homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
DEATHMETAL!!!!!!!!!

neroceasar is just really niceneroceasar is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Detuned cabs?

This is just a curiosity thread. Has anyone played through a detuned cab? like a Vintone or Mad sound? They're supposed to be sooo much better...
neroceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
.. how do you detune a cab?

Rock on!
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
hates womanizers.

ShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by budda View Post
.. how do you detune a cab?
that's the first thing i thought too.

I'm typing this on my knees with my butt in the air. -Drew
ShawnFjellstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 11:46 AM   #4
DEATHMETAL!!!!!!!!!

neroceasar is just really niceneroceasar is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnFjellstad View Post
that's the first thing i thought too.
I dont think it's something you can do to cab it how it's built. checkout About Vintone Circuits
neroceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
hates womanizers.

ShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himself
that's interesting. i guess i'd have to try one out to really see if they're worth it.

I'm typing this on my knees with my butt in the air. -Drew
ShawnFjellstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
President / RHLC

playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
First time i hear about this.

Quote:
Just what is a "Detuned Cab" and why is it so big?

Detuned cabs are the answer to obtaining the optimum sound from a cabinet in a controlled environment. What's the best cabinet design? Something between a large sealed cabinet and a slightly smaller but still large bass reflex design: a "detuned" cabinet with a single driver. This is essentially a cabinet built for two identical drivers with one driver left out and it's mounting hole left open.

The port is not tuned to any specific frequency but instead allows a broad range of frequencies to be reversed through the shallow duct. Instead of having a brick-wall bass roll-off, the low end rolls off gradually but slightly slower than the raw driver. The large cabinet does not sound boxey so mids and highs sound three dimensional, unlike a sealed cabinet which sounds comparatively sterile.

We sometimes call this an "open-front" design since it is like having an open-back cabinet where you bring along your own wall. The closed back gives consistent sound regardless of room placement; therefore the port cannot be on the back. The only caveat is one that applies to every other design: that elevating the cabinet seriously reduces low frequency output, so -always leave it on the floor.
Vintone Circuits Detuned Cabs

Become one of us or die, ....ers. / Rick

RIP Garcia3441
playstopause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
Banned

Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Sound sinteresting. I'm all for a more organic midrange (at the end of the day it is the most important part of your guitar sound) but more treble leaves me worried with a 6505

WOuldn't pay the daft prices they are no doubt asking for them though.
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

Xykhron is a glorious beacon of lightXykhron is a glorious beacon of lightXykhron is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
they look so interesting. Seems to be like an improved Genz-Benz G-Flex cab..

www.inlovingmemory.es

Melancholic doom/death metal
Xykhron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
blah!

nyck is just really nicenyck is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
My Avatar 4x12 is detuned to two V30s on the top two slots.
It sounds a bit more open and fills the room better in my opinion. Definitely try it out if you're looking to experiment. Make sure you wire everything correctly and use the correct ohmage and wattage matching!
nyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
that's pretty interestin'

i kinda like running 4 speakers though, so i will continue

Rock on!
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #11
ss.org Regular

crewchief is on a distinguished road
I detuned my 1960A and that lasted about 2 hours. It is great with an amp that needs more bottom oomph, but with a 6505+ it just got to loose on the bottom end and flubby. This is probably the nicest detuned cab I have seen and partnered with a SLO none the less.
Soldano SLO Custom Head / Matching CAB Celestion Golds - (eBay item 130153690717 end time Sep-24-07 12:00:03 PDT)
crewchief is offline   Reply With Quote