homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Who is almost completely satisfied with their rig?

My buddy Todd (siggy14) dropped off his Mark IV halfstack this weekend for me to play around with, specifically to flog at loud volume at band practice. Now, keep in mind that this is an amp that I've gasing over for a really, really long time.

Well, it left me wanting. The cleans were better than standard Recto fair, but I don't think they were any better than those on my Roadster. The rhythm channel sounded like a more primitive version of Ch2/Brit on my Roadster. Sure, the lead sound was amazing, but I could almost nail it with Ch3/Vintage. Of course, a Mark can't touch a Recto for brutal rhythm assault. I really can't see any logical reason to own one of these amps.

I've been finding this a lot lately. The more I play other amps, many with great reputations, the more I find that they just don't hold up. I've played an Engl Powerball and Fireball; a Marshall JCM800 and JVM; a VHT Pitbull CL, Pittbull UL, and Deliverance; a Bogner Ecstasy and Uberschall; a Diezel VH4 and Herbert; a Hughes & Kettner DuoTone and Triamp; a Mesa Mark IV and Stiletto. I've played tons of stuff, and none of it makes me anywhere near as happy as my Roadster.

I guess after all these years, I just finally found my amp. I really can't think of anything I'd rather plug into. Including my old Road King series 1, which isn't even close. I don't think I'm the only one who is this happy.

Cost no object, if you could only own one head, power/preamp combo, or modeler, what would it be? And do you already own it?

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I already own the one I want, although I still do occasionally want for a Roadster for the "other" band...

Buy one just for that one!

Division - American metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook, and Soundclick might eventually be updated, too.
eaeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
That's exactly what I'm getting at, Mike. You could sell the Triple and buy a Roadster, but don't, because your current amp makes you so happy. You really only want the one extra channel that you'll be barely ever use, since you mainly play acoustic or POD-based gigs.

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
i've found a similar experience, but not to the same extent. there's several amps that i'd like to run in conjunction with my Nomad 45, and maybe one or two that i could replace it with (the Roadster and Mark IV are probably #1 and #2 respectively), but a vast array that i feel are inferior in tone and feel, to my ears.

most notably was a $4k Diezel Einstein that i played. my list $1.4k Nomad sounded better to me, and was far more versatile (that i found after a few hours of tweaking here and there).

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Vescere bracis meis.

B Lopez is pretty much the man.B Lopez is pretty much the man.B Lopez is pretty much the man.B Lopez is pretty much the man.B Lopez is pretty much the man.B Lopez is pretty much the man.B Lopez is pretty much the man.B Lopez is pretty much the man.B Lopez is pretty much the man.B Lopez is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
My choice would definitely be the Roadster as well. I kept reading about you praising the thing, so I tried it and it blew me away even though I thought I knew what to expect. Im 100% happy with my Vader 2x12, but havent ever been happy with a guitar
B Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
Dog says yes ^.^ Yes

InTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
nowhere near...

Sabaton
InTheRavensName is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
NUDE MAN!

LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Never!

www.bodenhamer-electronics.com

the official gain merchant of sevenstring.org.
LordOVchaoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
Lord Super Awesome

Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
I've gotten some great sounds out both expensive and inexpensive gear. However, I'm always on the hunt for something to top that.
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 05:02 PM   #9
Krunch SMASH

Krunch is a glorious beacon of lightKrunch is a glorious beacon of lightKrunch is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've exactly the same experiences trying out gear. I'm very happy with my Roadking tone all around. There are a couple of things I imagine I might want from my amp that it doesn't do but I'm not really sure if they are even based in reality. But every time I try out new gear I'm like, well this isn't bad, but it's not as good as my RK.

I tried an Invader 150 and I was expecting something else I guess, cause it didn't deliver at all. I tried a Herbert and it was pretty nice, but sounded like it would get buried in a mix, and.... the price? No. I was blown away by the Mark IV lead sound, best lead I've ever heard (and felt) in my life, but like Dave said, I can get a little of that from the RK, and I can use the EL34s to make it more lead-er-ific. I loved the Stillettos, but it wouldn't be a sufficient replacement for my high gain rhythm channel. Every time I try a VHT in a guitar store, I can't get it to sound remotely good, obviously I'm doing something wrong. Ecstasy didn't have the kind of gain I like. Ubershall sounded... bad I don't know but I didn't like it.

It's possible however that I just can't get a good sound out of anything in 30 minutes in a guitar shop.

The only amp I've ever tried that I said "man I could switch to this and be happy" was the ENGL SE.
Krunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #10
Double Edge FTW

Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm 99.9% happy with my current rig. Although I've tweaked it recently to see if changing the tone a bit would sound better on stage, I came to the realization that my previous setting was much better.

I'd like to eventually get an H&K TriAmp MkII, but in all honesty, if I were to replace my current TriAxis/2:90 setup, it'd make setup/teardown at gigs much more work and take much longer than it currently does. I like everything the way it is. So I'd say yeah, I'm not really gassing for anything new anymore.

Maybe guitars, but ampwise, no.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #11
Appreciates Kwolity

ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
PODxt Live FTW!
ZeroSignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #12
You're no daisy.

Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Stop it! You're bringing back my Roadster GAS!

"Does the brain control you or are you controlling the brain? I don't know if I'm in charge of mine." - Karl Pilkington
Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 05:25 PM   #13
Booyah!

Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Iīve never felt this satisfied as I feel right now with my Diezel Herbert.
This baby nails exactly the tone I had in mind. And itīs not getting buried in the mix!!!
Guitarholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 05:25 PM   #14
ss.org Regular

Ror3h is a glorious beacon of lightRor3h is a glorious beacon of lightRor3h is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Personally I'm VERY happy with my ENGL fireball.
The only things I think I need for my perfect rig is the footswitch (so I can get a lead boost lol), and maybe some kind of reverb/delay unit for clean/lead parts.
Other than that I ....ing love my rig atm, and it's as simple as possible
Guitar -> Noisegate -> Tuner -> Amp.

Perfecto.
Ror3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 05:27 PM   #15
Cancer:The Crucifuct

Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I'm pretty happy too, although I wonder sometimes if that just Cancer-ese for "you haven't tried out enough gear"? For me, I always been able to find decent tones (for me anyway) out of pretty much anything, what I don't find often is versatilitiy. Is my present gear versatile enough?, no not really, although previous versions of my rig have been scaringly close.

I'm hoping to new Pod can do that for me, if not, then I'm pretty sure the Axe-Fx can.
Cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 05:33 PM   #16
You're no daisy.

Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A bit more on topic...

I'm not completely satisfied, because as awesome as the Fireball is, I kinda feel like I need a bit more versatility, so I'm hoping to go for an Engl SE at a later stage.

"Does the brain control you or are you controlling the brain? I don't know if I'm in charge of mine." - Karl Pilkington
Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 05:51 PM   #17
Banned from Reality

Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.
I really like my JSX, and haven't played anything I'd rather have at the moment. What I would like is nicer effects, in terms of both sound and ease of use.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #18
Djentleman

angryman is just really niceangryman is just really nice
For what I do the 5150 is perfect for me & I'm extremely happy with it!
angryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 05:56 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

sonofabias will become famous soon enough
I have half of it with my Invader, now all I need (for electric) is the SE which is comming soon!
sonofabias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 05:56 PM   #20
XEN
BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS

XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.
I already have the tone I want with the Mark IV and the Chaos mod TS-9 from Bodenhamer, but now I just need an ISP Decimator, a Weber attenuator, and a Palmer PDI-09, and I'm good to go for now.

XEN STRINGED INSTRUMENTS
BEYOND 6UITAR AND B4SS

xen.guitars / xen.facebook / xen.email
XEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 06:00 PM   #21

Donnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I'm fairly happy. Mostly I'd like to find a Soldano SM-100R power amp to go with my Soldano SP-77 pre. And a pair of Soldano cabs would be nice too.

Bad Mother....a of the Classifieds
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #22
Is a Pastafarian

sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I always thought I could find something I liked more then my Mark IV but the more and more I look, the more I come to think it may not be possible. I am not completely satisfied - I wish the rythym 2 channel was not useless - but I am too happy to ditch this amp entirely for something else.

And I dunno... I like how my Mark IV sounds for rythym way more then I ever liked my Recto. It has shitloads of gain, more then enough, and all that extra bass the Recto has is best not played through the guitar cab, and should come from the actual bassist instead. And the Mark IV will get a sick amount of super punchy bass anyway, when you tweak the graphic EQ just so. Only when I am playing by myself every once and awhile do I wish I had a Rectifier again, but in a band situation - Mark IV all the way.

Soundcloud - New clip 9/16/2014
sakeido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #23
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
i wonder... Dave, now that your amp buying is basically complete, since you own the human race's top audio achievement... do you feel any sadness about not being able to go up anymore?

or do you drown out your feelings with warm, sizzling gain?

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 06:06 PM   #24
None shall pass.

eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I'm pretty moody about my tone. Some days I love my tone and think I've got the perfect rig for my needs, other days I can't make it sound good.

On the plus side, I've got a Line6 amp, so I can go tweak happy when I feel like my tone is horrible.

But even then, most of the time I'm GASing for something completely different with similar, but better tones.

Most of the time I'd kill for a Roadster, or a Diezel VH-4. Other times, I wish I could afford to run a 2 amp setup. Other times I'd kill for a simple tube half-stack.

I figure, I'll buy a new amp someday, when I'm in a band again and know what my needs will be. Until then, I'll probably get a new cab someday sooner.

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
eleven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 06:10 PM   #25
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I've been extremely happy with my GT-6, which is why i haven't changed it in five years. I keep learning new things about it, discovering new amp sounds i love, and keep tweaking my favourites to perfection. I've changed power amps and cabs, but my core setup is still the same.

That said, i would LOVE to use my GT-6's effects section with a Roadster combo using the four-cable method and a MIDI switcher. That would be my ultimate setup, i think.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote