homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
SS Contributor

kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Best speakers to run with a 5150???

I've got a 5150 combo and I run it into a Marshall 1960AX top (greenbacks).
For 80's type of metal and fusion and most shred I love it.
For my 7 string I'm not so sure if the greenbacks are a good match for
the lower range. what do you guys think is a good speaker match for a 5150 and a 7 string.
playing stuff like Nevermore/Planet-X/Arch Enemy/Inflames/Dream theater/SYL etc.
muchos gracias.

Axe Fx II in da house
Mark IV in da House
JVM in da House
kmanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-20-2007, 02:51 PM   #2

Eric is the epitome of metal.Eric is the epitome of metal.Eric is the epitome of metal.Eric is the epitome of metal.Eric is the epitome of metal.Eric is the epitome of metal.Eric is the epitome of metal.Eric is the epitome of metal.Eric is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
I play Vintage 30s with my 7s and dual rec and love them.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
Giant Fridge Magnet

Ishan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Celestion Century Vintage, they sound like a V30 with better bass and are VERY light (those use neodymium magnet wich are very powerfull, so they don't need to be as big)

Current rig : Agile Intrepid Pro with Lace Aluma Deathbar pickup -> Eleven Rack + TC G-Major -> ESI Near 5 Experience
My string tension calculator STC - supports most D'addarrio and Circle K Strings
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
SS Contributor

kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.
I could kick myself, I had an Avatar 2x2 cab (wired for 16 ohms too) with 2 hellatone V30's in it tht I used to use with my 5150 combo and I sold it once I got my Marshall cab. I didn't have a 7 at the time.
anyone here try a mixed cab with their 7's (V30/g12h30 combination)?
Avatar loves that mix but I wonder how it will sound with a 7?

Axe Fx II in da house
Mark IV in da House
JVM in da House
Unread 04-20-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
ss.org Regular

thor von clemson is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
kmanick, I have an Avatar 2x12 with Hellatone v30's in it, black with black cloth grill and wired for 8 ohms I am looking to sell if you are interested..pm me if you wanna know more.

I love the way my 5150 sound with sheffield speakers. I have a 2x12 cab with old sheffield 1234's or something like that in it and they get along real well.

After Simon bites that Skeletonís face in half, he is going to rape that hydra. Thatís how Simon rolls..
thor von clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2007, 10:49 PM   #6
SS Contributor

thanks Zach, but I think I may look into a cab with C90's before I make any decisions.
I have no experience with Eminence speakers either, so I want to look into those as well.
I also need a 16 ohm cab ( I use a 16 ohm hotplate)

Axe Fx II in da house
Mark IV in da House
JVM in da House
Unread 04-21-2007, 12:22 AM   #7
SS Contributor

ohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Eminence's web page has sound clips. It's useful in hearing the differences between speakers.

If the C90 interests you then the Celestion Classic Lead 80 is worth looking into as well.
ohio_eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 01:12 AM   #8
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
The C90 would be an excellent decision for a 5150. The 5150 and Dual Rec share a lot in common with the SLO 100. Rectos sound great with C90s, and as such, so do 5150's.

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 08:19 AM   #9
SS Contributor

Dave does anyone make a cab that is already loaded with C90's
or am I going to have to go custom route to get one?

Axe Fx II in da house
Mark IV in da House
JVM in da House
Unread 04-21-2007, 01:56 PM   #10
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i think the mesa cab w/ C90's cost the same as the V30 version, but i dont know much bout mesa lol

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #11
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
^ Yes. The cost is identical, since the speaker cost is identical. You just have to order it that way.

As C90s are only available from Mesa, they are the only cabs that come stock with them. You can, however, order raw speakers from any Mesa dealer.

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 04:39 PM   #12
col
blah.

col is just really nicecol is just really nice
As stated before Century Vintages or P50E's that are in VHT cabs. I use a Fatbottom with mine and it sounds great.
col is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 06:08 PM   #13
ss.org Regular

Axel is a jewel in the rough
Interesting, I posted the same question a week ago and got lots of orange supporters... where are they now?
I have an old block 5150 which I love but my speaker blew a week ago so I'm also wondering what works best for it. I honestly didn't think much of speakers when I started out. I figured as long as its a high quality brand it's all good and the difference won't be that much but boy was I wrong
I compared the 6505 cab with a mesa cab today in guitar center running a 6505 head and the difference was enormous. I just wish I coulda cranked it a little more.
I liked the slightly better clarity of the mesa, but it did seem to have quite high mids and gave the 6505 a kind of mesa boogieish sound which made me realize how much of that mesa sound comes from the cab.
I wish I knew someone with an orange cab so I could keep making comparisons and finding exactly what suits me most. I heard about a dealer up north that carries bogners so I hope to check that out sometime soon too.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #14
Banned

Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Interesting, I posted the same question a week ago and got lots of orange supporters... where are they now?
Did you not ask about cabs (Orange) rather than speakers?
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #15
ss.org Regular

Axel is a jewel in the rough
Both actually. I was considering switching the blown speakers or getting a new cab alltogether.
Now I have no clue haha. I'm thinking I'll just replace the speakers for new sheffields and keep testing out different cabs for a future purchase.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #16
New found sanity

Grom is a glorious beacon of lightGrom is a glorious beacon of lightGrom is a glorious beacon of light
I'd really like to know how the Vader cabs (with 4 Eminence 120) are like, but finding them in Europe is as easy as finding a British chick not drunk on a saturday night.

"Be smart and I'll .... you over - sayeth the Lord". Frank Zappa
Grom is offline   Reply With Quote