homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By casketshrine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

Arzghaal is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engl e530 (with vht 2/50/2) vs Engl Powerball 2

hey guys i just wanna ask what are the advantages and the disadvanteges of the rack combination or just what would you prefer and why thanks i hope you can help me out cheers
Arzghaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-10-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

casketshrine is a jewel in the rough
I use my E530 with a Mesa 50/50 and sometimes through the power section of my JVM 205H. It does NOT sound exactly like a Powerball II. It does have resemblance to Powerball/Savage style tone but E530 has a tone of its own which slightly alters depending on the poweramp you run it with.

That being said, it sounds ....ing great with Mesa 50/50 and I've tried it with a buddy's 2/50/2 set up and it sounded killer with it too. 2/50/2 is a better poweramp.

The advantages of a rack system depend on your application. The biggest advantage for me is the flexibility. I can use different poweramps with the E530 and also be able to use my Axe Fx Ultra with Mesa 50/50 if I want to. Also, if you don't like E530's tone for whatever reason or if it breaks (which is unlikely), you can sell it off and buy some other preamp to hook up with your poweramp. With a head, you get the complete package, a unit with a sound of its own. However, as mentioned earlier if something goes wrong with the either the pre or power section, you are stuck with it. With the separate pre & power amp set up, you can replace either one. I do have a couple JVM heads though and I wanted a rack option on the side so I went this route for a change.
mcleanab likes this.
casketshrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Theta Sagan Swords

mcleanab is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I dig the snot out of my e530...

I haven't used a head in years, but I do love the flexibility with my rack set up for sure...

=========================================
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Impression, ISP Theta Combo!!! Lexicon MPX-1, MPX-G2, ADA GCS-2, Aria Diamond with EMG 85, Ibanez Semi-Hollow with EMG HA and HAX, Charvel Wild Card Pro Mod #6 Dreamsicle with EMG 57 and SAVX, Charvel SD-1 HS with EMG 57 and SAV, Eminence Swamp Thang and Eminence Sub Woofer!
mcleanab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
dotlike

loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
the powerball 2 is voiced much darker than the the e530.

otherwise, they both share the same overgained and processed 'ENGL sound'.
loktide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
mids are overrated

MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.
You'll want some sort of noise gate with the e530 (the PBII has a built in one but I can't speak to how well it works).

I like the rack setup because you can mix and match parts (after a while you might want to swap in a different power amp or preamp). Plus, you can buy a rack effects unit and have it all in one spot. Rack + cab.

Some people prefer going the head route because it's all in one. But if you want to add anything else, you'll be putting together a pedal board or a rack and now you have lots of things to haul around (unless you get a fancy road case that has a spot for the head and rack equip.)
MetalDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
Balls

Krigloch the Furious is a jewel in the rough
I've never heard an e530, but I bet it sounds amazing with a vht or mesa 50/50
Im just wondering how it would be with a Rocktron Velocity300
Krigloch the Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Theta Sagan Swords

mcleanab is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigloch the Furious View Post
I've never heard an e530, but I bet it sounds amazing with a vht or mesa 50/50
Im just wondering how it would be with a Rocktron Velocity300
I'm running mine with a Velocity 100 and it sounds amazing...

I also use just a touch of the Optical Big Bottom on my Aphex 204 which I'm guessing is very similar to the Reactance on the Velocity 300.

=========================================
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Impression, ISP Theta Combo!!! Lexicon MPX-1, MPX-G2, ADA GCS-2, Aria Diamond with EMG 85, Ibanez Semi-Hollow with EMG HA and HAX, Charvel Wild Card Pro Mod #6 Dreamsicle with EMG 57 and SAVX, Charvel SD-1 HS with EMG 57 and SAV, Eminence Swamp Thang and Eminence Sub Woofer!
mcleanab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
Balls

Krigloch the Furious is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanab View Post
I'm running mine with a Velocity 100 and it sounds amazing...

I also use just a touch of the Optical Big Bottom on my Aphex 204 which I'm guessing is very similar to the Reactance on the Velocity 300.

Awesome. Just what I wanted to hear!
I will get one, one of these days
Krigloch the Furious is offline   Reply With Quote