homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By VBCheeseGrater
  • 1 Post By ConnorGilks
  • 1 Post By Wrecklyss
  • 1 Post By VESmedic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
not quite a shredder

VBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Post Good article about speaker cabinets.

As someone who has never really worried about the type of cab i'm using until recently, this was a very informative article.

GuitarPlayer: All About Speaker Cabinets

I checked to see if it had already been posted here, and found it in the corner of a thread back in 2007, so thought i'd share...enjoy
Imbrium998 likes this.

Ibanez ARZ307, ICEMAN IC400, RG921F-BK
Frknstrt of Doom, MIM FSR Strat
POD HD Pro, Mesa 50/50, Recto 2x12,1x12,Theile
Randal Diavlo V30 1x12
VBCheeseGrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
I suck at guitar.

ConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thank you man, I'm in the market for my first cab so this is perfect. Thank you!
VBCheeseGrater likes this.
ConnorGilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

Wrecklyss is just really niceWrecklyss is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Good article, thanks for posting.

I'm surprised they didn't discuss the differences between front mounting and rear mounting drivers though. Front mounted speakers tend to have more clarity, articulation, and sweetness while rear mounted speakers have more warmth, tightness, and depth.
VBCheeseGrater likes this.

capeterson7x@gmail.com
Custom tour ready speaker cabinets for instruments and live sound.
Authorized dealer for: Celestion, Eminence, Jensen, JBL/Selenium, Sica, Peavey, RCF, B&C, and more.
Wrecklyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
not quite a shredder

VBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to all
^^ thanks for the info - im not sure ive seen a rear mounted speaker. Or maybe i have and don't realize it? Whats an example of one?

Randal Diavlo V30 1x12
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

cardinal is just really nicecardinal is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Mesa and Marshall cabs, for example, are rear loaded. Fryette and at leat some Engls, on the other hand, are front loaded.

Wish the article had discussed the impact of varying specific dimensions (like increasing the height/length vs increasing the depth).
cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

VESmedic is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecklyss View Post
Good article, thanks for posting.

I'm surprised they didn't discuss the differences between front mounting and rear mounting drivers though. Front mounted speakers tend to have more clarity, articulation, and sweetness while rear mounted speakers have more warmth, tightness, and depth.

For what it's worth, this information is quite inaccurate. Front loaded cabs are much tighter and punchier. Front loaded cabs are the tightest and clearest cabs available. They also, most definitely do NOT have more sweetness. This is a term used to describe amps that are softer, with more rounded mids usually. something Front loaded cabs are not known for. Quite the opposite actually.

The biggest dfiference between rear and front loaded cabs, is how they will project the sound at you. You will notice front loaded cabs seem much more in your face, aggressive, and punchier. palm mutes will hit you much harder, and will seem MUCH tigther, and have more authority. They tend to be much more focused in all frequencies, and are much more in your face as said earlier. Front Loaded, in my opinion, is the way to go for modern metal tones, and to keep your bottom end as tight as possible when using low tuned/ 7 string guitars.
glpg80 likes this.
VESmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

VESmedic is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCheeseGrater View Post
^^ thanks for the info - im not sure ive seen a rear mounted speaker. Or maybe i have and don't realize it? Whats an example of one?

The longer you are around the guitar world, the easier you will be able to resight what cabs are what. Mesas, Marshalls etc are all rear loaded, while VHT/Fryette, some ENgls, and some diezels (they make either/or, depending on what you want) are front loaded. The easiest way to tell is, well, visually. Rear loaded cabinets will have screws in the back of the cab, making the back panel removable, and able to remove speakers this way. These are rear loaded cabinets. Front loaded will have a completely sealed back, unable to take off anything in the back, or the speakers out that way. Speakers are only removable from the back.

Another advantage I like with front loaded cabs is, the grille is removable, usually held in place by velcroe, making micing miking techniques/abilities easier IMO. You can really see exactly where you placing the diaphgram in relation to the speaker cone.
VESmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
not quite a shredder

^^^ Gotcha, makes perfect sense now, and yes, i've seen both. I was picturing a speaker mounted to the rear panel or something crazy like that. Thanks for the clarification.

Randal Diavlo V30 1x12