homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

pat7string is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Peavey 6505+ speaker recommendation / WGS or other brand

Hi!
I need some advices for my upcoming purchase ! I went through many threads and didnt find one that answer my questions.

I have a peavey 6505+ 120w head (bias modded/ mercury magnetic output and power trannys + added choke and preamp/power tubes upgraded) and a Vader Carnage strain 4x12 cab ( 8 ohm/close-back). The Vader came w/ 2x Eminence man-o-war and 2x Eminence Legends (Custom made for vader.. High power handling/very flat eq response) in a X pattern.

While this combo sounded VERY good.... It lacks a bit of character ! The Legends are really neutral sounding. I swapped them for 2 celestion G12K-100 I had in a Marshall Mode four cab and Big improvement ! but I would like to change the Man-o-War with something with more midrange and a bit brighter. I play from E standard to Drop C with my 6strings and down to Drop G# w/ my 7string so I definitly need a speaker that can handle low tuning well. I play technical/death metal with my band with a lot of palm muting (slow and fast) so articulation/bass tightness/clarity/mids to cut through is a must. At home, I like to play stuff like Opeth/Soen and more modern stuff like August Burns Red and Whitechapel.

First I was looking at the Vet 30 from WGS and then I discovered the Retro 30... So now, I can't choose between them .. I was about to order a Retro 30 but i'm scared it would be too bright for my setup.. My amp isnt overly bright but it sure isnt on the ''dark'' side. The amp is not as bright than stock due to the bias mod getting rid of the ''crossover distortion'' and tubes upgrade. (TAD power tube/ sovtek lps in PI / Tung-sol in V1). Not as bright as let say.. an ENGL but brighter than a Mesa dual rectifier.

So yeah... all that to say: vet 30 or retro 30 ? or any other suggestions are more than welcome !

Ps.: If it can help.. my 7s is a Agile Septor 727 w/BKP Painkiller set. String-thru/Fixed Bridge/Neck-thru/ Mahogany body and Ebony fretboard. It's the guitar I use with my band.

Thanks to all,
Best Regards

Patrick Leroux
pat7string is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

NinjaRaf is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Do you still have the Eminence Legends? I have a pair of V30s (Hellatone 60s, actually) that I would trade for them. Just by the thread title, I was going to suggest eminence legend V12s lol, but you definitely want some sort of V30 thing if you want some brighter character. Retro 30s are supposed to be closer to the actual V30s than the vet30s. Vet30s are sorta V30s with a tamed midrange spike. I liked the Vet30s I had. Haven't tried the retros, though.
NinjaRaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

pat7string is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRaf View Post
Do you still have the Eminence Legends? I have a pair of V30s (Hellatone 60s, actually) that I would trade for them. Just by the thread title, I was going to suggest eminence legend V12s lol, but you definitely want some sort of V30 thing if you want some brighter character. Retro 30s are supposed to be closer to the actual V30s than the vet30s. Vet30s are sorta V30s with a tamed midrange spike. I liked the Vet30s I had. Haven't tried the retros, though.
Yes, but maybe one of my friend will buy them this week.. If he doesnt i'll let you know for sure !
pat7string is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

geoffshreds has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat7string View Post
Hi!
I need some advices for my upcoming purchase ! I went through many threads and didnt find one that answer my questions.

I have a peavey 6505+ 120w head (bias modded/ mercury magnetic output and power trannys + added choke and preamp/power tubes upgraded) and a Vader Carnage strain 4x12 cab ( 8 ohm/close-back). The Vader came w/ 2x Eminence man-o-war and 2x Eminence Legends (Custom made for vader.. High power handling/very flat eq response) in a X pattern.

While this combo sounded VERY good.... It lacks a bit of character ! The Legends are really neutral sounding. I swapped them for 2 celestion G12K-100 I had in a Marshall Mode four cab and Big improvement ! but I would like to change the Man-o-War with something with more midrange and a bit brighter. I play from E standard to Drop C with my 6strings and down to Drop G# w/ my 7string so I definitly need a speaker that can handle low tuning well. I play technical/death metal with my band with a lot of palm muting (slow and fast) so articulation/bass tightness/clarity/mids to cut through is a must. At home, I like to play stuff like Opeth/Soen and more modern stuff like August Burns Red and Whitechapel.

First I was looking at the Vet 30 from WGS and then I discovered the Retro 30... So now, I can't choose between them .. I was about to order a Retro 30 but i'm scared it would be too bright for my setup.. My amp isnt overly bright but it sure isnt on the ''dark'' side. The amp is not as bright than stock due to the bias mod getting rid of the ''crossover distortion'' and tubes upgrade. (TAD power tube/ sovtek lps in PI / Tung-sol in V1). Not as bright as let say.. an ENGL but brighter than a Mesa dual rectifier.

So yeah... all that to say: vet 30 or retro 30 ? or any other suggestions are more than welcome !

Ps.: If it can help.. my 7s is a Agile Septor 727 w/BKP Painkiller set. String-thru/Fixed Bridge/Neck-thru/ Mahogany body and Ebony fretboard. It's the guitar I use with my band.

Thanks to all,
Best Regards

Patrick Leroux
i also use a 6505+ head, and just recently put together a custom 4x12 cab with 2 Retro 30s and 2 Liberators....obviously you already know about the Retro 30s (excited highs/low)..so i decided to pair the liberators with the retro 30s because of their beefed mids... i can say that this is the most responsive cab i have ever used... these speakers seem very sensitive to amp EQ, which i find to be awesome!
I wouldnt say the retro 30s are harsh, but i did have to dial back the highs a bit from what I'm used to. Before, with my celestion 70/80s i would run the Highs around 7 on my amp, where as i run them around 5 now. The lows are tight, and not boomy. And they get deeper the lower you tune. They handle G perfectly, awesome chugging. I usually just stick to A standard. But even Drop C sounds massive out of these!
But man, the liberators really make you cut through the mix!
I havent experimented with tons of speakers, but this is the best sounding cab ive ever owned...and i prefer it to the sound of my friends mesa 4x12 w/ vintage 30s
I'd definitely say give WGS a shot...and if you dont like them, they have an awesome exchange policy.

oh and i play death metal in vein of Cannibal Corpse, Nile, etc. to give you an idea of what i put these things through
geoffshreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 02:27 AM   #5
blood junkie

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
Those hellatone 60's would really fit your need to mix great with the k100's.
Just broken-in v30's from avatar speakers.
TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote