homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-24-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
So, I played a Stilleto Ace Combo today...

...and holy crap, did Mesa fix this amp! I played a couple of the series I Deuce and Trident models, and flat-out thought they sucked.

I heard about the "Holywood Mod", figured it was smoke, and thought this would be one of Mesa's short-lived mistakes...

Man was I wrong.

This is the first EL34 amp I've played in a long time that I really liked. Channel one can go from a nice, spanky clean to a nice grit, and channel two goes from a nice grit to rip your head off, depending on the mode.

This is the first time I've seriously considered selling my Triple. I almost walked out with that amp...

Division - American metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook, and Soundclick might eventually be updated, too.
eaeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
Is a Pastafarian

sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Whoa, the gain channel will hit head ripping territory? That doesn't sound at all like the other ones I played. Is it a really stock Marshall sound, or does it get into boosted JCM800 territory?
sakeido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

jaredowty is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's definitely more into boosted JCM800 territory IMO. It's got a nice amount of hot-rodded Marshall girth to it. I love the gain channel, it's awesome and can definitely rip your head off with the right settings. The clean channel is pretty damn good too for an El34 amp. Definitely an great amp that's on my list of future amps to obtain...
jaredowty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 06:15 AM   #4
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.
I was running it on Fluid Drive with the gain on about 2:00, and it was ripping nicely - plenty of gain.

Let's put it this way: I've spent most of the night toying with the idea of selling my Triple and buying one. Seriously.

Division - American metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook, and Soundclick might eventually be updated, too.
Unread 05-25-2007, 06:25 AM   #5
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Intriguing. I tend to believe you, I have never played one. How does the midrange character with heavy distortion differ than on your Triple? What about the responsiveness? Did you try it with a V30 cab or C90?
zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 06:35 AM   #6
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

It was the combo, so it had V30s. The mid is very different than the Triple - it's much more "dense" and growling - it sounds kind of like the "Master of Puppets" tone on steroids.

I could even get the V30 "honk" under control...

Unread 05-25-2007, 07:14 AM   #7
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
I remember trying out the stilletto about 2? years ago or more, and I sent it back about 30 minutes after plugging it in, it was such a massive let down it was unbelievable.

This does sound promising, which are the models to stay away from then?

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 07:34 AM   #8
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i thought the ace was a 112?

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 07:42 AM   #9
www.fools-game.com

Matt Crooks is his own personal hero.Matt Crooks is his own personal hero.Matt Crooks is his own personal hero.Matt Crooks is his own personal hero.Matt Crooks is his own personal hero.Matt Crooks is his own personal hero.Matt Crooks is his own personal hero.Matt Crooks is his own personal hero.Matt Crooks is his own personal hero.Matt Crooks is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaeolian View Post
This is the first EL34 amp I've played in a long time that I really liked. Channel one can go from a nice, spanky clean to a nice grit, and channel two goes from a nice grit to rip your head off, depending on the mode.

This is the first time I've seriously considered selling my Triple. I almost walked out with that amp...
EL34 FTW!

It has to be a serious amp for you to think about giving up the triple.

I've given a lot of thought to getting rid of the RK and getting a Triple and a EL34 amp (either Splawn or Bogner).... now I may have to really think about the Ace. I bet I could trade the RK and not much cash for a Triple and an Ace... damn GAS!

...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"
http://www.fools-game.com/
http://www.myspace.com/foolsgameband
Matt Crooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 08:00 AM   #10
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
I remember trying out the stilletto about 2? years ago or more, and I sent it back about 30 minutes after plugging it in, it was such a massive let down it was unbelievable.

This does sound promising, which are the models to stay away from then?
Two years ago it would have still been the series I, which sucked all sorts of ass. The series II ACE 2-12 combo is what I played yesterday, and I couldn't believe it was the same amp. Gutty, gritty, just nasty enough, and nice bottom end response - I was using my Soloist 7 with the new Wolfetone rewound JB in it, and Dave walked in and said "woah, I want one of those - what amp are you using?"

I had played a JSX (not bad), B52 (yeech), Triple (to check the pickup out, see my post on it, and I *still* hate that amp with V30s), VHT Deliverance, and then the Ace - and the Ace might have been the best of the bunch. I was stunned by how gutty the amp was, and the presence it had - more like a VHT than a Marshall, in some ways, but with that Marshall "density".

Unread 05-25-2007, 08:01 AM   #11
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by budda View Post
i thought the ace was a 112?
They make 1-12, 2-12, and heads.

Unread 05-25-2007, 08:43 AM   #12
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Quote:
Two years ago it would have still been the series I, which sucked all sorts of ass.
Yep, it sucked seven shades of shit, i was really looking forward to it, but it had no gain, got flattened in the band mix by everything else, sounded flat and bland and had no balls. Couldn't believe it was a mesa, and their marketing about how it'd "complement" a dual rec was just complete rubbish, I tried to like it, but it was turd.

Quote:
The series II ACE 2-12 combo is what I played yesterday, and I couldn't believe it was the same amp. Gutty, gritty, just nasty enough, and nice bottom end response - I was using my Soloist 7 with the new Wolfetone rewound JB in it, and Dave walked in and said "woah, I want one of those - what amp are you using?"

I had played a JSX (not bad), B52 (yeech), Triple (to check the pickup out, see my post on it, and I *still* hate that amp with V30s), VHT Deliverance, and then the Ace - and the Ace might have been the best of the bunch. I was stunned by how gutty the amp was, and the presence it had - more like a VHT than a Marshall, in some ways, but with that Marshall "density".
Sounds pretty cool actually, more like what it should have been two years ago. Basically a gutsy 800 with more defined tighter low end and without needing to boost it?

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 08:49 AM   #13
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
Sounds pretty cool actually, more like what it should have been two years ago. Basically a gutsy 800 with more defined tighter low end and without needing to boost it?
Yeah, pretty much - it's still got the Mesa preamp flavor a bit, too. The amp seems to have caught up to the marketing.

Unread 05-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #14
Cancer:The Crucifuct

Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Curious, did you boost it with anything, or just run straight?
Cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 08:53 AM   #15
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Really....

Mike, you've heard the tones I've both dialed up with the Nomad in the past, and have been getting from the Tech-21 lately. I've been seriously curious about this amp ever since - what are the odds I'm going to plug in with it and dial it into the sort of territory I've been heading with the Trademark 30?

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #16
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancer View Post
Curious, did you boost it with anything, or just run straight?
A cable (cheap GC cable, at that) straight in. No gain issues - plenty o' grind.

Unread 05-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #17
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Really....

Mike, you've heard the tones I've both dialed up with the Nomad in the past, and have been getting from the Tech-21 lately. I've been seriously curious about this amp ever since - what are the odds I'm going to plug in with it and dial it into the sort of territory I've been heading with the Trademark 30?
Yes, in a word, although the top end may be a little "stringy" compared to what you're getting...

Unread 05-25-2007, 09:20 AM   #18
Is a Pastafarian

sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
How does it compare to a Mark IV? I like the comparison of the MoP tone on steroids... I feeel the GAAAS creeping in.
Unread 05-25-2007, 09:22 AM   #19
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakeido View Post
How does it compare to a Mark IV? I like the comparison of the MoP tone on steroids... I feeel the GAAAS creeping in.
It's definitely *not* a Mark. It's not a Recto, either - it's like meeting in the middle between the two, in a lot of ways.

Granted, this was about 20 minutes of playing in a store, but it's enough to make me really, really curious about spending more time with one...

Unread 05-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #20
-

metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
As you're an endorser, are you able to borrow one for a week or two for a teat prior to making a decision?
metalfiend666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 09:50 AM   #21
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
It's definitely *not* a Mark. It's not a Recto, either - it's like meeting in the middle between the two, in a lot of ways.
...., that has me even more curious. The high end "stringiness" can probably be tamed by the presence knob, turning up the power section and taming it with a Hot Plate, a TS out front, or some combination thereof.

I NEED to try one of these.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 09:54 AM   #22
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfiend666 View Post
As you're an endorser, are you able to borrow one for a week or two for a teat prior to making a decision?
I don't know. Since Mesa's not open on Friday, I'll find out next week.

Unread 05-25-2007, 09:55 AM   #23
-

metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Please do and let us know what you think long term. If you have a way of doing it, clips would be very nice.
metalfiend666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #24
Is a Pastafarian

Quote:

Granted, this was about 20 minutes of playing in a store, but it's enough to make me really, really curious about spending more time with one...
So is it the tightness and articulation of a Mark with the saturation of a Recto, or is it perfectly in between in all aspects? I'm seriously curious about one of these now, because as much as I like the dry Mark sound, I would really like an extra bit of saturation but with the attack I am used to from the Mark now.
Unread 05-25-2007, 10:13 AM   #25
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Is there any place with sound samples? I tried to find some stuff online, but all i can find is a guitar review video with some guy play cliched blues licks through it/
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote