homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-18-2007, 07:26 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

tezro is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Sound: Peavey 6505 + Marshall 1960BV with Ibanez K7

Hi everyone. I'm kinda newbie here so maybe this question has already been discussed.

I got Peavey 6505 with Marshall 1960BV connected at 16omhs with Ibanez K7 plugged in. I suppose it's a not bad rig =) but the question is that I cannot get the right sound on it. I mean the 7-th string sounds like nothing, like the bass and mid-bass is cut. I play Dropped A so a chord AEA sounds terrific, but not slightly on this gig.

I want to know how to get a perfect sound on this kit. I use it at a rehearsal base and the knobs on amp on lead channel go like this: pregain 3—4, low 5, mid 10, high 3, presence and resonance 10.

I want it to sound as good as it can so that all the notes are readable and at the same time brutal.
tezro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-18-2007, 07:50 AM   #2
I LIKE JUICE!!!

TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Welcome!

That's such a subjective thing that nobody can tell you exactly what to do to get what you would consider to be a perfect tone. You may not even be able to get that from your rig depending on what you consider to be a perfect tone. You can only really get closer to that by figuring out how to work your gear better so that you can better take the tone that's in your head and try to shape your gear to produce a similar sound.

That being said, I think you're going about it all wrong with the way you seem to be doing this. If you're using the lead channel with the presence maxed, that might be why it sounds so thin on low power chords. Playing at high volumes with the presence maxed will also probably damage your hearing. Try the rhythm channel. Also, do your initial tone shaping with the presence and resonance knobs all the way down. Presence and resonance aren't meant to be used the way you're using them; they're supposed to just give a little boost to the tone you construct with the bass, mid, and treble knobs. Get your amp sounding as good as you can WITHOUT them, and then add just enough presence and resonance to give it what it needs.

Is your K-7 stock? The PAF-7 pickups that come with the K-7 are far from ideal for brutal shredding pickups. You might be able to make them work, but I don't know if the PAF-7 is the right pickup for what you seem to be going for.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
TomAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
SS Contributor

kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I run my 5150 into a Marshall top (but with Greenbacks) and If I used your
settings my rig would sound like total shit. (no offense intended here)

try these settings
Lead channel
pre gain 4-5
bass - 5
mids -4
treble - 4
low res - 5-6
Presence - 4
I get a great fat sound with these settings.
I also use either a BBE sonic stomp or an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop
(depending on the mood I'm in and what guitar I'm using).

the EQ in the loop on 5150's really helps you shape your tone. )I like it better
thatn the BBE)
the rhythm channel is also alot 'fatter" sounding than the lead, try using that
channel (with the crunch off) and a boost in front of the amp.
Rhythm Channel settings
pregain 9
bass 5
mids- 6
treble -5
low res - 5
presence -5-6
with a boost in front my amp sings with those settings.
that should sound huge thru your rig as V30's handle bass response better than greenbacks.
let us know how they sound.

Axe Fx II in da house
kmanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
dotlike

loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAwesome View Post
Is your K-7 stock? The PAF-7 pickups that come with the K-7 are far from ideal for brutal shredding pickups. You might be able to make them work, but I don't know if the PAF-7 is the right pickup for what you seem to be going for.
I've never been a fan of stock K7s. Depending on your budget, I would put either a lundgren M7 or a dimarzio blazeII in it, if you want to get more out of your guitar. I can't really comment on the 6505 since i don't own one, but I would suggest to restart tweaking your tone having all parameters at 12 o'clock and preventing extreme settings, since these mostly sound unnatural and unbalanced.
loktide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

Shaman is a splendid one to beholdShaman is a splendid one to beholdShaman is a splendid one to beholdShaman is a splendid one to beholdShaman is a splendid one to behold
You need a booster/overdrive pedal!

That will tighten up your tone a lot and give your tone a "healthier" low-end.

There are a lot of options available, like various Tubescreamers, Boss SD-1 etc.
Shaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
Deathgrind Maniac

Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.Crucified is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
get those presence/res knobs down! i have a 5150 and use uv's and a 2027 with knobs at pre 11 o clock bass 12 o clock mid 3 o clock high between 2 and 3 o clock, low res at 12 o clock and pres at between 2 and 3 o clock, nice high gain, super articulate notes.

also, running a tube screamer or a duncan pickup booster in front really helps!
Crucified is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2007, 02:38 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

Axel is a jewel in the rough
You cannot go wrong with Lundgren pickups that's for sure. I use the 5150 which is very similar if not identical to a 6505 and the pickups really made a big difference in my sound. The next best investment for my sound was getting the right cabinet. I opted for the Splawn, but I think there's a lot of good stuff out there besides the Marshall (no offense to Marshall users). Experiment! And definetely try different settings. Start with everything at noon and go from there. Slow tweaks.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2007, 07:06 AM   #8
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanick View Post
sound like total shit
It almost does like this. And I suppose this all because of Pres and Res knobs set max.

Thanks everyone for replies. I will try all presented tuneups today and will write asap.

For me K7 is a natural Japanese =) and it sounds great live and in recordings. But I suppose if it was possible to get Lundgrens in Moscow I would put them in. As for the cab, I use it 'cause of vintage speakers in it.

K, see you soon.

UPD: Didn't manage to. Drummer went to football with the keys =)

Last edited by tezro; 05-20-2007 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 05-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #9
ss.org Regular

I did it.

Peavey did it best for me.

Pre 3.5, bass 6, mid 5, trebble 3, res 4, pres 3.

I got the sound I wished from the neck humbucker.

Now, I will tell you why I used previous settings. I have a friend from band Crystal Abyss, they recorded their album in Poland studio, and he said that were the settings for the record. Even more: pre 3, bass 12 o'clock, mid max, trebble 9 o'clock, res max, pres 1 point to max.

That is the shittiest settings i've heard.
Unread 05-21-2007, 01:07 PM   #10
SS Contributor

kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
that's pretty close to what mine are. The V30's probably are a little brighter than the Greenbacks.
cool!
I was using mine all day yesterday with my Carvin 7 and I was thinking "god damn I love this amp, it's got such an In your face tone".

Axe Fx II in da house
kmanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #11
ss.org Regular

Yeah, now I do really have a legbreaking sound with the volume at 12 o'clock
Unread 07-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

I ordered neck and bridge Lundgrens M7. Will be shipped near september.

By the way, what does it mean "booster in front"? Just a pedal after guitar before the amp? Or a pedal put into eff loop?
Unread 07-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
BEHOLD KLUMPAMUS PRIME!

theunforgiven246 is just really nicetheunforgiven246 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
it means like getting an Ibanez tubescreamer of some kind of other pedal like that and setting using the volume of the pedal to boost the sound going into your amp, someone else will probably explain it better.

my girlfriend says i'm totally METAL!
balls.
theunforgiven246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #14
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
yeah, you´re correct on the booster... get an overdrive pedal, and set the gain on it almost all the way down, so it´s not doing any distorting of the sound... then, you turn down the gain of the amp down low...

here´s the fun part: twist the volume knob on the overdrive pedal really high... like all the way... then adjust the gain knob on the amp until you find a nice balance...

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2007, 07:39 AM   #15
Djentleman

angryman is just really niceangryman is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
You need a booster/overdrive pedal!

That will tighten up your tone a lot and give your tone a "healthier" low-end.

There are a lot of options available, like various Tubescreamers, Boss SD-1 etc.
+1

Listen to this man he speaks the truth.
Almost everyone on this forum uses some kind of overdrive as a clean boost for their rig!
angryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #16
ss.org Regular

Ok, I get it.

But, will the GT-8's help? I suppose I don't really want to buy another pedal if can emulate it on it.
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #17
KILL

Trivium KN is headed in the right direction.
The way to get the best sound i found is boost it with a tube screamer. Set your EQ to 6,6,6 (then set your pre gain to 3.5), then the amp has to be over 1 to have a good sound and full bass response. So usually I put mine a 2.1. Then at the end if you really still dont like this wicked tone, p.m. me CHEERS!!!
Trivium KN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #18
Lemme smang it girl!

TXDeathMetal is a glorious beacon of lightTXDeathMetal is a glorious beacon of lightTXDeathMetal is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Holy necrobump Batman!

point of advice, doing this will anger the mods.

"Fried or fertilized?"- Yung Humma
"Next installation, wire a BKP into a car horn circuit and djonk at people in traffic!"- Variant
"Please tell me theres a hot girl behind this post and we'll get married and I'll make you hate your vagina."- vampiregenocide
"Ah well. I must continue my search for a woman who is as big a douchebag as I am.- vampiregenocide

My Youtube Channel

David Shankle Is A Douche
TXDeathMetal is offline   Reply With Quote