genocide I take it that you guys are not using them for that sweet SRV honky tonky tone. Which begs the question... What are you using them for?

EDIT: corrected a typo
janne_oksanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-24-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
Krunch SMASH

Krunch is a glorious beacon of lightKrunch is a glorious beacon of lightKrunch is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
There was a long discussion about this a few months ago here:
Riddle me this: Distortion pedals in front of amps

The short version: Most people use it as a clean (or almost clean) signal boost, or sometimes not even boosting the signal. TSxxx's have a low pass filter and some tone shaping that tightens the bass response of and allows you to run your amp gain lower while retaining the saturation of a higher gain setting, but tighter.
Krunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Speak for yourself, I use them for that sweet SRV honky tonk tone.

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
Krunch SMASH

Krunch is a glorious beacon of lightKrunch is a glorious beacon of lightKrunch is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post

Unread 09-24-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Yeah, SRV born in a Metallica tour.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
What's funny is that I played in a blues/rock band back in college, and my rig was Strat -> Crybaby -> vintage Tube Screamer -> Fender Blues DeVille. Then I sold it when I joined a metal band. This was before they were worth more than ten bucks.

Noodles
kxksales@gmail.com
Unread 09-24-2007, 04:35 PM   #7
Booyah!

Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.
I read this on the older thread: "It will generally make ANY AMP sound better. Any."

I really have to disagree. I tried an Ibanez TS-7, a TS-9 and a Maxon OD808
in front of my Diezel Herbert and it actually made the amp sound thinner.

Anyone got a clue why that could be?!

The Maxon OD808 was really great with my old Mesa Rectos, but now...I dunno.

Well...not that I would NEED an overdrive pedal for the Herbert. But I just wanted to try it
Guitarholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
Banned

Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Because Diezel's suck?

I'm joking. My expereince with the Diezel was that it is a very thin sounding amp anyway, and i needs all the bass you can kick at it - and I wass playing through a Blackmachine B8 tuned to low 'e'
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
ss.org Regular

Sounds like I need to buy a couple of OD pedals and try that myself. I found that my DS-1 has way too much gain for my clean channel even when set to the minimum. Gotta add a SD-1 and a TS of some sort to my shopping list.
Unread 09-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #10
Giant Fridge Magnet

Ishan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud of
My amp amp have some loose bass (nothing terrible but still a bit annoying) and any TS9 clone can get rid of that! Can't wait for my Bloody Murder!!

Current rig : Agile Intrepid Pro with Lace Aluma Deathbar pickup -> Eleven Rack + TC G-Major -> ESI Near 5 Experience
My string tension calculator STC - supports most D'addarrio and Circle K Strings
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #11
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
Actually, on occasion I do. A TS with the gain about 2/3 and the level most of the way up hitting the front end of an ever-so-slightly driven Rectifier is a SERIOUSLY good blues tone.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 05:13 PM   #12
Banned

Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Shut up, Drew. Stop posting and start PM'ing.

Unread 09-24-2007, 05:13 PM   #13
Krunch SMASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Actually, on occasion I do. A TS with the gain about 2/3 and the level most of the way up hitting the front end of an ever-so-slightly driven Rectifier is a SERIOUSLY good blues tone.
Indeed it is.
Unread 09-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #14
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Stitch is getting jealous - seems Shawn isn't the only gay one here.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #15
Banned

Unread 09-24-2007, 05:25 PM   #16
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #17
Banned

=

Last edited by Stitch; 09-24-2007 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 09-24-2007, 06:00 PM   #18
ss.org Regular

[action=janne_oksanen]wonders wth just happened to this thread[/action]
Unread 09-24-2007, 06:05 PM   #19
hates womanizers.

ShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himself
[action=SawnFjellstad] thinks that janne_oksanen hasn't been here quite long enough to fully understand, but, long story short, stitch and i are .[/action]

edit: if you have to ask why we use OD pedals in front of high gain amps, you probably haven't tried it yet.

I'm typing this on my knees with my butt in the air. -Drew
ShawnFjellstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #20
Banned

Unread 09-24-2007, 06:19 PM   #21
hates womanizers.

ShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch216 View Post

I'm typing this on my knees with my butt in the air. -Drew
ShawnFjellstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #22
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnFjellstad View Post
[action=SawnFjellstad] thinks that janne_oksanen hasn't been here quite long enough to fully understand, but, long story short, stitch and i are .[/action]

edit: if you have to ask why we use OD pedals in front of high gain amps, you probably haven't tried it yet.
Right... Anyways... Sure I have tried OD pedals in front of high gain amps, but being the distortion junkie I am it never crossed my mind to use them with the gain all the way down! I cranked them up and then cranked the amp's gain up, got a huge feedback and blew my ear drums. Then when I was done laughing I got up and made a point of never doing it again :P
Unread 09-24-2007, 06:54 PM   #23
SS Contributor

7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Yeah, they aren't used to add gain - they are a tone-shaping tool. They tighten up a loose amp, or add clarity to notes. They add good harmonics, too.

gain down, tone middle (ish) volume about half or more (some people use it all the way up) ALL in front of an amp = sex. You'll notice that with the OD the clarity will increase and you'll use even less gain. on my Pball the gain is on about 2-3 MAX and my bloody murder it's about level 2-3 as well. It's very clean and articulate, but more importantly, brutal bitches.
7StringofAblicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #24
I'm your huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
You obviously missed my second post.

Noodles
kxksales@gmail.com