homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-09-2007, 04:22 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

Brett89 is just really niceBrett89 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is the difference between the Spider and Flexton Line6 amps?

I don't find difference between them on their site. It has the same models? They're cost a bit more so they must be better then the Spider amps?
Brett89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-09-2007, 04:30 AM   #2
7 String Engineer

Martin_777 is just really niceMartin_777 is just really nice
The Flextones have more amps, cabs and effects aboard. You can control them via Midi whereas the Spiders only support the Line 6 Pedals.
The larger Spiders have a lot more Presets (songbased or designed by artists) than the Flextones.

You haven't seen me angry!
Martin_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
Cancer:The Crucifuct

Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Flextones also have more effects and you have alot more control over those effects, you also get more amp models and a greater ability to mix and match amp heads and cabinets.
Cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Spiders suck.

Flextones don't.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
BLOOOOM!

Cyanide_Anima is a splendid one to beholdCyanide_Anima is a splendid one to beholdCyanide_Anima is a splendid one to beholdCyanide_Anima is a splendid one to beholdCyanide_Anima is a splendid one to behold
i got a flextone 3 150watt. great amp. played a spider 120w at GC, and it sounded like a blubbery ass rippin' a nasty fart. flextone 3's have WAY better speakers.
Cyanide_Anima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide_Anima View Post
i got a flextone 3 150watt. great amp. played a spider 120w at GC, and it sounded like a blubbery ass rippin' a nasty fart. flextone 3's have WAY better speakers.
Best description I've seen.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Unread 05-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
President / RHLC

playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A couple hundred dollars?

Become one of us or die, ....ers. / Rick

RIP Garcia3441
playstopause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
ALL HAIL DJOD

Horrible tone.

Notice no pro guitarists use the Spiders live.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Unread 05-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #9
I poop in shoes.

nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The Spider's aren't really modelled after anything. The Flextones are. Also, the Flextones have many more ins/outs than the Spiders. Flextones are far superior IMO and they're some pretty nice amps.

I am the mask you wear.
nitelightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

starsnuffer is just really nicestarsnuffer is just really nice
Flextones sound a lot better. I even like the way the HD head sounds over a Vetta.

Then again, everything > line6, so YMMV

-W
starsnuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
Mid-Level Asshole

7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
my spider I shit out on my years ago for no reason, i took great care of it

Confront and Destroy!
7 Strings of Hate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #12

Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg7420user View Post
Horrible tone.

Notice no pro guitarists use the Spiders live.
That's like saying "pro guitarists don't use Peavey Backstage's live" or "little Crates with 5 inch speakers live". The Spider was designed, and is marketed as, a bedroom practice amp, as for that it does a pretty good job.
Unread 05-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #13
ALL HAIL DJOD

But they have them in a head version as well. I see your point, Psyphre.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Unread 05-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #14
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
flextones have more useable sounds. on gnet, one of the guys mainly records with his flextone II, and he gets some good tones! live, he uses his V3 or his carvin X100B or whichever.

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.
I use a Flextone II, and I get some really usable tones out of it. They're not the best amps around, but they sound OK and are really versatile. It's also quite good for recording. I've done a lot of recording with mine, and posted some clips in the recording studio, that might give you some kind of idea what they sound like (the clips aren't the best that a flextone can do, because my soundcard and mixing skills suck, and I record through the line out into the line in on my soundcard)

Now I lay me down to sleep
Blah, blah, blah my soul to keep
If I die before I wake
I'll go to hell for heaven's sake
Makelele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2007, 09:28 AM   #16
Poland CEO / RHLC

Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.
Quote:
agree... I saw a vid.. somewhere on you tube... #4 & #7 played some shit together.. used their normal guitars.. and spiders... sounded .. not so bad...

Lately i was testing a spider2 in a music shop... well... i didnt like it...

S7Figures.DeviantArt.com - Metal Figures!
Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2007, 09:40 AM   #17
dotlike

loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I own a Flextone II head, never played the combo amp. I've also played spider II combos. The difference is enormous. Spiders sound like toys; thin, buzzsaw distortion with uncontrolled low-end. The flextone head is really decent sounding. Compared it to a HD147, and the flextone wins clearly...
Anyway, stay away from those shitty sounding spider amps. Neglect the slipknot marketing whores...
loktide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #18

Quote:

Which confuses me to no end, and yet they still sell. I got my first half stack when I graduated high school, if the Spider head existed then I would have definitely picked it over what I had so (Carvin X100b).....
Unread 05-10-2007, 10:53 AM   #19
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyphre View Post
That's like saying "pro guitarists don't use Peavey Backstage's live" or "little Crates with 5 inch speakers live". The Spider was designed, and is marketed as, a bedroom practice amp, as for that it does a pretty good job.
Well, I think his explanation holds its own pretty well, even then - "What's the difference between Line6's practice amp and their "pro" one?"

Personally, I've been impressed by neither, but while I at least understand the appeal of the Flextones, the Spiders I've played are just really BAD for anything but like electronica/metal or nu-metal. They're serviceable as practice amps, but there are a number of non-modeling options in the same price range that I'd much rather have.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2007, 12:24 PM   #20
ALL HAIL DJOD

I had the Flextone II head and I loved it. Much better than the Spiders.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Unread 05-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #21
dotlike

loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Hey rg7420user, how would you compare your old FlexII to your -according to your sig- HD147?

I only played the HD147 thru a Hughes & Kettner greenback 4x12 once, and I wasn't that impressed- Not bad, but for metal tones I like the SLO100 and 95'rectoverb models on the Flextones better... As for the HD147, I think it was the Line6 treadplate model, I liked best (it was one at the upper left of the cab dial...)
loktide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #22
ALL HAIL DJOD

I absolutely love my HD147. More options on amps and effects and better distortion patches. I haven't even used the Line 6 Edit function yet, so that should be very interesting.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Unread 05-11-2007, 04:15 PM   #23
None shall pass.

eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I'd kill for an HD147 or a Vetta II HD.

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
eleven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #24
ALL HAIL DJOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven59 View Post
I'd kill for an HD147 or a Vetta II HD.
The Vetta is ....ing amazing. If you have the opportunity to buy it, get it.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Unread 05-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #25

Quote:
The Vetta is ....ing amazing. If you have the opportunity to buy it, get it.
Either the Vetta or the Axe FX is going to be my next modeller. Probably the Vetta, since the Axe FX doesn't have any synth sounds (too bad too, that unit looks killer). Just waiting 'til June rolls around as the rumor mill has it that Line 6 may be updating the Vetta line.