homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-07-2007, 12:57 AM   #1
Double Edge FTW

Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This post is for major Iced Earth fans

- Home

Helmut 'Larry' Grohmann finally has his own website up. I've been scouring the internet for info about his amps forever. And low and behold, turns out he joined Huge Racks Inc. in January of this year. He's posted tons of useful information for IE fans.

.... the H&K, I'll be buying one of these:

DINO 939
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-07-2007, 12:59 AM   #2

Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Yeah, I remember when someone posted the pics of these on HC like a year ago. For the price you could get a car though. Hope you have like $5k to blow.
Toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2007, 02:56 AM   #3
dpm
Oni Guitars

dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I had an interesting conversation with Tim Mills about the Iced Earth recording sessions. Apparently they had quite a few cabs running at once all mic'd with, IIRC, Royer ribbons.
dpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2007, 02:59 AM   #4
7 String Engineer

Martin_777 is just really niceMartin_777 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
On the ENGL Homepage I've seen a statement by Jon Schaffer about using ENGLs in his studio.

Quote:
"Engl Amps are truly one of the best companies on the market. Every model is proving to be a very useful tool in my studio's arsenal. From searing brutal metal sounds to rich harmonic distortion and even beautiful clean sounds, Engl covers all the bases!"
ENGL Amplification Website

You haven't seen me angry!
Martin_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2007, 04:27 AM   #5

Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_777 View Post
On the ENGL Homepage I've seen a statement by Jon Schaffer about using ENGLs in his studio.

Having heard their new single:

Larry > Engl

Seriously, "Something Wicked" has one of the best recorded guitar sounds ever, but then, they cost twice as much as the Engls.
Unread 05-07-2007, 04:55 AM   #6
7 String Engineer

Martin_777 is just really niceMartin_777 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshiro View Post

Larry > Engl

Seriously, "Something Wicked" has one of the best recorded guitar sounds ever, but then, they cost twice as much as the Engls.
Correctamente! "Dark Saga" and "Something Wiked" are my absolute favourites when it comes to rhythm guitar tones. At the moment I'm pretty happy with the rhythm tone I get from my ENGL Powerball so there is no need to buy a Larry Amp for me. So I saved another 5k. Yeehaw!

You haven't seen me angry!
Martin_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2007, 05:50 AM   #7
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshiro View Post

Larry > Engl
I dunno if thats an accurate relation though. something really sounds different about the technique he used to mute the stuff on the new single. like, it doesnt sound like it on the new song (still doesnt quite sound as good as it could...) But on the trilogy, it sounds like he just, well, pressed his hand into the strings when he was playing the riffs.
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2007, 05:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Ken View Post
I dunno if thats an accurate relation though. something really sounds different about the technique he used to mute the stuff on the new single. like, it doesnt sound like it on the new song (still doesnt quite sound as good as it could...) But on the trilogy, it sounds like he just, well, pressed his hand into the strings when he was playing the riffs.
I've heard the new trilogy is in Bb. That might have something to do with it.

Still SWTWC and Alive in Athens sound better that 90% of th Engl recordings I've heard, and that includes Scar Symmetry and their Fireball, IMO.

And there is a Larry on the new one, just mixed with the Engls. Jon was supposedly shopping for a 2nd amp tone for a while there.

But I don't think the Larry sounds $2k+ better than the Engl. Just like I don't think the Engls sound $1k+ better than a Laney.
Unread 05-07-2007, 06:51 AM   #9
ss.org Regular

Bartok is just really niceBartok is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_777 View Post

"Engl Amps are truly one of the best companies on the market. Every model is proving to be a very useful tool in my studio's arsenal. From searing brutal metal sounds to rich harmonic distortion and even beautiful clean sounds, Engl covers all the bases!"

That is such a cut and paste endorsement quote
Bartok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2007, 04:57 PM   #10
Double Edge FTW

Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Actually, in the thread on HRI, there's a guy named Bernie who apparently works for ENGL or something like that, and brought this point up, and the two of them have talked about this, because there's 3 sides to every story: Yours, theirs, and the truth. So who knows.

All I know is, Dark Saga, Something Wicked, and the first Demons & Wizards albums are my 2nd favorite tone of all time (2nd only to Metallica's Black Album). So buying this amp one day will happen for me.

And I'll be sure to post clips when I do!
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote