homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-01-2007, 12:48 AM   #1
Trippin' balls

Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to tube amp?

I think it would be cool if we had a stickied thread (or something) with all the info about tube amps (or just amps period). Like the do's and don't. How to see your cabs Ohms rating, what signs to look for on dead tubs, what tubs are good/bad. Basically everyhting having to do with do's and dont's and neat info.

That way people don't blow transformers out on their amps.lol

Well, I obviously don't know that much, so it's up to you guys to get it started (if you like the idea).

~Kotex

P.S.Mods please add an "S" to amp. lol Thanks

Too much blood in my alcohol system
Kotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-01-2007, 01:01 AM   #2
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 49 reviews
All you have to do to see your cabs Ohms rating is to look at the back of the cab.
zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 01:05 AM   #3

Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Don't turn your tube amp on without a load. Be that an attentuator run as a full load, or preferably a cabinet.

Always bias, or have a tech do it when changing power tubes, unless you've got a Mesa. This goes double for people with the EL34/5881 switches on their amps, this is not an auto bias! (I say this, because my Laney biased for 6L6s will run EL34 at almost double their correct mA if all you do is flip that switch. Bad-Bad-Bad.)

There's a start for you.
Toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 06:05 AM   #4
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
i donīt have a tube amp, and iīve always wondered what bias is on an amp... what do you do with the bias switch thingie, and why?
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 06:21 AM   #5

Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post
i donīt have a tube amp, and iīve always wondered what bias is on an amp... what do you do with the bias switch thingie, and why?
Simple answer: It's setting the idle current draw of the power tubes based on the plate voltage. Too hot and you get a mushy sound which eats tubes faster, too cold and you get "crossover distortion" and fizzyness, among other things. Of the 2, cold would be preferable, but neither is good.

Switches, like the EL34/5881 on a Laney GH50L, only get the amp's voltage and the internal trim pot into the range it needs to be in.

Google-fu answer:
http://www.athensmusician.net/archiv...4-23_tubes.php
Toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
Nov Schmoz Ka Pop?

Lord_Kain will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotex View Post
I think it would be cool if we had a stickied thread (or something) with all the info about tube amps (or just amps period). Like the do's and don't. How to see your cabs Ohms rating, what signs to look for on dead tubs, what tubs are good/bad. Basically everyhting having to do with do's and dont's and neat info.

That way people don't blow transformers out on their amps.lol

Well, I obviously don't know that much, so it's up to you guys to get it started (if you like the idea).

~Kotex

P.S.Mods please add an "S" to amp. lol Thanks
are you just posting this cause you blew up your amp by using an instrument cable instead of speaker cables?
Lord_Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
a n00b

spkenn5 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i definitely need some help on this.. im lookin for a combo tube.. but i dont know what's good for the money and about blowing the amp i'd hate to see that happen to me lol

Signature Removed - Image timed out after 4 seconds
spkenn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 03:40 PM   #8
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
it's a good idea, but it's what the whole Gear forum is for . most of us (myself included) run tube amps, so any specific questions you've got, try doing a forum search. if you can't find the topic discussed before, start a new one.

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
Trippin' balls

Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
It wasn't really for me, but just for everybody. I already know what I did wrong and what to do now and all that good stuff. I was making so you could collect into one thread, that way you don't need to search all over. Like we have the pick-up thread and so on.

Too much blood in my alcohol system
Kotex is offline   Reply With Quote