homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Blood_Lust:Unlimited

op1e is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NPAD (90'S Marshall Content)

Marshall 9005 power amp with new quad of 6CA7 power tubes. Bought this on evilbay, got it yesterday. Wanted something I could put bigger power tubes in and keep everything racked for convenience and easier transport. Not by much, but a little smaller footprint, slightly lighter, and no more plugging patch cables into fx loop and input for setup. Just roll up and plug in speaker cables and power. Enough, onto obligatory cat/knife/item picstory...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0260.jpg (604.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0261.jpg (772.9 KB, 49 views)
op1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #2

Well, gettin this dialed in and the bbe and g major are probably not needed. A/B'd with my Peavey and I can tell I miss the bottom end of 6L6's. Gonna contact a tech out by Cleveland about doing the resistor mod so I can get KT88's in it, plus adding a deep mod (resonance).

One thing I definitely found out, however, as good as the gsp 1101 is, its not the same as a real tube preamp. There's a harshness I can't dial out. Maybe its the G12m 70's in the cab. Next stop is hopefully a Rockmaster, but I'm intrigued by the Blackstar preamp pedals. Anybody used the DISTX as a preamp before? I read the HT-5 is the HT-Dual pedal + a power section, but I dont need the 2 channels of the Dual and couldn't change them anyway cause it will stay in the rack.
Unread 08-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
Tears Are My Bidet

HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by op1e View Post
Maybe its the G12m 70's
I say try a cab with different speakers. Im not a fan of those speakers at all due to the mid scoop they have.
HeHasTheJazzHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #4

Modern Lead 70's are scooped like T75's, then? The thing I fight with is they dont sound full, and when I add mids it gets harsh. Trying the 5150 model set to 6-6-6 with the ts set to gain 0, tone 80, level 99. Was easier to dial in ok with the Peavey Ultra, modelling is less forgiving.
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Tears Are My Bidet

HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.
Oh whoops... was thinking of the 75s...

But if I remember, the 70s are pretty bad.
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #6

Ya, I guess its time to order speakers. Shoulda used my money for a Mesa cab, but this power amp was beckoning. Guy at work has my old mkiii and wont sell it. This is basically two of those power sections from what I read. Probably gonna have to go Eminence for affordability and the Zzounds payment thing. I was thinking Texas Heat/Swamp Thang, but now I'm leaning more toward Governor/Swamp Thang or Governor/Wizard combo. Sucks cause I had them up for sale and didn't notice a reply email for 2 days. Guy was gonna trade me 4 Governors or Governor Wizard set. They were sold by the time I replied
Unread 08-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #7

^Echo in here? What I meant was when I get it dialed from not enough mids to the proper amount, when I stand across the room to listen to the amp it sounds rough.
Unread 08-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Tears Are My Bidet

Quote:
Originally Posted by op1e View Post
^Echo in here? What I meant was when I get it dialed from not enough mids to the proper amount, when I stand across the room to listen to the amp it sounds rough.
Spam bot. Ignore it.