homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Augminished Studio

Augminished is a glorious beacon of lightAugminished is a glorious beacon of lightAugminished is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up NAD: Kemper Profiling Amp (Black Version with Pics)

This is a very interesting piece of gear. It is similar to the Axe but very different at the same time. I have only played with the stock presets mainly the mesa. The mesa sounds pretty good but I want to download some presets and make some of my own before I decide to keep it or not. Some of the really cool features is being about to control the pick attack, clarity and definition. I have not gotten those dialed in yet but I think they will yield some cool tones. The LED's are very bright and track the controls really well. I have not profiled anything yet but it looks like an easy process. It doesn't weigh anything which is a pleasant surprise and the leather strap is is nice.

I do wish the thing had phantom power though. That would be to easy though It takes about 1 minute to turn on. It doesn't bother me because I don't think I will use it live. But I see how that could be an issue.

Is it better than the axe? I don't know yet. I need to play with it more. But now, I consider it different.
evilsaint likes this.

Check out my Facebook: Augminished-Studio

Augminished is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Murder Machine

Sepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
really can't wait until this shit is approved in canada and we can start getting our hands on them, soon as they are Available at L&M, i'm there in a flash
Augminished likes this.

BEARDS: They Instantly Turn Any Man Into A Badass, It's Like Having Machine Guns On Your Face
Sepultorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
Augminished Studio

Augminished is a glorious beacon of lightAugminished is a glorious beacon of lightAugminished is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultorture View Post
really can't wait until this shit is approved in canad and we can start getting our hands on them, soon as they are Available at L&M, i'm there in a flash
Definitely worth the wait. I am liking it more and more as I screw around on it. It does a ton. Another sick thing is that you use a flash drive or hard drive to load presets, updates and to backup the unit. That is a big +1 to me

Unread 07-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
ss.org Regular

Dwangtwang is a jewel in the rough
Remember as well that the 'amp' block in theory yeilds no tonal qualities whatsoever. Therefor, if you REALLY want to "sound" like a RECTO thru a V30 loaded ENGL cab but 'feel' or 'react' like a Bassman with a Fuzz - for example - that could be totally achieved.
Augminished likes this.
Dwangtwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
Assman McTrollster

axxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to all
Quote:
really can't wait until this shit is approved in canada and we can start getting our hands on them, soon as they are Available at L&M, i'm there in a flash
Hope you're not in my town, or else we will be battling for who buys the first one!!
Augminished likes this.

The WIP Thread
Give feedback to others, and get some in return on your works in progress!

musical exploration - Check out my site.
check it out! [ SoundCloud ] [ YouTube Channel ][ Instagram ]

Looking for great strings for your ERG?
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sig...pic36618_2.gif
axxessdenied is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

WolleK is a jewel in the rough
Still no sale in canada?
Augminished likes this.
WolleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

VESmedic is a jewel in the rough
Wait till you download some of the user presets, diesels, Engls, fryette/VHT etc... I'm completely blown away. Sold my entire rack and almost everything I owned.
Augminished likes this.
VESmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
Augminished Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
Wait till you download some of the user presets, diesels, Engls, fryette/VHT etc... I'm completely blown away. Sold my entire rack and almost everything I owned.
I have found some really cool ones so far. Which presets did you find the most appealing?

Unread 07-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augminished View Post
I have found some really cool ones so far. Which presets did you find the most appealing?

First and foremost, get on the kemper amp forum, you will learn ALOT. The thing is incredibly easy to use, and the controls are incredibly powerful, all of them. I absolutely love the fortin models, the Diezel Herbert ones (there are TONS of them) are, in my opinion, spot ....ing on to a herbert. I had a herbert for over a year, and gigged with it, and it is ridiculous hearing my amp through the kemper, it is that good in my opinion. the palm mutes feel like it, adding a boost in the front end with the kempers simulated OD's feels just like using my maxon 808. just a word of advice though, the "green scream" model is an 808, but it is much more powerful than a regular 808, especially the tone knob on it. at half way, that is like a regular 808 with it at full, same thing with the level knob. I generally run the tone extremely lower (9 oclock max) and the level around 2 oclock, as it can get overly clicky with some of the high gain patches.

I love the 4:1 gate too, it is KILLER! What I do, is put the gate on the front end (the 4:1), and press the "lock"button. that way, it is assigned to every single patch already on the kemper. Of course I can turn it off and save it on whatever patch, but I love having it on pretty much every extremely high gain patch. Then, mess with the threshold level, it is that easy, very cool.

another tip. Run the cab volume high (3 or 4 decibles up) , it really brings every patch to live, but then you have to counter act the volume (not the master, the big knob at the bottom right) down, so it is not clipping. Not a big deal, but it reall ybrings patche to life, especially when using FRFR. Tweak Fischers SLO patches, they are ....ing INSANE, and sound just like an SLO. that searing high end is there, I mean its a freakin SLO in the kemper. In my opinion, the KPA , for striaght up tones and feel, beats the axe fx. THe liveliness of a real tube high gain amp is in those patches, IF the micing job was done right.

Alot of people will put up like, 10 patches of the same amp, with different micing techniques so you can decide for yourself what patches work for you. Downlaod them all, and then tweak to your liking. I am going FRFR as well. I am running my KPA through my VHT ultralead at the moment, and a deliverance 4x12, and while it sounds GREAT ( best sound I have ever had at band practice) the FRFR is the way to go, to get away from the tone coloring of the cabinet you are using. Honestly man, just start downloading, there are literally 100s of absolutely killer profiles to download. The Dr.Z patches are pheonominal, my favorite clean is the Mark V clean, tone matched for the Dream Theater "pull me under" clean in the beginning. It is dead on, period, end of story,

You can also mess around with the graphic Equalizers, and studio equalizers, they are strong as hell, but I feel are not needed in the least wtih the KPA. That is the biggest difference to me between the axe and the KPA. There is absolutely NO NEED to add tons of EQing to the KPA patches. maybe allittle more bass, or mids, or less treble etc with the onboard "normal amp" EQ that is on the kemper, but that is really it man, it works great.

So, check out the titan preamp clips, the Fryettes are all great, the Diezel VH4s are KILLER on channel 3, especially with a boost, the Diezel Herbert patches are phenominal etc. Just search in the rig exchange and start downloading, that is all I can really say.

I have been a tube junkey my entire life, and never thought this is where I would end up, but the KPA is really out of this world, and a god send for recording. The ability to have 10 different patches of a Diezel herbert, with different settings to your liking, with different effects etc, and have them all be phenominal, and bring it to a gig and plug in to the FOH and get amazing Diezel Herbert tones, is worth the price itself, let alone everything else it has to offer. have fun, the patches are like 1KB each, so go to town!

EDIT: Furthermore, on the issue of "how close it is to the real thing", I think at this point, with the technology that is available, it is irrelevant. Even if for some reason the profile you downlaoded is not 100 percent to the freakin T the same sound you are profiling( which, if you do it right, it is almost indistinguishable), you can EQ it just a tad, and get exactly the same tone, OR something you like just as much, if not BETTER than the original. You can do so much more than the original could ever do, because of the EQing abilities of the KPA. I find that sometimes, you loose a tad bit of bass with the profile, and maybe a hair (and I mean a Hair, really not even noticable to anyone but yourself) off the top end. Bump up the treble like .1, if that, and it is there, it really is that easy and good. The feel, the response etc is all there of the original. I have no idea how they do it, but it is there. I don't even mess with teh amp block much at all, there really is no need. You can mess with the definiting, the pick volume, power tube sag etc, but it really isn't "needed" per say, just adds a different feel. For instance, the bogner uber profile, I like to run the clarity up alittle bit, just because, well, the uber isn't my favorite amp in the world on it's own.
Unread 07-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Murder Machine

Sepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by axxessdenied View Post
Hope you're not in my town, or else we will be battling for who buys the first one!!
unless yer in the dirty shwa, yer all good mate

BEARDS: They Instantly Turn Any Man Into A Badass, It's Like Having Machine Guns On Your Face
Unread 07-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #11
Augminished Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
Awesome man thank you

I noticed that already with the screamer. When I first turned it on I cranked the volume and it sounded like shit. I was at first wondering what is wrong then I turned it down and it is brilliant.

I downloaded some more patches and it is certainly impressive. Can't wait to use it on some recording projects. I agree with you about "how close is it to the real thing". Its just amazing that it gets so close without even having to do much except turn the unit on. Again thank you dude.

Unread 07-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
Awaiting Boden8

jsl2h90 is a jewel in the rough
Forgive my ignorance (I've got an axe so I don't feel like researching anything else.... happy camper here) but it seems like you'd need to physically own all the amps you wanted to profile or be like Ola from Feared and just know someone who will let you borrow boutique amps all the time...*cough*lucky bastard*cough*

Are profile patches available for download or do they just expect you to sit in GC all day profiling their amps?

-In Maya's Grip, Illusion Transforms Verity...
-Will sell every piece of gear I have for an 8-string Jackson soloist (JSL2H8?)
jsl2h90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #13
Augminished Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl2h90 View Post
Forgive my ignorance (I've got an axe so I don't feel like researching anything else.... happy camper here) but it seems like you'd need to physically own all the amps you wanted to profile or be like Ola from Feared and just know someone who will let you borrow boutique amps all the time...*cough*lucky bastard*cough*

Are profile patches available for download or do they just expect you to sit in GC all day profiling their amps?
You can download profiles from their website. They have a ton of profiles and I see at least 10 new ones pop up per day. One of the reasons I bought this was because I have so many people bringing amps into my studio. Now I can profile my clients amps. I truly thought I would never buy another amp after the axe but I guess I was wrong.

Unread 07-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

WolleK is a jewel in the rough
If you want to go heavey, then download
- all patches by Juanma Blanco; especially the engl special edition are awesome
- all patches by andy44 (MarkV straight from hell)
- engl savage lead patch

and for clean
the absolute stunning morgan ac 20 patch

and tillīs extra cabs (its on the forum)
Augminished likes this.
WolleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

Seanthesheep is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolleK View Post
Still no sale in canada?
Last I checked, steves music store in toronto and montreal both had them instock for 1600$
Seanthesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #16
Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanthesheep View Post
Last I checked, steves music store in toronto and montreal both had them instock for 1600$
from what was said on the Kemper forum it's not even approved yet byt the CSA, so having them in stock and for immediate sale would technically be illegal until approval is given

Unread 07-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #17
Augminished Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolleK View Post
If you want to go heavey, then download
- all patches by Juanma Blanco; especially the engl special edition are awesome
- all patches by andy44 (MarkV straight from hell)
- engl savage lead patch

and for clean
the absolute stunning morgan ac 20 patch

and tillīs extra cabs (its on the forum)
Damn I love the Morgan AC 20. That is one of the best clean sounds I have heard. The Mark V clean is awesome as well. I am going to keep the unit for sure after hearing these and the VH4. Thanks guys

Unread 07-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

MikeSweeney is a jewel in the rough
Kemper Profiling Amplifier [9548] : Steve's Music Store, Guitars, Drums, Keyboards, Recording, PA, etc...
MikeSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

Seanthesheep is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
from what was said on the Kemper forum it's not even approved yet byt the CSA, so having them in stock and for immediate sale would technically be illegal until approval is given
Whats taking so long then? Id loveto try one but its not like this is a food product
Seanthesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #20
". . . . . . . ."

larry is just really nicelarry is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
you have the axe2 and a black kpa..
please make a vid of the two profileing
each other at the same time.

[kidding]

congrats man, i believe your search for
the ideal rig is over. dare i say, you won't
be gassing for much in the amp department.
though, when you give with one hand, you
take with the other. so your guitar gas will
skyrocket.

a wonderful problem to have my friend!!
Augminished likes this.

". . . . . . . ."
comissioned: sii-8 scale
larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #21
Assman McTrollster

axxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanthesheep View Post
Whats taking so long then? Id loveto try one but its not like this is a food product
It's been approved. Long & Mcquade is selling them for $1599 + tax apparently. They haven't updated their website with it yet, though. But, there are guys in the Kemper Forums who have got their KPA here in Canada

I want one!! Need to pay for the DC800 first. I'm considering selling my Gibson SG '61 and a couple other guitars to fund the KPA.....

The WIP Thread
Give feedback to others, and get some in return on your works in progress!

musical exploration - Check out my site.
check it out! [ SoundCloud ] [ YouTube Channel ][ Instagram ]

Looking for great strings for your ERG?
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sig...pic36618_2.gif
axxessdenied is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #22
SS.org Regular

Levi79 is a glorious beacon of lightLevi79 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Nice dude! I'm really curious what you think of it compared to the Axe II after having some time with it. Be sure to report back!
Augminished likes this.
Levi79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #23
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry View Post

[kidding]

skyrocket.

For me, this is pretty much spot on....

I can safely say, I have absolutely ZERO GAS to own another amp anytime soon. I seriously can not for the life of me think of why I would need to buy another amp again. I feel that the KPA is good enough that, if someone does a profile right, I safely can say that I think I know what the amp sounds like (the easy part for the KPA), and more importantly, what it feels like: yes it is THAT good. So in essence, yes, my guitar GAS has skyrocketed. Most of my guitars are pretty heavy in the pickup department (BKP's, EMGs etc) and I find myself GASing for other guitars such as teles, strats, etc to REALLY get those low gain and vintage tones to sing, and for another flavor that my current guitars can not pull off.

in other news, for those with the KPA 22 ENGL SE 670 PROFILES (yes, 22) were just put up on the rig exchange, and they are KILLER!!!! Go check them out. The new bogner uber ones are pretty awesome too if you are into the uber tone.
Augminished likes this.
Unread 07-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #24
Augminished Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry View Post

[kidding]

skyrocket.

Maybe I will make a vid of that. I am worried that the tone will be to extreme to handle though and I will create a black hole and destroy the planet

I hope you are right about my amp gas. But guitar gas has already skyrocketed. I just ordered a set of bareknuckles some laces and a new carvin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi79 View Post
Nice dude! I'm really curious what you think of it compared to the Axe II after having some time with it. Be sure to report back!
Will do. Right now, my thoughts are the Kemper seems to be easier to use since it is a bigger unit and you don't have to search to find every knob. Even though we just were talking about how it doesn't matter how close they are here are my thoughts For now I will say that the VH4 profiles are much much MUCH closer to the real deal then the axes model. The rectos and 5150's are pretty similar (on the axe and kemper) and very close to the real deal but the kemper is a bit closer. I will be using it with a recording session tomorrow so I will update after that.

Unread 07-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #25
Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxessdenied View Post
It's been approved. Long & Mcquade is selling them for $1599 + tax apparently. They haven't updated their website with it yet, though. But, there are guys in the Kemper Forums who have got their KPA here in Canada

I want one!! Need to pay for the DC800 first. I'm considering selling my Gibson SG '61 and a couple other guitars to fund the KPA.....
hot damn, can't wait to go bug my L&M lady and tell her i wants some sweet Kemper action, git me muh unit NOW