homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #26
not that good.

will_shred is a glorious beacon of lightwill_shred is a glorious beacon of lightwill_shred is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Does anyone have experience with Emminance Cannabis Rex speakers?

I play mostly stoner metal, so it seems appropriate. The speakers in my Blackstar are very treble heavy, and have somewhat scooped miss.
will_shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #27
SS.org Regular

viesczy is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Emi Legend V12s.

Emi Legend 1518s.

The speakers all others wish they were!

Yeah, I'm a fanboy!

Derek
cGoEcYk likes this.
viesczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #28
not quite a shredder

VBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Aside from v30s, ive had good luck with eminence Wizards and the B52 AT1216 speakers that come in the at100 cabs.

Most disappointing for me was the Swamp Thang. I've heard much worse, but for a high end speaker i was not liking them

Ibanez ARZ307, ICEMAN IC400, RG921F-BK
Frknstrt of Doom, MIM FSR Strat
POD HD Pro, Mesa 50/50, Recto 2x12,1x12,Theile
Randal Diavlo V30 1x12
VBCheeseGrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #29
tmo
This is Blue Pain..t

tmo is a jewel in the rough
Hi, last year I made 2 1x12 cabs out of plywood and since my experience with guitar speakers and cabs was totally zero, I went blind folded to Cellestions Vintage Century. They are ultra light, weight wise when compared to V30, and have some very interesting response on all frequencies. The Cabs they are mounted on are some how longer than the expected, so this may filter or modulate part of its response, but they sound huge and defined either be it metal shuggah shuggah or subtle jazzy tones. I am using a Mesa rig, made of a triaxis and a 2:50...

The link needed for those curious on these ones:
Classic - G12 Century Vintage - Celestion - Guitar, Bass & Pro Audio Speakers
tmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #30
LP Addict

TylerRay is a jewel in the rough
I've had the Eminence Texas Heat 12's in my cab for a long time, but I haven't really compared them to anything else side by side. They do sound great though haha
TylerRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #31
SS.org Regular

Wrecklyss is just really niceWrecklyss is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_shred View Post
Does anyone have experience with Emminance Cannabis Rex speakers?

I play mostly stoner metal, so it seems appropriate. The speakers in my Blackstar are very treble heavy, and have somewhat scooped miss.
The Cannabis Rex is a dark, loud speaker with it's own unique "texture." Fat lows, warm mids, and sparkly yet slightly subdued highs. It has a slower break up than other similar speakers. Would be awesome with the Wizard or Texas Heat.

Eminence speakers really do need a proper break in though. If you have a high powered stereo receiver, i recommend hooking it up to the driver for about 36-72 hours gradually increasing the volume. Doing this will make it sound much better when you go to play guitar through it the first time.

capeterson7x@gmail.com
Custom tour ready speaker cabinets for instruments and live sound.
Authorized dealer for: Celestion, Eminence, Jensen, JBL/Selenium, Sica, Peavey, RCF, B&C, and more.
Wrecklyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #32
SS.org Regular

warlock7strEMG is a jewel in the rough
I really dig V30's in certain cabs, such as Orange and Mesa Recto cabs. With that said, it's got a lot of rattiness that I don't like and for a speaker so expensive, it's pretty imperfect. I've never played the Eminence Governors but they seem like a less ratty but equally as midrangey and cutting V30 from what I've read and the clips I've heard. When I finally muster up the balls to buy some for my GFlex I have a feeling they will end up being my favorite speaker.

As far as speakers I have actually played on, here are some of my faves.
-Legend V12: played through these speakers in a Krank Rev cab. Once with my Peavey Butcher and another time with a KT88 loaded JCM 800. The speakers have a slight Britishness in the mids but are much cleaner, tighter and smoother than any Celestion that I have ever played through. This speaker sound a little bit like what I was hoping to the K100 would sound like; slightly bumped up mids and low mids but otherwise pretty balanced and smooth with a lot of balls and no speaker break up; super clear sounding!!

-Texas Heat: handles ALOT of power so I imagine that you need at least 100 watts of tube to get them moving enough to not sound sterile. But in a Kstein cab under a cranked up Krank Rev1 or Kstein Plus they sound fantastic. Really full sounding yet smooth on the high-end but pretty aggressive. Reminds me of a V12 but more aggressive in the mids yet still smooth and dark all the treble side of things somehow; also very clear sounding.

-G12M Greenback: this speaker has warmth and mids for days! I used to play in a band with the guy who used a boosted superlead through a cab loaded with these speakers. It was one of the best guitar tones I have ever heard. The speakers break up but it's a very very nice break up. If the speakers handle more than 25 watts I would probably have a cab loaded with you, however both of my amps are over 100 watts so it would not be beneficial. And also if they handle more than 25 W they may not break up the way they do which is part of why I like them!!

-Genz Benz Eminence-made GBE 1240 V75 (G flex stock speakers): after playing on a G flex 2 12 again this weekend with the stock speakers, it made me realize how much I am missing out by not having the stock speakers in my G flex 412. Though it is hard to say because they were in a different cabinet than the V12's I played on before, the speakers sound a lot like the V12. I have a feeling that for the sake of complementing the huge low end of G flex that they were voiced to not have as much low-end as the V12. But in the G flex cab they sound huge! Really full and smooth sound with tons of clarity. I am hoping to score a quad of these speakers sometime soon for my cab, however if I do not I suppose then I will just go with the V12's. Or maybe x patterned mix of the V12's and governors. Who knows?!

On a side note, I am not a fan of the K100's. To me they have the papery rattiness of a Celestion but with out the cool break up and mid range of one. It's everything I hate about a Celestion with nothing i like about one. Not to mention really sterile and bland. Nice lows and that really it. To me it sounds a little like an improved G 12 T 75, which isn't saying much as I hate that speaker. The only reason I keep my K100 loaded cab is because it actually sounds good with my Butcher. That's the only amp I have actually heard the speaker sound good with. It doesn't all that good with my Krank or with my buddies 6505+. They sound good in my guitar players cab which is loaded with K100's/V30's in x pattern; makes sense because that is the only time I like the T 75's, when mixed with the 30s.
cGoEcYk likes this.
warlock7strEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #33
Bastard of Thousands

ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Vader Cabs Eminence Legends & Celestion "Hot 100"
ridner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #34
Blood_Lust:Unlimited

op1e is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCheeseGrater View Post
Aside from v30s, ive had good luck with eminence Wizards and the B52 AT1216 speakers that come in the at100 cabs.

Most disappointing for me was the Swamp Thang. I've heard much worse, but for a high end speaker i was not liking them
Those AT1216 speakers are great, best "stock" driver ever. Although lacking in lows a bit but that could be the cab.

Help!!! All guitars stolen. Pics and serial numbers here;
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/mem...s-guitars.html

Like my band! BLu
op1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #35
Theta Sagan Swords

mcleanab is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I currently use a Swamp Thang in my ISP Theta Combo... smooth, dark and rich.

I had a Governor in there for a bit, and I'm thinking about trying it out again now that I've lived with the Swamp Thang in there for a while.

I loved my Swamp Thang/Wizard and Swamp Thang/Governor combination I had in my two 2x12's... an excellent blend of textures.
cGoEcYk likes this.

=========================================
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Impression, ISP Theta Combo!!! Lexicon MPX-1, MPX-G2, ADA GCS-2, Aria Diamond with EMG 85, Ibanez Semi-Hollow with EMG HA and HAX, Charvel Wild Card Pro Mod #6 Dreamsicle with EMG 57 and SAVX, Eminence Swamp Thang and Eminence Sub Woofer!
mcleanab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #36
Pron

cGoEcYk is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanab View Post
Swamp Thang/Governor combination I had in my two 2x12's... an excellent blend of textures.
Swamp/Gov is such a massive combination. How was the Swamp/Wizard in comparison?
cGoEcYk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #37
Theta Sagan Swords

mcleanab is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cGoEcYk View Post
Swamp/Gov is such a massive combination. How was the Swamp/Wizard in comparison?
The Wizard has a bit more 'sparkle' than the Governor... but it was a great blend as well with the Swamp Thang. If I remember correctly, the Wizard seemed to "sit on top of" the Swamp Thang rather than blending that the Governor did... it wasn't bad, but the frequencies seemed a touch more separate for lack of a better term. I enjoyed both of them immensely, but I do recall hearing a bit more highs with the Wizard.
cGoEcYk likes this.

=========================================
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Impression, ISP Theta Combo!!! Lexicon MPX-1, MPX-G2, ADA GCS-2, Aria Diamond with EMG 85, Ibanez Semi-Hollow with EMG HA and HAX, Charvel Wild Card Pro Mod #6 Dreamsicle with EMG 57 and SAVX, Eminence Swamp Thang and Eminence Sub Woofer!
mcleanab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #38
SS.org Regular

NinjaRaf is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Eminence Legend V12s are my favorite speakers. Very neutral and balanced, tight and clear while sounding really huge.
cGoEcYk likes this.
NinjaRaf is offline   Reply With Quote